SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be spending part of the winter sailing in the Spanish Virgins. While this will be my third time in Culebra and have done a lot of snorkeling on the west side of the island. I was wondering if it might be worth a try on the west side of Luis Pena island 18°17'58.90" N 65°19'54.68" W. I've seen masts at this location when anchored on the other side of the island previously (Google Earth image has a catamaran there too) but, I was wondering if the snorkeling was good at that location. Anyone have local knowledge about the site?

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
I never found the snorkeling to be especially good on the west side. It is a very protected place to hang out for the day. It is illegal to overnight at Luis Pena. Cayo Luis Peña - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are moorings in there and a lot of sand on the bottom. I preferred anchoring on the north side and snorkeling along the northwest edge where there is more structure, like coral and rock.

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
973 Posts
Contact my friends, Todd and Michelle Plaia, at Culebra Divers. They're very nice and likely would give you some suggestions, but feel free to tell them Carliane sent ya. I dove/snorkeled the west side a long time ago and there wasn't much there that I recall.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Wow, the last time I was at Culebra one side of the island was a U.S. Naval artillery range - that was in 1958. It was a pretty neat island on the opposite side, though.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FarCry:

Definitely will have to check that out area out Thanks!

I never found the snorkeling to be especially good on the west side. It is a very protected place to hang out for the day. It is legal to overnight at Luis Pena. Cayo Luis Peña - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are moorings in there and a lot of sand on the bottom. I preferred anchoring on the north side and snorkeling along the northwest edge where there is more structure, like coral and rock.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Contact my friends, Todd and Michelle Plaia, at Culebra Divers. They're very nice and likely would give you some suggestions, but feel free to tell them Carliane sent ya. I dove/snorkeled the west side a long time ago and there wasn't much there that I recall.
Thanks for the tip. We are also divers but, my gal no longer likes strapping 80 lb tanks to her sensitive back. So snorkeling is what she loves these days. Though I will keep them in mind. This will be out third cruise through the area so we were looking for some new spots to check out before we head over to Vieques.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, the last time I was at Culebra one side of the island was a U.S. Naval artillery range - that was in 1958. It was a pretty neat island on the opposite side, though.

Good Luck,

Gary :cool:
Wow that was before they moved the bombing over to Vieques. You might like to read Hunter Thompson's Rum Diary. It takes place in Puerto Rico back in the early 1960's. He mentions the Culebra bombing range. Warning: the Johnny Depp movie based on the book was AWFUL!
But, the book was a good read.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a typo in my response. It should read that it is illegal to spend the night on Luis Pena and my memory of same was confirmed with the Wiki link.
We will be on a 45 foot catamaran either anchored or on a mooring (if available). We are not going to be staying on the island. I assume that would be ok? If not I guess we will head back toward Culebra for the night.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just got back from our charter in the Spanish Virgins just wanted to thank everyone for the tips. Got to snorkel that northwest ledge. Which turned out to be pretty good when the wind from the south made the west side reefs kind of murky. Also anchored overnight on the west side of Luis Pena island. Snorkeling was ok. But, discovered two Lionfish on the north side reef. Reported it to the Lionfish hotline. Capt. was able to kill one with a Hawaiian sling the next morning. Nice cruise along with a few days on Vieques. Unfortunately, I'm going home to a blizzard warning in the forecast.:(

·
Freedom 39
1,156 Posts
Thanks for reporting back. Glad you had a good time. I was there for a week over Christmas. I plan to do that again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In general, how would you folks rate the snorkeling around Culebra as compared to, other islands in the Bahamas And Caribbean?

I've done snorkeling in BVI and Abacos, which was so-so compared to Belize. Am wondering how Culebra compares.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In general, how would you folks rate the snorkeling around Culebra as compared to, other islands in the Bahamas And Caribbean?

I've done snorkeling in BVI and Abacos, which was so-so compared to Belize. Am wondering how Culebra compares.
Love Culebra for snorkeling. Will be heading back for our third visit this winter. Moorings make it easy to find the reefs. Though it might depend on the winds and currents. We've had great snorkels in the morning only to find it pretty murky a few hours later. Still there are many more sites to check out there than say Vieques. Recent snorkels in the USVI have not been as nice. Will be doing a charter this winter that will hit the BVI, USVI and Spanish VI. So it will be interesting to compare them back to back. Have not been back in the BVI in twenty years so I don't remember much about the sites in comparision to Culebra.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts