SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The coupler came off, the shaft came out, everything is cleaned up and ready to put back together with a new PSS shaft seal. I cleaned up the cutlas bearing and I have to say what I found was not what I expected. I expected a brass bearing. This is no poop, my cutlas bearing is soft! I can press on it with a screwdriver and watch it flex. Anyone have an idea what I have here?

My shaft is 1" (.996 at the area that rides in the bearing). The bearing reads 1.020 at it worst spot. I think I can live with .020 slop, but the material has really got me perplexed. I had virtually no play when checking the shaft before removal. HELP.

Dave

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, this is the second gold star I think I've given you! You didn't even give someone a chance to say they didn't know. :) Thanks man! Leave it to a fellow Allmand 31 owner! :D

I'll post some pictures of the refit from the past 3 weeks. I put the shaft back in tomorrow and the bottom gets its paint tomorrow or Thursday, back in the water Friday, sea trials this weekend. :)

Dave

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dave, just to sheer you up a bit: Do you have any play in the cutless bearing now? It is not always easy to feel that if the shaft is rigid in the other parts. One test is to try to insert a paper between the cutless bearing and the shaft, if that can be done then so is the bearing.

As you have seen these bearings are not expensive, but one has to remove the shaft (it can be done with the shaft on, bet then one have to be an artist). Understand you are just longing to do that, but better test now than have a worn out bearing.

/J

·
Registered
244 Posts
When I replaced my cutlass bearing I was surprised when the new one was brass shell with some type of grooved rubber bearing surface. Lost a lot of vibration with new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts