SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I know on the later models, they changed the bridge deck/companionway ladder as described above. I used to think the huge bridge deck was a waste of space, but it is actually quite useful for temporarily placing stuff when you move it below. It's also a nice perch when it's cold and rainy, and the autopilot is on.

I really like my Merlin after having her for over 3 years. She's fast, comfortable and fun.

Last Sunday we raced her in rain and sleet. Making over 6.5 knots close hauled in about 12 knots of wind. We finished the race tired and cold.

Turned on the heater, and went down below afterwards for hot chocolate, soup, and conversation. Had nice furniture to sit on too! (Missed you, Marty, you coward!)

That's my Merlin.. Fun to sail, and very comfortable

Reactions: Faster

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Mainesail has a CS 36 Traditional, not a Merlin Different designer.. Different boat

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Bee:

I have a 1987 Merlin that I bought 3-1/2 years ago. The boat was in good shape when I bought it. The keel was loose, which was discovered at survey, and I had it rebedded. There was also minor blistering that showed up as well. I have ignored them, and they have not gotten worse. They weren't even visible on my last haul.

There is a crack on the starboard settee, which was apparently from the water tank being filled up to quickly. There also appears to be some settling of the liner, which is common for the boat.

The only apparent alterations to the boat was the traveler was moved aft, and I have a rigid boom vang.

Personally, I haven't done much other than add a Max Prop

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It's a fin keel.

Filling the tank up seemed weird too. But I can see it happening. The tanks are huge (>120 Gallon for both of them) and the pipe for venting, and cross-connecting between the port and starboard tanks are only 1/2"... If you get impatient, because they are so large, you tend to want to crank up the water flow pretty high.... The hose mostly covers up the filler tube, and voila, you are pressurizing the tank.

I thought the story wasn't particularly believable at the time, but the surveyor agreed that could be the case. In my personal experience, I can see how it could happen, and I do not doubt the veracity of the previous owner

I will try and find a photo of the traveler. Not sure if I have one... I will check

Yes, the stairs are steep. I've grown comfortable with them over time. The grab rails are in a good spot, and as long as you go down facing the stairs, it's not too bad. My 82 year old father has learned to navigate them.

I have learned over several boat purchases to not mess with much until you've spent a few years with it. The wisdom of previous owners generally takes a while to become apparent.

Some pictures here
Kyrie 36 Photos by djodenda | Photobucket

Also, I forgot to mention that I had cracked stanchion bases. A common problem with the boat and a pain to fix.

Feel free to PM me, if you want to chat by phone.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes.. that's where my traveler is...

She's fast. She likes some heel, keep weight forward downwind in light air.

She has a relatively wide groove... Play around until you find it.

And you owe us photos once you own her.

Does she have a windlass? Be curious to see the installation if so.

The short traveler is limiting. You can do quite a bit to control sail shape despite that using a rigid vang

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Oh.. and I am having an adjustable backstay and babystay added to the boat ...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
David.. babystay? Excessive pumping? or just mast shape measure?
I want to be able to remove the babystay when I am flying the spinnaker and/or flying a big genoa. Makes it hard to tack/gybe the chute.

The mast section is pretty stout, so I doubt I will be able to bend it much, but we shall see.

Never had any "pumping", but there is some annoying shaking/vibration when the mainsail is down, and there is some wind.

The rigger recommended a 6:1 block and tackle with a snap shackle at the bottom. So, we'll try that.

If I'm making a mistake, let me know quick. Work authorized, but not completed!

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Marty:

The boat came with a babystay.. It's just connected to the deck with a turnbuckle.. I remove it when i have a big genoa up or am flying the chute.. The reasons I described above are why I want to be able to disconnect it easily.

Sorry that my beer supply is less convenient to you and your crew. Just stop by, though, and beverages will be provided.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Thanks, BoatPoker...

Let me take some pictures... I'll post them.
I don't think I have the issues you described, but would be grateful for your input.

David

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Photo of the windlass taken during the boat tour attached.

Contract changes have been approved by owner. We'll be signing tonight.... aided by a few very dry martinis.
Thank you for the picture.. Does the windlass protrude above the anchor hatch when it is closed?

And congratulations!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
And I too plan to change over to a Max Prop this season. What size did you get; 17x14?

My mainsheet had what I suspect was the original 4:1 setup; I've seen upgraded to a 6:1. Much easier on the back! And I'm considering putting a fine tune on that! Kept the original setup/sheet for backup as well as clipping on to the boom and using it as a hoist.
I will validate my Max Prop size and settings for you. You have the original Volvo 2003 engine, right?

My mainsheet is 6:1

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
No, it all closes up very neatly. He's also built out an anchor mount and railing out over the bow (photos with windlass hatch open and closed attached) ..... and thanks!

Oh, and yes you are seeing what you think you are seeing. He somehow managed to bend the anchor.
I'd be grateful to hear your experiences with the windlass.. I'm wondering if there is enough space below the windlass for the chain do come off cleanly..

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
As soon as I have some, I'll share them.

In exchange, I'd be curious to know if you employed a de-naming/re-naming ceremony for your boat. It appeared to me in your photos as if the name of the boat had been changed. I will eventually be needing a similar ceremony.
Fair enough..

The boat was originally named "C'est La Vie". I renamed her to "Kyrie".. My past four keel boats have all been named "Kyrie", which is a Greek word that means, more or less, "Lord"... More relevant is that the "Kyrie" is a song that is used in many Christian worship services, where the congregation asks for God's mercy. For me, it's the perfect name for my little boat in the big water.

Very few people "get" the name, but it's really special when they do.

Then there's the whole "Mister Mister" reference, that I don't feel the need to discuss. :)

As far as a naming ceremony, it was simple. It involved the sacramental depressing of the keyboard, where I ordered the vinyl letters from Boat US, as well as the hour of contemplation where I figured out the right placement.

There has been much discussion of naming ceremonies on Sailnet. Search away!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.