SailNet Community banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
In courts there’s a difference between the law and justice. With covid there’s a difference between rules imposed by government and commonsense/science.
Traveling port to port you can pickup the virus. Be asymptomatic and carry it to your next few ports. That’s why my friend traveling from Norfolk to Wickford made no port calls but rather anchored out. He understood the NY Boston corridor remains with a significant prevalenceof infection. BTW he’s a physician. He understood his trip was for recreation not in the course duty so did not make use on his degree. He understood his prior quarantine was of no relevance.
I see no problem going To the Cape and islands. In fact have done so already several times. Living in SE MA and through my wife have multiple friends in the area. Still, those visits have been sitting on lawns well over 6’ apart in sunlight and usually in a breeze or fishing. Transmission risk in those settings is negligible. Sailing over and picking up a mooring or anchoring should similarly present negligible risk. It’s your behavior on land that does. Our governor has propagated reasonable rules for that behavior. Hope everyone follows them regardless of what initials are after their name.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
To be more explicit. When you are traveling as a physician or nurse to carry out your duties the risk/benefit to the society justifies the lifting of quarantine restrictions. When you are not you are an ordinary citizen. Are you providing any nursing services in your travels or only at the end of your voyage?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
RI extended their out of state visitor quarantine requirements to May 31. Their stated goal is to be in phase 2, by June 1, which should begin to relax travel restrictions. Doubt they’ll be full eliminated that quickly, maybe two weeks later, if all goes well.

Here’s the specific language.

Domestic Travel Restrictions Remain Largely in Place

5. Any person coming to Rhode Island from another state for a non-work-related purpose must immediately self-quarantine for 14 days. This quarantine restriction shall not apply to public health, public safety or healthcare workers. It shall also not apply to anyone traveling for medical treatment, to attend funeral or memorial services, to obtain necessities such as groceries, gas or medication, to dropping off or picking up children from day care or to anyone who must work on their boats.
I still love the fact that they exempted anyone who must work on their boat. Still stupid that the snow birds can’t come back. Many were lifelong RI residents and traveled for the winter to places far less impacted, per capita, than RI. The plan (Jun 1) is to first lift restrictions on visitors, who arrive from regions who have lifted stay at home orders. That has to be a nod to places like NY, who have appropriately divided that state and lifted orders upstate, where there was very limited impact, from NYC.

Anyway, I don’t think I read health care workerS, in RI’s exemptions, to mean licensed, rather working. Some health care workers are simply orderlies. I think one has to arrive from out of state to go to their job to avoid the quarantine. Nevertheless, I expect this will all change long before anyone making their way up the coast can get here.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
I am assuming with part two that cruisers who decide to come ashore that the 14 days quarantine goes into place no matter how they have felt they have previously quarantined. Course I would think this doesn’t apply to those passing through stay on their boats.

Do you know if the harbormasters will try and enforce this? I have some friends traveling up that way in the next three weeks.
Since we are still in FL and a holding pattern as far as going to MV for the summer I don't have first hand info on what or how any rules are being enforced. According to family on the island and reports in the local papers there does not seem to be any enforcement of a quarantine for arrivals by ferry and they have not heard of any monitoring of arrivals by boat.

My personal plan would be to act carefully and responsibly but use common sense. We stay isolated at home, distance or mask when around other people (even friends and neighbors) and completely avoid large groups like restaurants, bars, etc. I would feel like anyone following that kind of regimen who also masks when they arrive on the island would be complying with the spirit if not the letter of the current rules.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
As registered nurses, we are exempt from the 14 day quarantine requirement, we have copies of our license onboard. We are exempt in other states as well, Rhode Island being another.

https://www.mass.gov/news/baker-polito-administration-announces-travel-guidelines-and-new-health-care-resources-to

http://www.townofberlin.com/home/news/travelers-massachusetts-are-instructed-self-quarantine-14-days
Since you are not traveling in a professional capacity, using a professional exemption from following the rules that apply to the general population is questionable.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
As to enforcement, the RI State Police had been randomly parked outside marinas, but I think they cut that out a couple of weeks back. I’ve seen no enforcement activity since. Can’t say what they’d do, if someone saw an out of state hailport pulling in the harbor. One thing the travel restrictions did, was create additional fear in many locals.

I’m pretty sure the Block Island Harbormaster is contacting all arriving vessels. The sign at the harbor entrance requires arrivals to contact them. Again, I expect all this to change notably, over the next few weeks. I hope anyway.

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
As to enforcement, the RI State Police had been randomly parked outside marinas, but I think they cut that out a couple of weeks back. I’ve seen no enforcement activity since. Can’t say what they’d do, if someone saw an out of state hailport pulling in the harbor. One thing the travel restrictions did, was create additional fear in many locals.

I’m pretty sure the Block Island Harbormaster is contacting all arriving vessels. The sign at the harbor entrance requires arrivals to contact them. Again, I expect all this to change notably, over the next few weeks. I hope anyway.
Well my hailing port is Bristol RI but my driver's license is FL and my New England home is now MA. Not sure how the local harbor master would deal with me, IF I happened to pull into a RI harbor.

Have a sailing buddy who lives in CT but is second generation owner of a home on Block Island.

That's the problem with sailors, they don't all fit in a nice, neat little box. :devil

·
Aspiring Boat Bum
292 Posts
Update on the channel into Lake Tashmoo. My son in law went out a couple of days ago at an extra low tide to get the latest. Shallowest spots were 5-5 1/2'.

One just outside the jetties so deepest channel departing you bear right.

The other is approaching the first red buoy on the harbor side of the inlet. Center channel seemed to be the deepest.

·
11,802 Posts
As registered nurses, we are exempt from the 14 day quarantine requirement, we have copies of our license onboard. We are exempt in other states as well, Rhode Island being another.

https://www.mass.gov/news/baker-polito-administration-announces-travel-guidelines-and-new-health-care-resources-to

http://www.townofberlin.com/home/news/travelers-massachusetts-are-instructed-self-quarantine-14-days
Again trolling us.

Sorry this doesn’t fly. You aren’t on medical business where your being a nurse supersedes the law of the land. What hospital are you working at in Cuttyhunk or Martha’s Vineyard. Nurses traveling on 62 ft Oysters really does make sense.

Should you decide to come into port and get off the boat, I’m sure the authorities who will find you are there, won’t find your rationalization even reasonable since your intended purpose is sightseeing, reprovision etc as you have stated here in print.

Why would You would potentially put us all in danger , a sailing community which you so care for or even other humans which professionally you care about supposedly. I have to think you are continually trolling for a reaction.

Trolling is not allowed on this site. I am not posting this as slagging, but you are continually to troll us all .

If you are going to break the law, please stop posting about it throwing into our faces. To use your arguments about newbies, I would hate for a newbie to think we all do what we want when we want to and not follow laws just because we disagree with them. Most of us in this SN community follow the law.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Self justification knows no bounds.

Combined with sociopathic lack of concern for others' welfare

a dangerous combination.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
....That's the problem with sailors, they don't all fit in a nice, neat little box. :devil
That’s for sure. There simply aren’t enough of us to make a statistical difference either. It cracked me up to read the local press on St. Thomas who bemoaned having a few hundred boats in the harbor. An island, with 50,000 residents!

Most measures, including wearing our masks are only designed to reduce spread, not eliminate it. I don’t think there are any enforcement fines for not wearing one in R.I. In fact, there are exceptions to being asked at all: children, claustrophobia, breathing disorders, etc. A local mayor suggested people publicly shame those not wearing, but the Governor rightly pointed out you can’t know exceptions. There’s a reason we don’t allow vigilantes.

We can’t achieve 100% compliance, just like 100% compliance won’t prevent 100% of transmission. Just knocking it down significantly. I simply stay well separated from those not wearing one. No drama.

·
11,802 Posts
I think there are legal remedies for those who are asked to quarantine for 14 days and outright refuse. I know in Maryland they detained someone who was from NY when the virus was at peak there. He was stopped in Maryland and asked to quarantine , which was the governors order, he refused on some constitutional grounds and said he would not comply and was taken away in cuffs. It was all over the news stations.

A law without teeth or enforcement is useless.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Typical gov move...opportunity lost
Should have been promoted in advance
Could have put 20k people in landover with 2 seat and 1 row social distancing at $40 a ticket.
Handcuffs are silly. A roofing company and broiler farm wouldve donated the tar and feathers.
Not counting lost tv advert revenue...and memorial face masks
The tailgating opps too...jeez, what a loss

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Throughout this event think we all should do what makes sense in terms of known science and current situation. Unfortunately we cannot expect our government to be always in accordance to that. If one follows known science and current situation think it highly likely you won’t ever violate rules nor law.
It’s sad that so many in our country are egocentric and not concerned about others. It’s sad on both right and left this event has been politicize. Leading to unnecessary lock down quarantine in some isolated localities and absence of minimal public health measures in others. It’s tragic the lack of leadership that would make us able to balance covid against economic impact to achieve a reasonable balance. Absence of such balance will lead to otherwise preventable death, illness and hardship.
I don’t think we are being trolled. It’s worse than that. He just doesn’t care to be inconvenienced. See the same behavior in the local supermarket, drug store, local park and gas station. Think it particularly important be mindful of transmission risk as we reopen has a second wave will be exponentially worse economically as well as the human toll.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On Friday May 22nd the Nantucket Harbormaster allowed boats on moorings. The boat basin is open and a few boats came in over the weekend. As of an hour ago one boat is on anchor...people are wearing masks/buffs etc., and saying hello which is good!

Not sure about how the quarantine is or could be enforced? Regardless, people should come to the island and wear their mask when six feet cannot be maintained, wash your hands or carry hand sanitizer, do take out food, the fried clams at Sayles, tuna poke, Indonesian chicken drumsticks at Nautilus or other restaurants, don't depend on groceries or provisioning on the island (s) "because its like winter and the shelves are not filled cause the harbor is frozen and boats can't get in", stay out of public restrooms and go for walks, go fishing and enjoy the island, the island(s) is here for all of us, just respect it!

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
......Think it particularly important be mindful of transmission risk as we reopen has a second wave will be exponentially worse economically as well as the human toll.
I guess we’re going to find out, because the virus will continue until a vaccine is found. I’m a bit more optimistic.

As far as virus transmission goes, I think enough got an education, during this round, that I would think it would be lower next go around. We should be quicker to the masks and distancing next time. Not everyone will do it, but literally no one did it early last time, not even congregate care facilities.

I think a spike would need to be exponentially worse for any government to so drastically shut down again. They should have been smarter the first time, but next go around they should be more focused on the vulnerable, indoor density, distancing protocol, etc. The predictable human toll, from the shutdown itself, is only beginning to reveal itself.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts