SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of moving up - my current boat is 28 feet with bowsprit and cutter rigged - I am looking at a 37' with a cutter rig - however the 2 headsails are only about 1 foot apart - they are both on a furler and both seem to made out of same cloth ( so the forward one is not a lightweight genoa) I know with my boat - it has about 3 feet between sails and its not easy to tack with winds under 10 knots - this set up would be a bear - you would need to roll it up and then back out to tack - the boat is set up with 2 big whisker poles to pole the genoas out on either side - so maybe the forward sail its more for off the wind - just never seen anything quite like it - its custom a one off boat made by TPI - in late 80"s

Boat is being sold by marina so hard to ask past owner ( marina owns boat)

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,380 Posts
That sounds like a Saga 36. If so the ide was that you use one sail at a time. The genoa on the headstay does need to be furled in order to tack.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Sounds like you could try wing-on-wing if you wanted. Balance might be off with one sail larger than the other, and if the genoa backfilled and wrapped itself around the other jib it might get interesting.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts

·
Registered
22,716 Posts
If both headsail stays run to nearly the top of the mast, it sounds more like a solent. With the inner forestay close to a mast head jib anyway, I've seen these set up to have a good upwind sail on the inner forestay, which can be easily tacked and a larger sail downwind on the outer, which can only be gybed, if furled first.

These can be sailed wing n wing, but you'd most likely want to pole out one or both.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
JeffH,
Just realized there were TWO SAGA boat builders, the older one in the UK built Pape designs, the newer one in Canada had various designers but built a Saga 409 (Tony Castro) which was a solent rig. They also had a Saga 35 (Perry) which was a straight up sloop. Also a Saga 43 and Saga 48 (both solent -Perry).

Alan Pape designs, including the Saga, are here.

·
Read Only
144 Posts
Our cutter is close also, we basically alway use the staysail as the yankee will not tack as well with bare wire behind it. Not issue with both. Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts