SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for proper mast rake for our 1989 CS 36 Merlin hull #71
as have contradicting information and very little actual resource material
to go with. Backstay is non adjustable ie turnbuckle only Any thoughts or help appreciated

Thanks sailordave for correcting me with the hull # description field, but still looking for other Merlin owners to provide a bit of info on their mast rake, not mast bend.

·
19,485 Posts
We have some CS Merlin owners/past owners here, they should be along shortly ....

Generically, however, the amount of weather helm you routinely experience is a good indicator if your rake is too much or too little. If the helm loads up heavily going to weather in a breeze you may need less rake, but if lee helm or neutral helm is more common you'd need more.

If the boat 'feels OK' under sail close hauled then it's probably more a matter of trim and/or bend.

In addition, the condition/shape of the your sails will also contribute..

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not sure I'm the best source, but here goes. My mast is pretty much set up vertical. That said, I do have a NAVTEC hydraulic backstay tensioner and this week the sailmaker and I were playing w/ it. I can put about 3 inches of bend in the mast at max setting.
Now that is bend, not rake. You're probably best w/ getting your local rigger and sailmaker to take a look. Some boats are very sensitive to rake when it comes to getting the best performance while others are less so.
My .02 is that the MERLIN probably is designed to be sailed w/a vertical mast and tweaked w/ small amounts of bend. And w/ an ISOMAT mast section that is going to be limited because of the extrusion on the front of the mast for the spinnaker car.

Hope this helps.

PS. Just remember, you can use the babystay to induce a little bend also.

PPS. Are you sure you're hull # 271? It's probably 71. You can get the hull number from the HIN. After ZCUS, the next four numbers are the hull number. Disregard the leading "62".

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Mine's pretty straight... I'll check tomorrow...I also have an adjustable backstay, although it's mechanical, not hydraulic.

It's a pretty stiff spar.. I'm surprised about the 3", SailorDave.. I will check that too.

Was that fast enough, Ron?

Reactions: Faster

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I lied.. I didn't check the mast yesterday. We got distracted.. I will check it next time I am at the boat.. Hopefully next week.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
David, you probably have more flex than you think, being as you have a mini forestay on your boat like I do. That was used to keep lighter built spars from pumping.

With this in mind, it would not be hard for the OP to install an adjustable back stay. Very usefull in higher winds etc. I also keep the mast pretty upright when not being sailed.

My comments come from owning a Tony Castro design boat, not a CS.

Marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts