SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unable to find my perfect boat in the 26-30’ range, I’m wondering if there are custom or semi-custom fiberglass boat builders out there that build “smaller” boats. I’m sure the cost will be mind blowing, but I can dream.

Anyone aware of custom builders?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unable to find my perfect boat in the 26-30’ range, I’m wondering if there are custom or semi-custom fiberglass boat builders out there that build “smaller” boats. I’m sure the cost will be mind blowing, but I can dream.

Anyone aware of custom builders?
I can't wait until we can just 3D print any hull we can dream of and try it out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Various builders may be interested - but it may depend upon the kind of boat you seek. There are 30' boats that are daysailers, and 30' boats that could take you to Tahiti via the Northwest Passage. One builder may like making full-keel designs, another centerboarders. They're sufficiently specialized that posters would need to know more about the boat you're looking to build before making suggestions.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Various builders may be interested - but it may depend upon the kind of boat you seek. There are 30' boats that are daysailers, and 30' boats that could take you to Tahiti via the Northwest Passage. One builder may like making full-keel designs, another centerboarders. They're sufficiently specialized that posters would need to know more about the boat you're looking to build before making suggestions.
Fair point. Daysailer; fin keel or center board, long cockpit; minimal cabin; wheel aft of boom (so I can stand while steering)

·
bell ringer
4,992 Posts
I would think any good builder doesn't have time to mess around with a 30’ boat

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I can't wait until we can just 3D print any hull we can dream of and try it out.

Getting there. This one was 17ft, I think:

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Getting there. This one was 17ft, I think:

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Nice! Too bad it's a stinky noisy powerboat..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Fair point. Daysailer; fin keel or center board, long cockpit; minimal cabin; wheel aft of boom (so I can stand while steering)
Try Morris 29 and Alerion Express 28. Custom quality. Just give up the wheel, it is not what you want in a boat like this. The builders know better about this.

They are both sweet.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i was kind of thinking (hoping) there were a few that worked with a few set types of hulls, but customized the rest.
In the world of boat building, every builder will do some customization for you when building a boat; some more than others. Even the Catalina's and Beneteau's will make some changes from the stock for you, albeit minor ones. Other, mostly smaller, builders will be open to making bigger changes. My understanding is that Morris at least used to be very flexible with features and the interior layouts of their boats. I've never heard of anyone who does expressly what you are looking for, but if you like a particular boat, there's no harm in asking the manufacturer if they are open to customizing one of their designs for you.

One other option: find an existing hull shape you like, buy one in crappy shape, gut it, and make it what you want. Check out Tim Lackey's logs where he did this exact thing twice, once with an old Triton:

and once with a Shields Class One Design:

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
499 Posts
Bob Perry is still doing custom designs. His last project was a run of three for the same owner, "Carbon Cutters" he called them. Built at the Betts Boatyard in Washington State...

If you don't intend to actually follow through, probably not best to bother him, as he has been under the weather for almost two weeks...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts