SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without being too specific, as I know the person I am buying this for is an avid poster on these boards, I was looking for a store/shop somewhere that does high-quality custom sailboat models. The person I am buying for has a Beneteau 393 and I cant think of anything else to buy him for his boat.

It seems to me that a great model of his boat (boat name, down to specific details) would be a great gift. I searched online, and could not find anything good.

If I remember correctly, sometime in the fall, in one of the sailing magazines, they recommended a place that could custom-build models for people.

Does anyone know of this place I'm thinking of, or know any others?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
What do you mean by model? Are you talking half-hull models that are wall-mounted, or a full model, that is free-standing, or did you want one in a bottle?

·
10,851 Posts
Faster...Quicstep...thank you very very very much...been looking for someone to do one of my boat...in Portugal 1000 Euros for one...

I'll contact them, for sure...

·
Hitchin' a ride
3,191 Posts
While we are on the subject. How about just regular old wooden sailboat models, you know, the old classic racers and such. My brother likes toys.:) and its his birthday.

·
19,489 Posts
bestfriend said:
While we are on the subject. How about just regular old wooden sailboat models, you know, the old classic racers and such. My brother likes toys.:) and its his birthday.
Not sure where you are, BF, but here in Vancouver the Rona chain is carrying some medium quality full hull and rig models of old J boats etc for reasonable prices (similar chain to Lowes in the US) - around $200CDN. They look alright, we have one in our window, about 3 ft long, 4 ft tall. Made in China, no doubt.

Reactions: Giulietta

·
10,851 Posts
Faster,

Once in Portsmouth NH, I bought 2 half hulls like the ones you're mentioning.

They were not that well finished, but at home I finished the really well and now..look like a million bucks..

However, becarefull, I bought a half hull of the Old "star and Stripes" and the brass palque said it was the Bluenose, and the other one, a J class hull, and the palque said USS EAGLE!!!

Just a remark... but again...if you buy them and re-finish them these cheaper "Chinese" half hull are fantastic.

·
Señor Member
4,858 Posts
When purchasing my current boat in fall of 2004, I researched various custom model builders to commission the construction of a scale model of True Blue. I narrowed the list down to a very talented modelmaker, based upon the extensive portfolio and quality of his work.

http://www.nauticart.com/indexb.htmhttp://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/30215-custom-sailboat-models.html

I emailed him a bunch of hull drawings and photos to obtain an estimate for a 1"=1'-0" model and once receiving it, decided $2,400.00 could be better spent on other essentials.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts