SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tried and true methods for keeping these bastards out of and away from the boat? We don't leave food or beverages out, we've hung ziplock bags filled with water (which seemed to be effective at first, but no longer), tried sprays, and now we just walk around with fly swatter in hand, yelling, "DIE, DIE, DIE" all day long. We have screens, but they still seem to find their way in.

If anyone knows of a fly deterrent, I'd be forever grateful!

·
Banned
12,366 Posts
Flies.....the carnivouous flies

The worst ones are the green head flies found in NJ and along the Delaware River. The green head fly is the NJ state bird. They have a green head...are somehwat good sized...and bite you till you kill them. On our most recent trip back from the Long Island Sound and NE on our long slop up the tidal Delaware we killed over 500 of them in the cockpit. We litterally had to hose it down and scrub it clean. We armed ourselves with flyswatters ( we keep them in the taable in the cockpit) and actually had to put on long clothes to keep them from driving us nuts for the 8 hour trip. We always have extra swatters on board as we dont want to be defenseless. They thrive in areas of alm ( around your ankles )

Our screens do hold them out of the boat so no worries at anchor.

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Flies are attracted by smell of something they want to eat. I guess your smell attracts them since food is not around. Some flies come from a mile away. I forgot the exact distance. Think about what you place on your skin. Suntan oil with coconut butter? Hair spray? We found Black Fly Season in Delaware to be deadly. We wore bee hoods to keep the black flies out of our nose, ears, and mouth. Our dog was not that lucky to have a bee hood. We just up and left because of the flies.

Dot and John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best thing we found was a Tilley lamp on the roof outside the boat. If you are not familiar with a Tilley lamp, Made in Ireland, Runs on parrafin. The flies zoom in on it like Kami Kazzi pilots.Instant creamation.You need to put a sheet of something underneath to catch the little devils, Otherwise you will have a fair old job cleaning up next morning.We had a similar problem up in Scotland many years ago. Worked for us. I suppose a Butane lamp would do the job but I think the Tilley is a lot hotter.??? dont know.

Let me know if you try it.

Matelot UK

·
Registered
163 Posts
Best thing we found was a Tilley lamp on the roof outside the boat. If you are not familiar with a Tilley lamp, Made in Ireland, Runs on parrafin. The flies zoom in on it like Kami Kazzi pilots.Instant creamation.You need to put a sheet of something underneath to catch the little devils, Otherwise you will have a fair old job cleaning up next morning.We had a similar problem up in Scotland many years ago. Worked for us. I suppose a Butane lamp would do the job but I think the Tilley is a lot hotter.??? dont know.

Let me know if you try it.

Matelot UK
I had to look this one up in wikipedia ....

the fuel known in the United Kingdom, Ireland and South Africa as paraffin oil or just paraffin, is called kerosene in most of the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

·
Banned
12,366 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,537 Posts
People loved this electric bug zapper;

Reactions: jimrafford

·
Registered
6,691 Posts
The absolute best thing I've found for both greenhead and marsh flies (black flies) is Avon Skin So Soft. Unfortunately, it's only good for a couple hours, then you have to lather up again.

I recently purchased something else to cope with the flies - a 10 X 10 foot screen enclosure that I purchased from Walmart for $39. I haven't used it yet, but hope to try it out this weekend when I go to work on the boat to finish a few projects. Take a look at the first page of http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/50044-low-buck-projects-lets-see-em.html

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Look into permethrin. That's a synthetic version of a chyrsanthemum extract, used in the bug-repellent clothing and sold as a DIY treatment for your own clothing as well. Everyone swears it is safe for humans, but soak a surface with it (or your clothing) and let it dry, and many-legged critters of all kinds simply drop dead when they touch it.

It is intended mainly as a flea and tick killer but seems to keep flies, mosquitoes, all sorts of critters conveniently dead on arrival.

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,650 Posts
i use dagger(is mexican, awesome stuff) and my green tennis racket looking zapper and for skeeters, i use autan, is also mexican, and only thing i have ever found that works for me...skin so soft does nothing for skeeters or flies for me. they seem to love it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not a repellent, but the electric zappers shaped like tennis rackets are a blast to use. I got one for each of my 3 sons. They serve two purposes, keep the boys busy, and reduce the local fly population.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I will have to get one of those tennis racket looking bug-zappers for sure. Chris would be absolutely thrilled and entertained. For someone who loves and respects nature so much, he sure does love killing the flies!

I saw the thread about the greenheads, but those mostly offered suggestions like bug sprays and such. I don't like to lather myself up in smelly sprays/lotions, and DEET is toxic to dogs.

Mostly looking for a way to keep the flies from coming into and around the boat in such plentiful numbers, as I know it's probably impossible to keep them away entirely. I did find one suggestion online that I want to try: get an apple scented dish soap and a mason jar. Fill an inch of soap, then an inch of water. Set outside in the cockpit, and the flies will go down into the jar and drown. There's a variation where you put sugar and water, but apparently the dish soap works and sugar doesn't. Don't ask me why.

·
Blue Horizons
1,052 Posts
The tried and true method for keeping out the biting insects in the bahamas is a mix of diesel fuel and turpentine applied to any screens or around any openings/hatches.
The biting flies in the bahamas are small enough to go through the mesh screens so the diesl turpentine mix keeps them out.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The tried and true method for keeping out the biting insects in the bahamas is a mix of diesel fuel and turpentine applied to any screens or around any openings/hatches.
The biting flies in the bahamas are small enough to go through the mesh screens so the diesl turpentine mix keeps them out.
I heard someone else talking about that. I have never done it. We keep a screen mesh to lay over the hatch when open.

I think Melody was on the right track with the attractant. Only thing I would change is putting it into a large sprayer and coating the closest Sea Ray. The enemy of my enemy, etc...

Brian

PS In all seriousness, fans work, Melody. We have also sprayed the screen with bug spray. I have always wondered if a stong water mixture of basil water would work too??? Don't know, but most other bugs dont like it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts