SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Help!

I have just received my new sails from FX - very impressive, admirable workmanship and ingenuity!

I have sailed for a long time but have never had the pleasure (or the funds) to acquire NEW sails. Because of this I'm not really familiar with what sail cloth is like when its new. And furthermore don't know one sail cloth from another. ( I don't know what I got since I asked FX for the recommendation for my boat and my notes are at work).

My sails are crunchy, as in they crackle when they are moved, folded, or touched. They sound like they will break or crack - will they? I unboxed them and laid them out, when it was time to put them away I tried as best I could not to fold or wad them, instead tried to roll them. The cloth is so stiff it was not possible to not fold them.

Another question is on the battens. In order to stow the sails in the bags you have to take the longest 2 battens out. Is this normal? I've never pulled a batten in my life (other than to replace one that got split or something).

I sail a 1967 Venture 21 and the sails are a main and 130 Genoa.

Many thanks! Flat.

·
19,489 Posts
Welcome to the world of new sails... stiff, crunchy, loud when hoisted... it won't last but enjoy it for now.

It should be possible to roll the sail, and is better for it. If you roll the main, just roll it parallel to the axis of the battens. We used to roll the main on our last racer as it came off the mast, and stored the sail in a long tubular bag. We did the same with the jibs too.

Oh-and- no, they won't break or crack!

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
That would be because sails are treated with resin to give them their stiffness and crunchiness... they're good in milk that way... ;)

If you're bagging the sail... TAKE THE BATTENS OUT OF IT. ;)

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Now I know!

My new main is still in the box. So I know what to expect. I'm taking it out soon and will have the milk ready.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My sails are crunchy, as in they crackle when they are moved, folded, or touched. They sound like they will break or crack
You must be very, very careful with them. Wrap them well in tissue paper and put them to bed in a warm, safe place at night. Be careful carrying them - you don't want to drop them - the little darlings bruise easily. Be cautious about exposing them to the elements, they can easily become wet or soiled and nobody wants that for their nice new sails. Probably best to keep them in a well-ventilated cupboard and just take them out to show company. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to know

Thanks for the insight and tips. I would like to get it worked out to where I can fold the main once and then roll it. I'll put my wife to work on a new sail bag, this way I can leave the battens in. I can see a lot of wear and tear in pulling the battens each time we sail, the Velcro system that FX uses is very clever, but we all know how velcro does over time- no more stick soon.

One way or the other, we'll work it out.
Thanks for the link to folding them, that's how they came from the loft, good to see it illustrated.

Flat.
V-21
Quixotic

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
It's a Venture 21... a trailerable boat... so yes, he would be taking it off the boom each time he puts it on the trailer. :)

I don't follow... How would that work? Are you going to take it off the boom each time?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You nailed it Sailingdog. Since we don't keep her in a slip, set up and take down is an issue. Any item that can be left in a ready state is one less thing to fuss with. I don't mind the fussing, but sometimes my crew gets restless - don't want to provoke a mutiny!:laugher I love messing with rigging and ropes and such, but the kids have the "can we go yet?" approach. They'll get it eventually and understand that the journey is the destination.

Flat.
V-21
Quixotic

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Flat,

You are going to REALLY enjoy having new sails. It will be a completely different boat in a wonderful way. You will get off your ear, and the boat will sail in a whole lot less breeze;) .....i2f

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks i2f, I'll show your post to my first mate, she is still a little sticker shocked. I upsized to a 130 genny too, we only ran a standard jib previously, so this will be an added benefit. Here in the desert the wind is often light and while it makes for good lunch while under way sailing, it can also put one to sleep. I suspect if nothing else, the aforementioned crunching sound will help with that! We'll have to keep 'em tight.

Flat.
V-21
Quixotic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts