SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning (dreaming?) ahead to an early retirement, I have this notion that I wish to share. I hope to find out if any others in SailNet are doing something like this (or thinking of it).

How about buying a nice sloop to cruise the warmer climes (southern US and Caribbean) during the months of Nov-May, then spending the balance of the year in our condo in Florida. Yes, I know Florda is hot in the summer, but that''s my wife''s preferred temperature and I can get used to almost anything.

We''re already familiar with the Sanibel Island area (we own a modest rental condo there), so I believe that renting out the condo Nov-May would pay 2/3 of the carrying costs of the property.

A cruising budget of $2,000 a month sounds luxurious when using Larry and Sue''s figures (see their SailNet article).

Now, having a home-base offers advantages and disadvantages. Expecting to be home-bound for 5 months of the year means we''ll need a car - and storing a car for 5 months without use is hard on it. We would make a thorough plan before we get to far along, but I thought I would like to hear from other SailNet members first.

TIA,
Duane

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the good advice. I''m late in this last post since we were away for a few weeks.

Big Red and Speedy, you''re both in our "neck of the woods" in Lee County (we live in PA, but think of Sanibel as our home).

Big Red, I left a message for you on SailNet to email me. Please do; love to chat a bit.

Speedy, if you read this, please email me at [email protected] Sure sounds like you have a great dream waiting to happen soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.