SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that soda cans are now made of tinfoil. With deep iceboxes like mine the bottom cans get crushed. Does anyone else have this problem. If so, did you find a solution?

Fair winds and following seas :)

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Given the pressure inside the can, there must be more to the story; they don't crush easily if you stand on them, and your box is not that deep. Are you cramming ice, using block ice, and then pushing the lid closed? Are the dents more than trivial? Are that cans in there for truly long periods, with stuff dumped on top of them?

And I've never kept more than ~ 8 cans in the cooler; just what I will need in the next 8 hours. I figure if I'm drinking more than a few each day, I need to switch to water. That much soda can't be good.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts
It seems that soda cans are now made of tinfoil. With deep iceboxes like mine the bottom cans get crushed. Does anyone else have this problem. If so, did you find a solution?

Fair winds and following seas :)
We have a relatively small refrigerator but a matching freezer so when traveling don't carry cans in frig but rely on ice to cool drinks. When traveling locally, though we do keep some canned and bottled beverages in the frig. What we have found most useful are small plastic baskets with fold-down handles, often sold in supermarkets, that just fit the width of our frig and stack neatly. Ours will hold quite a few bottles and cans, that are usually on or near the bottom of the box because it's coldest. Baskets above hold other items. The advantage to this arrangement is that one can pack items in layers and reach lower level items reasonably easily by just lifting out an entire basket when necessary to reach lower items. It prevents one having to "rummage" around for things that become all jumbled up or "squashed" and helps prevent spills. One trick we have found useful is to make a blanket of "Reflectix" sized to the length and width of the box that lays over the top of the contents and isolates the "cold" to the level in the box where there are food items as there's no sense in cooling empty space at the top of the box, eh?

FWIW...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use icebox. Glass and plastic at the bottom and cans sit on top of ice as I think the cold transfers better anyway and get just as cold as everything else submerged in ice.

-1 sodastream

[text removed by moderator]

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"I will just drop "
There ya go. If you place them or stack them or lay them, there's no problem. Drop a modern aluminum can, which is probably 20 year old tech by now, not new at all, and you can dent it. Take a minute longer to stack it, no problem.

Sodastream is a rip-off. $20 to swap a CO2 "charger" cartridge, when the paintball shops charge $3 to refill one that's the exact same size with the exact same gas. Can we say "gouging" ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
+1 on Sodastream. We really like ours. Janet has moved it home so we are back to cans on the boat except on longer cruises.
+1 on taking some care when loading the cooler. No dumping cans and ice like an chimpanzee on bath salts.

+2 on the Soda Stream! The CO2 cartridge last longer than $20 of soda.
Just purchased one for the boat.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
"The CO2 cartridge last longer than $20 of soda."
Last longer, maybe. Easier to carry, for sure.

Of course my local supermarket chain sells their brand (which is quite good) for $0.99 per two liters, and sometimes runs sales at two-fer-99c making the cost a whole 25c per liter. Sodastream...Even if you buy the humungo sized carts and system, never gets that cheap, does it?

Just saying...it costs a lot of money to transport and shelve two liters of "water", and yet, the supermarket still does it for half? the price of sodastream.

I used to use a CO2 soda maker, years ago, when the small cartridges were a dime apiece. (Each to make one liter.) These days? Wowser, has that market gone up. Buck apiece, unless you buy a hundred at a time, and that's still 50c per liter's worth.

Which one of these is just plain wrong: Gasoline, $3.69 per gallon, Milk, $3.69 per gallon, Coca-Cola, $3.89 per gallon (2x 2 liter) ??

I shoulda gone into the beverage business....

·
Old as Dirt!
3,488 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Just saying...it costs a lot of money to transport and shelve two liters of "water", and yet, the supermarket still does it for half? the price of sodastream.
Usually they don't have to transport it far. Bottling plants are all over the place, and use local water supplies to provide the raw material. And just because it says "Coca-Cola" on the sign doesn't mean it's not putting stuff into bottles marked "Schwepps" or "Seagram's".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts