SailNet Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,220 Posts
I can't see how that could be financially viable. With international shipping, customs and the time you may have to wait, the season will probably be pretty much over before you see your new cushions.
And if things aren't as you'd like them, what's your recourse? Ship it all back to India?

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
Cushion covers pack down quite small and would be easy to ship internationally. The foam can also pack down small if it is vacuum packed, but it would probably be cheaper and easier to get that domestically.

There is more risk and challenges in handling communication. I just had a new mainsail cover made by mail and it needs to go back for adjustments, doing this internationally would be even more challenging.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
capta-
International shipping, by air, can be as little as $2 per kilogram. (By the cube or consolidated, not as parcels.) A good seamstress in India can be $2 per day. Two bucks, five bucks, whatever it is now...Basically the only cost is the air shipping and I'm always amazed at things on eBay that come via "China Post" or "Hong Kong Post" for less than the cost of a USPS Parcel Post package domestically.
Cushions in the US? Ouch!

Cushions covers--just the fabric--should be very reasonable to ship. As long as the workmanship and fabric are reliable (ahem) and the job doesn't have to go back and forth.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Seems too that if you have a common production boat, you could have them make them, keep the patterns and resell for a small profit! But the real expense is the fabric, and I doubt good fabric will be much cheaper there. Now if you wanted madras plaid or something it could be really cheap! But I imagine Sunbrella will be more expensive there, but they may have some suitable substitute. You just won't likely have any recourse as to warranty if there are issues with the fabric.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a friend who is able to take the measurements over, ensure reasonable quality, and bring the covers back. I can get the foam locally in the Bay Area or online.

I doubt very much that Sunbrella is available over there, I could ship that over. Are there good tutorials online where I can figure out the specs, choose fabric, and minimize the overall cost?

Does one send traced out drawings on butcher paper? Or, a photograph with measurements on a sheet of paper? The shapes vary so much that I am leaning towards the traced out drawings.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mmmm, cleary no one of you have been in India.

India cloth spells cotton, and cotton. Do you know how Indian cotton behavies in a boat? I do. Humitidy is it's first name.

Second, sending over some measuremets to have it done. Good luck, that is not the way things work in India.
Oh yes, labour is more or less for free. But what do you get then?
How lovely to lean back and note that transport is the most expensive part, but what do you transport?

Thirdly, measurements. How do you intend to take those, and to make it understandable? The is probably not an angle that is othorgonal, and this in 3 dimensions.

Been there, done that. Never again.

/J

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
id be happy to make them down here(by that I mean take them and have them made at one of the gazillion upholsterers and tailor for many industries) for you(I dabbled in this with motorcyle parts) cheap labor and such with great results.

had motorcyle seat covers made in leather and faux leather, just had a mainsail cover made for my sailboat, etc...

the issue like mentioned is fitting

it will take 3 or 4 times to get it perfect...so unless you are trying to start a business(say cushion covers, sail covers, awnings and deck covers) the investment will not be worth it for a first and one time use. Youll be close but not perfect.

we are known down here like india and other textile and manufacturing countries for solid good work and cheap, especially in textiles industry.

if you are interested let me know

however for a one time shot...its not worth it

in the states I often used tailors and the like in malls to stitch certain things...I also used repholsters for cars and the like for sailing stuff.

anything marine labelled for stuff like cushion covers will be grossly overpriced

in the states or similar countries its the land of the proffesional DIY culture I call it where you have all the tools to do an as good or better job than actuall companies offering the same work unless you go real high end.

that was my experience at least...

I loved how you could make anything and do anything up there yourself...down here you have to outsource and find everything to do even the simplest things...its the opposite. but anything can be done! jajaja

cheers

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Christian, it would seem like fitting boat upholstery cushions would be much easier than motorcycle seats. Boat cushions tend to be simply slabs, flat top and bottom, even thickness, and the only question is what the four(usually) long sides will be.

In the garment industry in the US that problem was solved a long time ago, you make a brown kraft paper outline of the existing or desired cushion, called a "maker", and the fabric is then cut to match the maker, plus whatever selvedge is necessary for the seams. Ideally the maker is rolled, not folded (folding stretches paper) but that's simple, cheap, and light to mail overseas.

This is also how garment makers cheat. They crumple up the maker and then smooth it out again, which serves to uniformly shrink the paper, so they need slightly less fabric yardage, and over a thousand pieces, that adds up. (G) Called "shrinking the maker" and the reason why outsourced garments often fit too tightly.

With one set of boat cushions...I don't think a concern.

In the US most folks would think "Kraft" paper has something to do with the cheese company. It is just German for "strong", used in many industrial uses.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
Im in between here...

you can do it cheaply or real well...however just sending in measurements overseas even with templates you wont get what you want initially and it will be more expensive(in the end)

thats why I stated it does matter where one is located for one to give an informed opinion

budget is second on the list, materials 3rd etc...

no matter what, some fitting and testing is needed unless you have originals as templates

while I agree with both sides here its not so black and white

there is a lot of grey area here where you can either diy, use othe fabrics and resources and labor from other areas...etc

just my opinion

if you search here and elsewhere you will find awesome diy jobs that are better sometimes then original or from marine upholeterers...

in my personal opinion I do not think you will save any money when all said and done sending the templates and or measurments to india or here for example for this 1 time job

hence my previous post.

Id be glad to help though

cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.