SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've got a 1989 model. They changed the companionway from a ladder to the split stairs because (so I heard) on an early model the company had to do an engine change under warranty and it was a B###h to get it out.
That said, I love mine! I do have to watch my depth as I've got the deep keel (6'3") and it has smudged bottom a few times on Chesapeake Bay.
Handles well, fast and would probably sail better with new sails.
One thing I'm not sure I like is water tanks take up all of both settees. I'd rather have less tankage and a secure place to put my tool bags. The traveler is really not very useful in the cockpit but it's great for single handing as I can adjust the main and jib from the helm.
The Volvo 2003 is pretty reliable; doesn't have glow plugs but when it's cold you pull the engine kill out for a few seconds, then push it back in and that seems to help. (I have no clue as to the science behind THAT! Just something that was told to me)
I suspect it cuts off the fuel momentarily and allows the engine to turn w/o getting fuel and build up heat by compression.
I don't know that we'd do any lengthy cruising in her but we did 9 days last fall and loved it. Plan to do that again as well as go to New England for a month or so eventually. Could possibly see us going to the Bahamas too, we'll see.

Good boat!

·
Registered
678 Posts
There is a crack on the starboard settee, which was apparently from the water tank being filled up to quickly. There also appears to be some settling of the liner, which is common for the boat.

Personally, I haven't done much other than add a Max Prop
Ah HA! I too have a crack in the starboard settee. Prev. Owner said it was from a rather heavy crew member that got tossed in rough weather. Always thought that seemed odd. I suspect your reasoning is much more accurate!
And I too looked around for other hairline fractures; none to be found.

And I too plan to change over to a Max Prop this season. What size did you get; 17x14?

My boat also came w/ a baby stay; detachable and rigged w/ a 4:1 line.

My mainsheet had what I suspect was the original 4:1 setup; I've seen upgraded to a 6:1. Much easier on the back! And I'm considering putting a fine tune on that! Kept the original setup/sheet for backup as well as clipping on to the boom and using it as a hoist.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I will validate my Max Prop size and settings for you. You have the original Volvo 2003 engine, right?

My mainsheet is 6:1
Yep. Volvo Penta 2003

My buddy has a CS 40 w/ the Turbocharged version and the same MS2 tranny. His tranny went out on the way from Newport back to the Chesapeake after last year's Annap/Newport race. Turns out you can't get MS2 parts! Had to find another tranny and scavenge the parts. But his boat has been ridden hard.

Baby your engine/tranny!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.