SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My wife and I are looking for our first cruising boat and have found two fantastic potential candidates in a 1989 CS36 Merlin and a 1990 CS36 Merlin. We've seen the 89 and it looks to be in fantastic condition, lovingly maintained with numerous upgrades.

What I'd like to get is input from more experienced CS owners. What are the traits of the Merlin? Have you encountered any significant issues? How did the design change from '89 to '90? Is there anything in particular you think I should look at closely before making an offer? Are there any CS owner clubs on Lake Ontario? What is the support structure like for this boat?

I'm ready to put down my money but am always looking for more information. If there are any CS pros out there who can help me make my decision easier, I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers!

G

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt there'd be much difference between the two merlin models.. they are nice boats. At some point they added a transom platform, that's a plus if you're comparing two of them.
I thought the same thing until I looked at them. The traveller in the 89 is in the cockpit, but in the 90 they moved it to the coach roof. Also, the companionway in the 89 is a ladder, but in the 90 they extended it out into a stairway over the motor.

So far we've only seen the 89, but hoping to see the 90 as soon as the snow melts enough to get to it.... (gotta love the Ontario snow belt!)

Cheers!

G

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny you listed that one, rugosa.
We viewed it on the weekend and are making an offer this week.
If all goes well, this will be our new boat.
We are very nervous and excited at the same time.

I'm grateful for the comments I've received so far, and look forward to any feedback the Sailnet community can offer us on owning and caring for a Merlin.

Pending a survey and sea trial, the Humoresque may be ours! :D :D :D

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mainesail has a CS 36 Traditional, not a Merlin Different designer.. Different boat
Just now realizing that you are the person someone told me to seek out. You own a Merlin? What year? What condition? Has your boat had any significant alterations? What kind of maintenance issues have you encountered?

Cheers!

G

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is your model a wing keel? fin? bulb?

Filling the water tank too quickly? Really? Never heard of that.

Do you have a photo of how the traveller is set up? Are you happy with its new position? Does it allow for a full enclosure under sail?

I'm considering the possibility of extending the steps in the companionway to create a less steep access. Any ideas?

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all this, David.
The '89 has the traveller placed right in front of the binnacle, which it appears to be where yours is now. The '90 model moved it to the coach roof.

Our boat (knock on wood) is a wing rather than fin keel. Not my favorite, but the previous owner installed forward-facing sonar to avoid grounding it.

The companionway steps are fully removable so I'm hoping I can modify them enough that the angle is just a little bit flatter.... either way I won't be making any changes in the first season. Learning the boat comes first.

The boat is in great shape but appears that it has not been sailed hard in a while. Hopefully we'll be able to open her up and see if the rumors about the Merlin's performance are true.

Cheers!

G

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, price settled with owner. A few minor changes to the contract and we'll probably sign over the weekend.

I'm trying hard to stay calm but failing miserably. Considering getting a t-shirt that says "My Mast is Pumping", just because the phrase amuses me. Looking forward to the sea trial to see what kind of tacking angle she can manage.

My history with charter boats has not given me a great deal of expectation wrt to upwind performance. Hopefully, my own boat will be better.

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thank you for the picture.. Does the windlass protrude above the anchor hatch when it is closed?

And congratulations!
No, it all closes up very neatly. He's also built out an anchor mount and railing out over the bow (photos with windlass hatch open and closed attached) ..... and thanks!

Oh, and yes you are seeing what you think you are seeing. He somehow managed to bend the anchor.

Attachments

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
.... and teak cockpit decks (shown) and corner seating (shown) and removable bug screens for all the hatches (shown) and customized propane lockers under the helm seat for the stove and barbeque (shown).

:)

Attachments

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I'd be grateful to hear your experiences with the windlass.. I'm wondering if there is enough space below the windlass for the chain do come off cleanly..
As soon as I have some, I'll share them.

In exchange, I'd be curious to know if you employed a de-naming/re-naming ceremony for your boat. It appeared to me in your photos as if the name of the boat had been changed. I will eventually be needing a similar ceremony.

·
CS36 Merlin - O Pato
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
H Vasco,

She looks beautiful. May I ask why you replaced the Volvo engine? I've seen a 1990 model with the engine replaced as well. I haven't heard anything bad about the Volvo.

Do you have more photos of the boat I could see?

Cheers!

G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.