SailNet Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of sailing over to Vancouver. False creek area or some where with access to transit. I hear you can anchor in False creek. is there a secure place to tie a tender.
I see boats anchored near Jericoe. Again where do you tie a tender?
I used to sail out of Granville Island but they did not used to have daily mooring. just a short stay by the market.
I would prefer a dock at a reasonable rate.
Victoria and Nanaimo appear to be a lot more hospitable.

·
19,485 Posts
The False Creek Harbour Authority usually has space for transients. Vancouver Boat Moorage False Creek Harbour Authority British Columbia, Canada

The False Creek Yacht Club may offer reciprocals if you're a member elsewhere. Anchoring in the creek is allowed with a 2 week permit (free) Dinghy security is a bit questionable..

The Granville Is market floats are only 3 hour spots, no overnighting.

You're right, Vancouver could take some lessons from other places in 'boater friendliness'...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The False Creek Harbour Authority usually has space for transients. Vancouver Boat Moorage False Creek Harbour Authority British Columbia, Canada

The False Creek Yacht Club may offer reciprocals if you're a member elsewhere. Anchoring in the creek is allowed with a 2 week permit (free) Dinghy security is a bit questionable..

You're right, Vancouver could take some lessons from other places in 'boater friendliness'...
Thanks I looked them up and gave them a call

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts

Take some lessons from who exactly in boater friendliness? After arriving in false creek, which has every amenity a boater needs, and checking in at the welcome center and given free maps. They:

Have free unlimited dinghy docks.
Two weeks/three weeks free anchorage.
Free temporary dockage at Granville market.
A freakin year pass to the rec center for unlimited free showers.
Parks, grocery stores, shopping centers, everything within walking distance.

If North America has a more boater friendly city, I don't know about it. Vancouvers top on my list of places to go back to.

·
19,485 Posts
Take some lessons from who exactly in boater friendliness? After arriving in false creek, which has every amenity a boater needs, and checking in at the welcome center and given free maps. They:

Have free unlimited dinghy docks.
Two weeks/three weeks free anchorage.
Free temporary dockage at Granville market.
A freakin year pass to the rec center for unlimited free showers.
Parks, grocery stores, shopping centers, everything within walking distance.

If North America has a more boater friendly city, I don't know about it. Vancouvers top on my list of places to go back to.
Glad you had a good experience.. but.. Nanaimo/Sydney/Comox/Powell River, just to name a few, have more obviously available transient moorage, closer proximity to shopping, showers and other facilities, they seem, in our view, to cater more directly to the visiting boater.

Things ARE better now since they cleaned out most of the derelicts from the Creek, but it could still be better (eg convert the old CG station into a visitor's dock if they really aren't going to reopen it)

The FCHA is a great marina, well run and reasonable for transients and full timers alike - it's our home and we appreciate it. Some of the others are near prohibitive cost wise, and few offer transient other than reciprocals.

False Creek is also better in summer when they have the 'welcome' crew ready with permits and directions.

·
first sailed january 2008
1,409 Posts
But you're comparing it to smaller places. I'm talking big cities. Vancouver and Powell River are completely different. I would put van in the same category as:
San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Baltimore, Houston, Boston.

Especially compare it to nearby cities, Seattle portland and I think Victoria is big. I'm not sure. Victoria has no anchoring and super expensive moorage
Seattle has bell harbor, that's nice, but kinda small, the rest are off the beaten path
Portland is all centered around the Columbia River, like seven miles from downtown.

You're just used to it because you live there, so probably you take for granted the awesomeness that is false creek. I was blown the f away that I was sailing in this perfect weird canal thing, surrounded by skyscrapers and they gave me a rec center as for free? Who does that? And the anchoring is awesome. Like 12 feet, great holding, protection from the wind from all the buildings. How many cities in not just North America, but the world can you anchor in between the skyscrapers in arguably the best part of town?

I wasn't there before they cleared out false creek. But there can't be any closer access to shopping. There's shopping all within five minutes of the water in Vancouver. There is a great grocery store right by where I anchored. Um, what was it called. It's kind of like whole foods.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went to Vancouver. Arrived about 2000. Tried to call the wellcome center.
The Phone No no longer in service. Maybe I should by this years waggoner.
False Creek was packed Ram Jam full.

Went back over and anchored of Jericoe.

Of course I arrived the night before the fireworks.
Went to the French and Jappanese Fireworks.
Quite the event. On the water.

deflated and took tender with us

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have always been treated very well at False Creek. Never had a problem. Touch wood. But when you see local sailors securing their dinghies with heavy cables and padlocks... Makes you think there must be a lot of theft and you wonder if your thin nylon painter is strong enough.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I came back again,

Had a really nice single handed afternoon, evening, and night trip from the SGI through Active Pass and across the straights up past Sand Heads to Jericho. Beautiful sunset and a Blue Moon.
Anchored of Jericho, Didn't venture into false creek yet.

went ashore yesterday and was questioned about my dingy. Which I was packing up the beach.
I was informed, they were checking a boater anchored of Jericho had just had his stolen.

The fireworks were really nice.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Granville Island Market has a public dock for short term docking. Usually room for a dingy and off season I spent much time there unmolested at 55' and then anchor up past the Granville bridge. Ask for permit. It's free and comes with pass to rec center. Lots of anchored vessels end up on the breakwater at Kits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.