SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Daily Photo - Not Special, just often

24602 Views 574 Replies 45 Participants Last post by  nicholas.tripp
Every day most of us click a photo or 2 on the phone.

This thread is for ordinary type photos that you snapped today.
They might be about the boat, about your life, or where you are.

They don't need to be artistic 'wow' photos, just a snap. 😊😊😊

They don't even need a caption.

Mark
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 575 Posts
2 layers of clouds, one above us, the other below us. West Virginia.
Cloud Sky Light Road surface Infrastructure
See less See more
Reactions: 3
SUPed out to a small island on the GOM today. Spent the day shelling, playing in the surf.
Sky Water Watercraft Boat Vehicle
See less See more
Tomorrow the SUP goes away and I get into sailboat racing mode.
Water Cloud Sky Paddle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Everglades Challenge boat.

Lots packed into 17 feet of boat. Lead centreboard plus water ballast system. Self righting, cat ketch with spinnaker. Full size garmin nav system, vhf, 100 watts of solar, on board cook set up.

2 bunks but one of us will sail while the other sleeps. We will be running 24 hrs/day.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Boat trailer
See less See more
Stand Up Paddle Boarding the Florida Keys. I have no intention of feeding the crocodiles, but thanks fir the warning sign 🙃
Natural environment Tree Standing Plant Surfboard
See less See more
I have been SUP camping around the Florida Keys for the last couple of days hoping to get an American Saltwater Croc on film. No luck.
But today I did have a huge Manatee, probably a 10 footer swim under my Paddle Board. I got this Board from my wife for Christmas so O am still pretty new to the sport but this gentle giant swam only inches under my Board and I didn't feel a ripple.
Water Fluid Watercourse Liquid Fluvial landforms of streams
See less See more
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 5
Paddle Boarding with the Kids, Bahia Honda.
Water Watercraft Sky Sports equipment Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
See less See more
Making freinds with the locals on Big Pine Key.
Plant Water Reptile Crocodile Nile crocodile
See less See more
  • Wow
Basement boat building while the snow melts.

This little craft will be electric primary propulsion with auxillary sails. Kids wanted a fishing boat for local pike, perch and bass fishing. Electric propulsion just seemed to make the most sense for the task at hand. The boat will have a single 36 sq ft sail for trolling and moving off the wind.

The designer says it's a canoe, but looking at the shape I think it's a small Sharpie 🤔

Boat is a "Quick Electric" by Australian boat designer Michael Storer.
Automotive tire Wood Grey Road surface Flooring
See less See more
  • Love
Waiting out an ice storm. A million people without power in Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec for the last 30+ hours.

Worst storm I have ever seen. Thunder and lightning during an ice storm, cracks of trees and branches falling went on for about 24 hours. Flooding, lots of flooding.

Has been fine for us, 3800 watt generator has been keeping our sump pump running, pumping a couple of tons of water an hour out of the basement. About half the houses on the street have generators, but every one has power for their sump pumps because those of us with gens, run extension cords to our neighbour's without, mostly elderly.

Around 2 this afternoon the sun came out and started to melt the ice off the trees.

Sky Plant Snow Branch Natural landscape
See less See more
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
It's not stupid question. In Canada foundations need to be built below the frost line to keep the foundation from shifting due to frost. In Ottawa that means about 6 to 8 feet deep.

We usually have "sump weĺls" that allow some water into the basement to keep hydrostatic forces from collapsing our foundations from the outside.

This particular ice storm came with a LOT of rain. The rain built up on the trees and froze. The tree limbs became very heavy with ice and the trees started falling.

When the trees fell, they took out infrastructure, namely power lines, but they also landed on houses, roads, vehicles and people.

So, what happened was: emergency services were maxed out due to the falling trees. Hydro wires were destroyed by falling trees. And a **** ton of rain fell that combined with melting snow from the winter.

Lightning and thunder further impacted hydro workers ability to respond.

So the water coming in to the basements is a combination of factors and our challenges in dewatering are also a combination of factors.

But, we are winning as long as I can keep the pumps running. Haven't slept in 40 hours, but the benefit is neither my, nor my elderly neighbour's house has been destroyed 😀
See less See more
  • Wow
Update. 0130, just got another tank of gas into genny. Should be good until 0630.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Musical instrument Automotive design
See less See more
Well, now that power has been restored, I can get back to buisiness. Race training. Sorry, no spinnakers or kicking straps, I am talking about white water canoe racing. Best racing is done when the snow is melting and the rivers are at their fastest.
Water Boat Plant Paddle Vehicle
See less See more
Reactions: 4
you’re nuts. They make televisions to watch that kind of foolhardy stuff.
I paddle at my own pace :)
Funny this comes up. Just watching a tv show about a 200 mile overnight canoe race in Texas. Seeing you have a head light. I assume you do some overnight races as well?
It's a GoPro, but I do. There are quite a few overnight canoe races. The Longest that I know of is the Yukon 1000. 1000 miles from Yukon Territory into Alaska. The Race | Yukon 1000
Local races the next two week ends. Raisin River Race and Jock River Race. Plan to do the Petawawa Traverse to McManus this summer.
1 - 20 of 575 Posts