SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Obama winning the election and Hillary voicing the intent to open up Cuba I am happy I didn’t burn my Cuba courtesy flag, charts and cruising guides. A few years ago it sounded like King George II would be confiscating your boat if there was equipment on board that would allow travel to Cuba. I hope with the change in our government the embargo against Cuba will be rescinded quickly. I would love to plan a circumnavigation of Cuba before I get to old to do it. Does anyone who remembers the old days when Americans could cruise Cuban waters have any suggestions regarding “Must See” places or ports?

·
Registered
801 Posts
/chuckle

I didn't say anything at all, what are you worried about CD?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thinking what? /snicker

·
Registered
196 Posts
Two things I can help with

At my last visit you were able to get a one year cruising permit and the best cruising was on the south coast. The best beaches are on the north coast. The only three marinas I am aware of are in Varadero, Havana and San Antonio on the west coast. Matanzas is a commercial port and the anchorage is rough and rolly. The best anchorage in my opinion is on the south coast at Trinidad.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
You can circumnavigate Cuba now without help from the Obama administration. I recommend visiting Guantanamo Bay. It's beautiful this time of year and it's inhabitants are some of the finest people you'll meet anywhere.

I'd avoid the northern coast as much as possible given the large amount of unlit small boat traffic you can encounter there. The operators of these boats are, for some reason, never very experienced in seamanship. They're friendly enough but you should avoid them as they're a navigational hazard as well as somewhat obtuse. For instance, if you were to invite one on board, by way of helping him out with his leaking boat, you might find you have trouble getting him to leave your boat. if you sail towards the Florida Keys and tow his boat behind you, he'll tend to calm down and prove quite helpful about the boat. Usually they'll be willing to get back into their own boat when in sight of US land. You can spend quite an enjoyable summer sailing back and forth with these people if you so desire.

I hope this has been of help in your planning.

·
Picnic Sailor
2,122 Posts
You probably already know this but on the off chance that you don't, can I recommend that you look at noonsite.... It has some pretty decent info on there about facilities, anchorages etc for Cuba.

hey who's this Obama guy?? Can someone call him and tell him to stop hogging Youtube :)

·
Banned
273 Posts
Yeah I'm here for sailing too, but Obama is way better than that last moron in office.

The site is full of great sailing information.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I just read that they ARE going to loosen the rules but it didnt look like it was enough to be able to sail there. It sounds like they are just going to make it easier for family members to go back and forth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts