SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so basically I couldn't help myself. Go China, although this was built before my Chinese boycott.

It's through a yacht broker and they just dropped the price to $12000. Hopefully it wasn't just a sales tactic but the broker said that it's about to sell and if I want it I need to make an offer, then electronically sign the form he will send back to me and I give them a 10% deposit and have two weeks subject to inspection and sea trial.

I called him just now because I had already decided it's the best boat listed.

28 Taipan Sloop 1976 Yacht for Sale

The previous sale closed at $18000
A lot of details here
1976 Taipan - Interchem Engineers Ltd - Cheoy Lee - SOLD 32014 Taipan 28 sailboat for sale in California

This will leave me enough to put the windvane I want on it. I talked to the owner that had it through years, the one who sold it to the current elderly couple. I contacted him trough sailnet actually. There are some older posts about this boat. Not the one dismasted in Vietnam!

It's a good compromise for me. A decent size, a strong offshore proven design. The guy that has atom the Triton of atom voyages took one 6000 miles from Venezuela roundabout to Brazil.

The broker said they use a trust service called .....hmm...yacht something. Is this a safe way to do things? Tell me I'm not an idiot.

This way I'll have a boat ready to go. I can unload my gear and sail to Catalina!

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,625 Posts
Nice! Pending survey??

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
what yacht broker? make sure you arent getting scammed with a deposit!

nice boat and congrats...slap a norvane on it, get some spares and sail on down!

·
3,505 Posts
I had good service in Seattle from "Marine Title" in handling the escrow, transfer of funds and registration for my boat. Before you send money to anybody, due your due diligence.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah Denise... that is what I was thinking. Owner better love teak and have the hours needed to maintain. Either that or deep enough pockets to contract it. But she is a beautiful boat and should sail well...

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
SA/D of 13.74. That is a massive swing in the opposite direction from the types of boats you were asking about a couple of days ago. It looks like a stout little boat. Is the mast wooden or aluminum?

·
Catalina 400 MKII
822 Posts
Nice looking boat! Is the hull fiberglass or wood? A word of caution: Check around to make sure that your surveyor is top notch. Brokers can find surveyors that will sign off on pretty much anything. Your surveyor works for you, not them!! If this is a wood boat, make sure they really know how to do it, because there are a lot of details about fastenings etc. that can make a huge difference. Also be aware of the potential problems of teak decks (leaks, hidden rot, etc.). the boat seems to be in the Bay Area. You might call one of the wood boat places (is it Spalding's Yachts in Sausalito?) to give you a recommendation on a surveyor who knows about wooden boats. Please don't take this as warning you off of a wooden boat, but be aware that they present different challenges than what we have come to expect with fiberglass boats.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you going to have it surveyed? I'm a leaky-teaky owner and those decks look like they have a lot of leak potential(screws and missing plugs). I'm not trying to be a dream buster. She is pretty and a stout design. But it is no fun in foul weather when a deck cant keep the shrouds separated because the coring is mush. If I loved her, I'd buy her, but I'd make sure her decks are sound before I took her very far from home.

I have been following your boat search thread and it seems to me that you do your research well. Best of luck P-)

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. No it's not a wooden boat. Too much work for me. Teak decks though. I have spoken through email with the previous owner, the previous previous owner. He sold it in April for $18000. The new owners are living in NC and bought it sight unseen through a broker, came out once, hailed out and bottom painted, took one sail and decided they hated California. The most recent survey I have was done by them in March. I assured that the deck is sound.

The teak was pulled and rebedded in 2012 and all bright work done.

The spars are wood. That is a concern. The deck and the spars.

I haven't gotten the contract yet, the broker is wiring it up and I will have it tomorrow. From wha I have researched it's not completely uncommon to buy a boat this way. Denison yacht brokerage seems legit and huge. Plus aren't I protected to some degree since it is subject to sea trial and survey. Once I get there(LA) can't I back out if it turns out to be a run down mess, or the engine won't start? Otherwise what does pending sea trial and survey mean?

Yes, it is a departure from the last boats I have been looking at but in my heart I know an old race boat isn't for me. This boat checks every single box I have on my list.

Big, but not too big. Standing headroom
New cushions, new interior
Re powered with Yanmar, I haven't talked to anyone who hasn't said they are #1
New sails, new roller furling
New bottom paint, new deck paint
Good potential self steerage
New standing and running rigging
Unique. It's different that all the Catalina's and ericsons
With a j of 10.6, should be just big enough to stow my dinghy

The really two drawbacks are the wooden spars and teak deck, but teak deck can be good. I may not be able to rebuild an engine, but I love to spend all day cleaning and polishing. If anyone can do bright work it's me.

Do I really want to spend weeks driving through traffic looking at boats that could be terrible only to miss this one? This should put me on the water ASAP. I haven't been sailin in too long and I am ready to go. I know this isn't the way everybody would want to do it, but please,

LET ME KNOW if in my ignorance or impatience I am making a mistake, like just in general being a sucker or asking for disaster. I really can't stand buying a lemon. I need this to work. It doesn't have to be perfect, not at all but I can't get a lemon. I appreciate all the help I have always been given, hopefully I will have thousands of miles under my belt soon and can give back. I like sailing, I like moving. I can see myself sailing day after day just living on the water, getting to the next place(with a windvane). I'm scared enough to be careful and do serious research, but not to scared to not do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
NOB - it's great that you feel that the boat checks most of the boxes. There's no perfect boat, and (to use the old cliché) you'd only be letting great stand in the way of good if you let her go.

By all means hold on to your cash until the sea trials, but if you're happy, that's all that matters.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
ocean...wood spars can be a godsent or a nuissance...

is the deposit non refundable meaning you have only signed on the deposit? pending a SEA TRIAL THAT YOU LIKE and a SURVEY only then would I agree to what tye broker is doing...

you know I get excited for your boat choices and likes and try to help out but to an untrained eye you can miss one dry rot at the mast at the spreaders for example and thats game over for you till you find a good wood scarf or rigger that can repair it or an aluminum replacement which for all intents and purposes is going to be MUCH more expensive than a simple engine rebuild or even replacement. not to mention a complete an utter hassle to re rerig

especially if you are not experienced with this and need to get pro help.

im just saying

it seems weird your jumped on this boat from far away when there are many others even cheaper that dont have the issues this boat can have right off the bat

you are asking for advice, so dont get offended

buying a half wooden boat off site is even risky to those of us with experience in wooden boats

yes you are very safe with the hull as its a very reputable, thick glass hull so you wont sink but again

heed the advice of PENDING SURVEY FROM A 3RD PARTY SURVEYOR AND NOT whatever that broker offers you...

in fact you would do good by looking for a surveyor in that area familliar with wooden spars and decks etc...or old boats for that matter before going any further

apart from that the boat looks really beatiful and has a nice reputation and as you mention james balwdiwn THUMBS UP which does mean a lot...as he has a lot of experience on this and many other small boats.

peace

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think she's beautiful! And the fact that all the work has already been done on her... new rigging, engine, sails, etc etc...wow!
I would see what other "systems" still need to be upgraded, such as nav lights, plumbing, etc.
And assuming the hull and rudder are good, it's like a brand new boat with classic lines!

And the price... I don't know how fat you wallet is, but compared to a new boat of that size, it really is peanuts, so your investment is minimal. It's like a new boat at old boat prices.

Just hope you like brightwork!

Enjoy it.
Sometimes, impulse buys turn out to be the best!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Also, judging by the canvas covers, somebody really cares for her. And although, the interior is packed full of stuff, it looks neat and well tended to...not cluttered and strewn about. The photos don't look staged at all either.
And quantum sails too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully it wasn't just a sales tactic but the broker said that it's about to sell and if I want it I need to make an offer
It is a tactic, one of the oldest, doesn't necessarily mean it's not the truth.

Boat looks beautiful though. As long as it's the right boat for your needs and willingness to maintain (teak deck/wood spars). Hopefully the deposit is refundable and is only to secure you first right of refusal, if you don't want it/change your mind. Owning an older boat you WILL have to learn it all: hull, deck, rigging, engine, unless you've got the $$$ to pay for maintenance.

Best of Luck!

Also, read Tai Pan by James Clavell, great historical fiction set during the colonization of Hong Kong. If you're going to own the boat, just sayin...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.