SailNet Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
Will access to Cuba by Americans make it easier to sail to the Caribbean from Florida?
Only if you are going west. If you are considering going from the Keys to Cuba and then to the Leewards, you'd be pretty much be going directly into the easterlies and against the current. It would be a much easier to do the Norfolk or Charleston open ocean sail, IMO.
I've done a Great Inagua to St. T. delivery and it was not a pleasant trip. Double reef the main and crank up the iron genoa to 1800 rpm's.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd love to sail around Cuba but I have moral qualms about doing so when every cent you spend there goes to support a dictatorship. Some Americans think that people held against their will in poverty is "quaint" but if I saw a few Taco Bells catering to Cubans I'd know that Freedom had come at last.
If I went, tipping does not help the people because the law says that tips must be handed over to the govt. So, what small things could one give to helpful people there without causing problems? Small cans of condensed milk are legit on sailboats and with a tiny ration of milk/family there it might be helpful to someone.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, I agree the posting of Viva La Revolucion and saying that americans might screw it up was political.

However, wondering how to pay people without using money is not. I wonder if barter is allowed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We have cruised the entire south coast of Cuba and will return as soon as it's possible or if we get another writing assignment. For a glimpse of what that might be like, have a look at our blog post taken from an article we had published in Soundings Magazine. http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot....a-east-to.html . Nothing has changed as far as travel restrictions and that will probably remain as is for quite some time. The "normalization of relations" simply means more diplomatic contact and the possibility of more business relations with Cuba. The embargo and travel restrictions can only be lifted through an act of Congress and that will not happen in the near future. But it is the first step. Chuck

·
Registered
847 Posts
Will access to Cuba by Americans make it easier to sail to the Caribbean from Florida?
The 10th (and last) edition of Bruce Van Sant's book Passages South mentions sailing the north coast of Cuba using the night lee, but he says to expect longer waits for windows and shorter legs.

Sounds like no advantage over going through the Bahamas.

·
old guy :)
1,061 Posts
However, wondering how to pay people without using money is not.
Funny statement :)

We were down there the last two winters and they take payment in money just like anybody else. All you have to do is use currency they accept.

My wife and my sister.

"Take me out to the ball game..." (if you look closely you can see the ball - it was the first pitch of the game.)

Rik

·
Registered
270 Posts
We were in Cayo Santa Maria last Jan for a week. All of the the staff take tips either Cuban pesos or US$. The pesos were a better deal for us and represent a big deal of $ for the staff. The tour organizer at the resort made 50 pesos a month....I tipped that in a few days to the wait staff. No longer do they want things like shampoo and soap....they can buy the same Chinese dollar store crap that we get back home so they prefer cash.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was recently telling the Cubans not to expect the door to the U.S. to open much wider. The steps taken so far was a political move to appease surrounding Spanish speaking countries. The administrations next step will most likely be toward Mr. Chavez's electorate, and cheap oil. Hola!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts