SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
bobbingabout
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im going to cut down a rig from a 37 footer to fit my 29 foot sloop any suggestions before i start. Im cutting the mast the boom the mainsail and the roller reefing genoa

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,565 Posts
Yes, My only suggestion is "Don't do it".

The components from rig from a 37 footer would be too heavy for a 29 footer and so will be so heavy as present a high risk of making the 29 footer dangerously unstable.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I am not quite as down on the idea as Jeff, but agree with him basically. The mast is going to be massively overspec and weight, so you will be looking at reducing righting moment substantially. How much, and if it is a dangerous amount, depends on the relative size of the extrusion for the two boats.

There is also the concern that the new mast may not fit. It could be so much larger that it won't fit they the partners, and if it does that it won't fit the keel step. If it's going on a deck step boat it is almost guaranteed not to fit.

·
19,488 Posts
Second (Third?) that this is a bad idea.

Sell the rig to someone who needs that spec and go shopping for something more appropriate.

EDIT: also, a username in plain email form is another bad idea.. PM me with a second choice and we'll change it for you.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Advice? Yes, please use a GoPro and put the video on YouTube so we can watch it. At least one camera up close and the second further back to catch the bigger picture.

I wanna get some popcorn and watch, this is gonna be FUN!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Sounds bad because so MANY things will be in the wrong place BUT then again the rig on the Cal 29 is much heaver than the 35' i race on ?

·
bobbingabout
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rig im cutting down is from a ketch it is not a a heavy rig the boat im putting it on a 29 ft steel sloop the rigging is 8mm which i dont consider heavy for a 29 footer. im going to take the step off the ketch so no worries about that fitting. im just going to move all the fittings up the mast so i wont have to touch the masthead.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The spreaders on the larger mast could cause a problem. Can you use your old spreaders?

I once cut down an aluminum mast to replace the wooden mast on a Cheoy Lee 31. The spreader mounts were welded on, so I had to cut the mast at the top and bottom to get the spreaders in the correct place. The spreader width happened to be correct for the Cheoy Lee, so I was able to keep them the same.

If you re-use the rigging wires; you may be able to cut the bottom of each wire and use a mechanical fitting.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
If you re-use the rigging wires; you may be able to cut the bottom of each wire and use a mechanical fitting.
While the whole thing seems to be a hack, if reusing the rigging at least cut it off at both ends and use quality mechanical fittings. There seems to be a lot of metal boat threads lately not sure why.

By the way it would be a good idea to mention things like it being a steel boat as that can change things a lot. There are not a lot of steel boat owners on this forum. While all are certainly welcome, technical questions may be better asked on a metal boat forum. Steel boat builders often just error on the side of over building rather than doing actual calculations to see how it will effect the safety and performance of the finished products. Putting excessive weight aloft is a really bad idea , especially if it happens to push you over the limit. Will this do that? I don't know but would recommend getting it looked at by a trained navel architect to find out if it is safe. Look for someone qualified to do actual calculations rather than someone who thinks it will work. So here where we tend to think in things like righting moment you may not like the answers you get.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts