SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, what do you think of this CT54? I'm making arrangements to go see her.

ct54Pilgrim

Intent is year-round live aboard with wife and 7yo daughter in New England. Any thoughts/comments on or experience with this boat would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Love the look. Feels like a real sailboat, not a modern technological miracle that an MBA insured was built within strict cost controls. You know, like mine. :)

One must survey a boat of this age very rigorously to know what you're getting into. Don't just take the best price per foot. You want someone who will be thorough. I think it takes two people (surveyor and helper) and the better part of two days to do right.

It looks like there would be a fair amount of foredeck work to sail her, so she's probably not a great shorthanded boat. That's only a presumption. I also wonder how she behaves on her ear. Bob would certainly know for certain on each of these.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my very first grp design, a nice looking boat in my opinion that sails surprisingly well for the type.
Gorgeous boat for sure. Thanks for making them happen, Bob...From what I'm reading there may have been a significant change in construction of these beauties after 1981, that the decks tended to have more problems with rot/leak prior to that date (this one is a 1980). True? Any other important known issues? I don't want my emotion to run rampant with my checkbook just yet...

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
A good liveaboard choice for a family.

Check the decks very carefully. At 34 years old the teak decks may need replacing soon and there are known issues with the cored decks having rot problems due to water ingress.

Also the fuel and water tanks if original black iron will be approaching the end of their life.

The engine is an old design but in widespread use with good spares availability. The generator is a well respected one. It might be worth looking closely at the hours and maintenance records though for both. Problems with either would not be a deal breaker for me as rebuilds are easy and the price known.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The ad says many "upgrades" but I see way old electronics ( I wouldn't care) old ford engine ( no mention of rebuild) no mention of rigging. What upgrades????? Price is high unless major things have been done.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,651 Posts
friends of mine had one cruising mexico..until he died was well maintained with good and current electronix.
is now for sale in san diego...is not high priced and is a gorgeous boat. he liked it so much he had it for 26 years. has ALL latest stuff. good boat.,. very comfortable interior, has awesome galley.
if i could afford i would have bought it in a heartbeat. even sails better than my 41..lol
this one is named journey.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
friends of mine had one cruising mexico..until he died was well maintained with good and current electronix.
is now for sale in san diego...is not high priced and is a gorgeous boat. he liked it so much he had it for 26 years. has ALL latest stuff. good boat.,. very comfortable interior, has awesome galley.
if i could afford i would have bought it in a heartbeat. even sails better than my 41..lol
this one is named journey.
Wow, Journey looks gorgeous. Thanks for the tip. I have no idea what kind of project it would be to get her to the East Coast, though. Lots of $$ to do that I'm sure.

Bob P, you can expect me to contact you through your site for the consulting service, which is exactly what I need. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
It's certainly a beautiful boat. I'm a sucker for the classic look.

·
grumpy old man
5,893 Posts
I was a kid when I drew that boat. I didn't have a pot to piss in but I threw my heart and soul into that design. Ted Brewer helped me with the structure. Good old Ted. They buil 100 CT54's. My royalty was $350 a boat. They paid me $700 for the design.

·
Sailing Guy
12 Posts
I have owned a CT equivalent vessel in the past. They are brute heavy displacement boats built in Taiwan. Usually, very teaky below, lots of teak above. Must like varnishing. For mainly live-aboard, would look at production boats like Catalina, Jenneau, or Beneteau which are beamier for the given length and have more open spaces. But in the end, it is what you like.

Fair Winds,
Steve Szirom

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Most marinas charge by the maximum length of the vessel. Looks like you are going to pay for 5 or 6 extra feet of dock space off the bow than you get to live in. Something to think about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder do teak decks necessarily require shrink wrap in the winter? I see a lot of live aboards do without, and I was hoping to avoid living under all that plastic, but I'm picturing ice and snow just destroying all that wood....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.