SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The coupler came off, the shaft came out, everything is cleaned up and ready to put back together with a new PSS shaft seal. I cleaned up the cutlas bearing and I have to say what I found was not what I expected. I expected a brass bearing. This is no poop, my cutlas bearing is soft! I can press on it with a screwdriver and watch it flex. Anyone have an idea what I have here?

My shaft is 1" (.996 at the area that rides in the bearing). The bearing reads 1.020 at it worst spot. I think I can live with .020 slop, but the material has really got me perplexed. I had virtually no play when checking the shaft before removal. HELP.

Dave

· Registered
712 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim, this is the second gold star I think I've given you! You didn't even give someone a chance to say they didn't know. :) Thanks man! Leave it to a fellow Allmand 31 owner! :D

I'll post some pictures of the refit from the past 3 weeks. I put the shaft back in tomorrow and the bottom gets its paint tomorrow or Thursday, back in the water Friday, sea trials this weekend. :)

Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.