SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
19,484 Posts
I met the designer once, Ray Wahl, I think was his name. He is a very capable designer and a nice guy. I always thought those boats were very well built.
Bob... the CS 36Ts (and 33, 27 and Quanta 28) were designed by Ray.. The CS Merlin 36, 40 and 44 were Tony Castro designs.

Ray Wahl (Wall?) IS a great guy, came out of Camper Nicholson and was willing to talk to me about our (originally) Nicholson boat even though he'd moved on by then.

I doubt there'd be much difference between the two merlin models.. they are nice boats. At some point they added a transom platform, that's a plus if you're comparing two of them.

·
19,484 Posts
Friends of ours have a 36M and routinely spend up to 4-8 weeks cruising summers in BC.. djodenda's boat used to be in our club, the former owners still miss her (but are glad she's in good hands)

The Merlin is newer, probably nimbler and sleeker looking than the 36T but by all accounts shares her owners' loyalty and great reputation.

·
19,484 Posts
David.. babystay? Excessive pumping? or just mast shape measure?

·
19,484 Posts
Don't know about 'mistake', but having had a baby stay its a pretty major PITA gybing. Removable is good. Our last boat was masthead double inline spreaders and did the same vibrating esp in a crosswind. Other than the nuisance factor when on board we never worried about it, and there was never an issue under sail.. YMMV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.