SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cuttysark Clark
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introducing myself. I bought a 1983 Catalina 30 in May of 2008. She is in fair to good condition with most systems working well. We sail out of Rock Hall, MD on week ends. I need advice on tuning up my stays and shrouds and my battery charger doesn't charge the batteries when I plug in shore power so I need ideas about how to determine if I need a new charger or, is it a wiring problem? We have 5 twenty something kids that love to sail and we usually have a few on board when we head out. I'm sure that having a boat this old will challenge my maintenance know how so I'll need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Joe;

I'm brand new too having just bought a PRIVILEGE 39. Some of my first projects have been electrical in nature, including the battery charger and the solar panels.

I have been opening the breaker on shore power when I leave and letting the solar panels charge the batteries which are at about 12.6 volts when I come back).

If you have a volt meter you should be able to determine quickly if the battery charger is working. What charger do you have?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Welcome to SN dudes! You'll like it.

There are lots of guys here who can give great advice on all things battery-related. You ought to do a search of the Gear and Maintenance forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts