SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A heads up - a CNN reporter came down and interviewed me because we know the alleged Cuban Spies. It's going to be on the Wolf Blitzer show which airs from 4 PM to 7 PM either tonight (Tuesday June 9) or tomorrow (Wednesday - do the math).

Can you tell I'm a little excited about this? I've never been on TV before. Another check mark in the life experiences column. The reporter said I looked so salty that they won't believe I'm not from central casting. (I do cultivate the look.)

So if you feel so inclined you can watch Cap'n Larry make a fool of himself in front of thousands or (good god) millions!!:eek:

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
SWEET! Put up a link if the story is online. This will be cool!

Did you use the Santa and Bunny thing again? That was classic. Kind of like "The Falcon and the Snowman".

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I hit 'em with the Santa - left out the Bunny - so overused you know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'd be really careful about admitting association with the spies. You never know how our government likes to connect the dots. Remember the Hollywood black lists of the '50's???!!!! Ha Ha!! :)

·
AEOLUS II
2,938 Posts
I'm thinking one of my slipmates is a spy...

When they come interview me, I'll say "Oh, sure, I had him pegged as an old bitter Commie a long time ago!!

They always have the nicests boats and homes. That's just how they roll!!"

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I just heard on fox news that the "spies" are sailors and were planning on cruising the islands.

EDIT: I did not see the other thread on this when I posted the above.

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was on last night a little after 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Wolf Blitzer show. There (justifiably) seems to be no link to it. I had to go to my daughter's place to see it because we got rid of our satellite TV and don't get CNN. It was kind of disappointing - first they showed me walking down the dock - my daughter has a wide screen TV and I looked about 3 feet tall and two feet wide. I'm now on a diet. Anyhow, the dock walk lasted about 2 seconds, a friend on the boat next to mine hollered and I exhibited an idiotic grin.:D

Then, onto the close up, my face fills one side of the screen with Myer's boat in the background. I'm in need of a shave and have a disreputably dirty hat on. I'm saying, "I couldn't have been more flabbergasted if they had arrested Santa Claus. I was astounded..." So there it is, my chance in the limelight and I blew it. Trust me - you don't need to see it.:eek:

Oh, well, back to work. Today I go back to being just an ordinary citizen... basking in the fading limelight of past dubious accomplishments. Once having had the taste of glory though, it's hard, it's very hard to go back to my old life and my less than ordinary associates who out of jealousy will disdain the lofty pillar on which society has so cruelly and temporarily placed me. But I shall go on, dabbling in mediocrity and endeavoring to no longer waddle... or split infinitives.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
It was on last night a little after 5:00 PM (EDT) on the Wolf Blitzer show. There (justifiably) seems to be no link to it. I had to go to my daughter's place to see it because we got rid of our satellite TV and don't get CNN. It was kind of disappointing - first they showed me walking down the dock - my daughter has a wide screen TV and I looked about 3 feet tall and two feet wide. I'm now on a diet. Anyhow, the dock walk lasted about 2 seconds, a friend on the boat next to mine hollered and I exhibited an idiotic grin.:D

Then, onto the close up, my face fills one side of the screen with Myer's boat in the background. I'm in need of a shave and have a disreputably dirty hat on. I'm saying, "I couldn't have been more flabbergasted if they had arrested Santa Claus. I was astounded..." So there it is, my chance in the limelight and I blew it. Trust me - you don't need to see it.:eek:

Oh, well, back to work. Today I go back to being just an ordinary citizen... basking in the fading limelight of past dubious accomplishments. Once having had the taste of glory though, it's hard, it's very hard to go back to my old life and my less than ordinary associates who out of jealousy will disdain the lofty pillar on which society has so cruelly and temporarily placed me. But I shall go on, dabbling in mediocrity and endeavoring to no longer waddle... or split infinitives.:rolleyes:
Dude - you said "flabbergasted" on CNN?!?! Oh, man, EVERYONE knows you don't drop the F-bomb on the news channel! Especially in the same sentence as Santa Claus!

You really need to get a manager, a "posse", and a habit. Then you'll be ready for the big show.

Keep it real.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Relax, Larry.

The latest statistics show that the clip was seen by approximately 25 people, mostly in Massachusetts, and maybe 26 if Bill from Chapaqua was home already. The only thing watched on CNN any more is Robin Meade and she's on Headline News, not CNN itself. You get on with her and you'll probably land some offers to guest star as your scruffy self in a soap opera or two. (g)

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
....The only thing watched on CNN any more is Robin Meade and she's on Headline News, not CNN itself. You get it on with her and you'll probably land some offers to guest star as your scruffy self in a soap opera or two. (g)
Fixed.:laugher Or maybe the movie remake of "Gilligan's Island," with Larry as Skipper and Robin Meade as MaryAnn. Hubba hubba.

Heard the Santa Claus bit quoted on NPR (Ah ahm fahhh too highbrow to watch CNN, peasants). Thought "Hey, this whole Cuban Santa thing is going viral! Larry's spawned a meme!"

·
Swab
825 Posts
A heads up - a CNN reporter came down and interviewed me because we know the alleged Cuban Spies. It's going to be on the Wolf Blitzer show which airs from 4 PM to 7 PM either tonight (Tuesday June 9) or tomorrow (Wednesday - do the math).

Can you tell I'm a little excited about this? I've never been on TV before. Another check mark in the life experiences column. The reporter said I looked so salty that they won't believe I'm not from central casting. (I do cultivate the look.)

So if you feel so inclined you can watch Cap'n Larry make a fool of himself in front of thousands or (good god) millions!!:eek:
I know exactly how you feel. I was in the Peanut Gallery on the Howdy Doody Show once.:)

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Didn't Howdy end up in prison in the late '60s? Either a drug bust or prostitution racket...I can't remember for sure. I do remember reading quotes comparing him to Santa Claus.

NEVER trust a doll with freckles. That's my motto.

·
Swab
825 Posts
That's right. He was pimping out Princess Summerfall Winterspring until she and Clarabell started getting kinky with the Flub-a-Dub. Buffalo Bob (Howdy's secret lover) and Chief Thunderthud eventually put a stop to it and Howdy went on to sell Shamwows on late night TV.

It is a little known fact that after Clarabell got out of re-hab, he re-emerged as Captain Kangaroo:eek:

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Strange as it may seem, we knew two people who were in the Peanut Gallery; Dave Whipple, who ended up a DJ on a radio station on in Warren, PA which specialized in drivel and Lawrence Welk music. (The radio station, not Warren, PA.) The other is Helen Stephan - her married name, I don't know her maiden name, which I suspect she was using in her Howdy years. Her father was in the legal department for the TV station - may have represented Howdy in his many legal matters. Did you know either, vega1860? Obviously, we both travel in lofty circles.

·
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, this is getting out of hand - a guy from a London Newspaper called and wants to interview me tomorrow. (He's only coming from D.C. about 45 minutes from here.) I have no idea how he got my phone number. Now I have to come up with something to top the Santa Clause bit. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts