SailNet Community banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
"I am of the tribe that thinks X"

becomes more important than being sensible.
George Washington was opposed to political parties, because he predicted ones loyalty would be to the party and not the country. Clairvoyant.

They are no more than legalized racketeering, holding their lieutenants hostage to national campaign funding. Then one mob does anything it can to take down the other mob.

·
11,742 Posts
George Washington was opposed to political parties, because he predicted ones loyalty would be to the party and not the country. Clairvoyant.

They are no more than legalized racketeering, holding their lieutenants hostage to national campaign funding. Then one mob does anything it can to take down the other mob.
Off topic

But without parties anarchy would reign. Washington predicted that as a positive rather than having 13 different states.with no agreements.

I spent a year in college pouring over Washington’s , Hamilton’s, Addams Jefferson’s writings and he was an incredible man

This quote is out of context without understanding the text it was written in and for, perfect example of picking words or statements out of a larger treatise . This is what our media, political parties and leaders do. Sign of the times

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I guess we’re going to find out, because the virus will continue until a vaccine is found. I’m a bit more optimistic.

As far as virus transmission goes, I think enough got an education, during this round, that I would think it would be lower next go around. We should be quicker to the masks and distancing next time. Not everyone will do it, but literally no one did it early last time, not even congregate care facilities.

I think a spike would need to be exponentially worse for any government to so drastically shut down again. They should have been smarter the first time, but next go around they should be more focused on the vulnerable, indoor density, distancing protocol, etc. The predictable human toll, from the shutdown itself, is only beginning to reveal itself.
If the 1918 Flu pandemic is an indicator, we just had the trial run;

The above chart is from an interesting article written in 2018 regarding whether the world is ready for another pandemic.

In the 100 years since the Spanish flu outbreak, there have been four influenza pandemics: 1957-1958, 1968-1969, 1977-1978, and 2009-2010 [H1N1]. None were as lethal as the 1918 outbreak.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
My take is a good segment of the population has gone through their financial reserves. A good segment is totally fed up with public health rules. Many people see no impact on their nuclear family nor close friends to date. The cognitive dissidence produced by opposite messaging from government v medical authorities plus the economic imperative of the need to eat and shelter family will produce a fatalism leading to an absence of people following public health mandates with a second wave.
Even if a vaccine came out tomorrow the logistics means 1/2 year to reach number (?70%) that required. By then unless there’s an about face in the senate further economic collapse. Share the concerns of the never trump republicans that may allow fascism to emerge here comparable to post WW1 Germany.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife and I were considering a cruise to Newport bringing bikes so we could do a ride while traffic was reduced. Does anyone know if traffic is actually less than usual?

·
Captain Obvious
2,324 Posts

I read an article that stated that a significant effort is being made constantly to push on Americans weak points and creative divisiveness. Something like 50% of Covid tweets are by bots, specifically for this purpose. The article didn't say who was behind the effort, but it could be anyone from the Russians to corporate lobbyists, to anarchists or terrorists, or political parties or commentators.

THAT should be illegal and if twitter can't make it work they can pay huge fines until they find a way. I shouldn't have to cut through 800 hours of anti American programming just to talk to my neighbors.

Democratic institutions are worth fighting for. We can't support them if there are "bots" telling everyone we have bad intentions.

·
Registered
21,589 Posts
The system is clearly being gamed. Washington was right. Loyalties have grown stronger to the party, which itself aligns with interests, other than the country, to obtain/retain its power.

https://www.history.com/news/founding-fathers-political-parties-opinion

This can be fixed, but we’ve drifted too far off topic. I’ll just say, follow the money and you’ll find the root of it.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Personally even before the COVID19 came to town my rule is to avoid crowds where one can. IMO it is the safest policy virus or no virus. That includes sports, concerts etc... I don't enjoy them and there is always the risk of a shooting or terrorist attack. Not likely but, still a risk compared to sitting in my boats cockpit enjoying the view. Likewise I have not been inside a movie theater in a decade. Besides paying good money and trapped watching ten minutes of commercials I always thought it might be a good place to pick up a Tuberculosis virus depending on who is in the audience. Not worth the risk when I could watch the same film at home safely. COVID19 has raised the risk even more. I use to take the New York City Subway everyday when working there. I haven't been down there in years and certainly you won't find me there these days.

About to launch for the season as soon as I finish up my new sail cover project I am thinking how this season will be different from the past. I've been to Marthas Vineyard, Newport, Nantucket and don't feel the need to take the time to revisit them and experience the tourist crowds again. Likewise the crowds that sail into Block Island sometimes make it hit and miss on finding a mooring for the stay.
Though Cuttyhunk is kind of a special place that I might be tempted to revisit which does not have the crowds of some of the other harbors.

My current plans are pretty much short enjoyable sails to the nearby harbor of Port Jefferson. It has it's crowds but, I spend most of my time on the boat. I enjoy the activity of a real working harbor. Watching and listening to the activity of the Tugs and other craft. I can also go to other parts of the harbor and anchor if I want to be away from the activity. There is one thing that I will probably change this year in my normal plans. Instead of going to shore side restaurants for an occasional lunch or dinner I'll order via Grub Hub or Uber Eats and have it delivered to the dock as my boat's cockpit always has a better view and there is never a crowd. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
A very good reason to stay far away from those crowded tourist cities! I sail in Narragansett Bay and keep my boat at the Edgewood Yacht Club. We are being very careful so that we can continue to enjoy our club all summer doing a low-risk activity. I love going to Newport and doing the tourist thing of bars, food, and shopping. Not this year! Keeping myself, my family and my fellow yachties safe by staying away. It is going to smash the restaurant and shop owners. Unnnggh so painful.

Not what Maryland seaside resorts are experiencing nor Cape May. Pent up energy has people starting to open up the towns.

I think it may have something to do with the tourist cities for the wealthy vs most of the other ones.

Scenes from Ocean City, Maryland boardwalk last weekend showed it very crowded. Scenes from Myrtle Beach, SC and California Beaches surely are not showing desolation.

I would expect to see some substantial drop off but I don’t think the resort areas will be completely dead. It will take time for people to work out the social distancing thing when they are public as many have been isolated sequestered in their homes.

·
11,742 Posts
I’m out for 17 days on the Chessie
Traveling to quiet areas
Last night Solomons Island anchorage
Many PB out definitely only about 25% of normal sailboats out
Headed to Potomac today

·
Captain Obvious
2,324 Posts
I’m out for 17 days on the Chessie
Traveling to quiet areas
Last night Solomons Island anchorage
Many PB out definitely only about 25% of normal sailboats out
Headed to Potomac today
Good for you Dave. The power boats should thin out starting tomorrow. I hope.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Good for you Dave. The power boats should thin out starting tomorrow. I hope.
It's a weird year. I'm retired and sometimes the holidays sneak up on me. With so many people out of work they may be experiencing the same. Days melt into one another and people are free to go boating anyday these days not just on the weekends. The limiting factor for some especially power boaters is gas costs money and with no job that reality might limit the amount of time they get out on the water.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
M flip side is gas is well under $2.00 here. Expect to see a lot of the small center consoles and cuddycabins that fit on trailers see more use . Not working. Cheap gas. Maybe bring home fish for dinner. Have some fun and not think about being broke for a few hours. Win-Win especially if you have a trolling valve or kicker. Then costs are minimal.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts