SailNet Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point to a cost effective way to mount a smaller danforth on the stern of my boat? I see the rail mounts and stanchion brackets. Anyone have a preference and affordable source? Trying to avoid $50. How's about a DIY solution? thanks...

·
Master Mariner
9,187 Posts
There are deck mounts for Danforth anchors which shouldn't be too expensive, but if they are, it's pretty easy to make the same mounts out of wood.

·
Registered
830 Posts
How cheap is a piece of PVC pipe, sized to the anchor shank? A pair of s.s.clamps to an aft stantion and yer set! Guide the rode down through and all's well. Need to anchor right smart? Simply lift the Danforth free and drop offthe stern. and cleat off.
Simple (and cheep) as it get. :)

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I'm imagining something that creatively uses PVC pipe and hose clamps.

MedSailor

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
How cheap is a piece of PVC pipe, sized to the anchor shank? A pair of s.s.clamps to an aft stantion and yer set! Guide the rode down through and all's well. Need to anchor right smart? Simply lift the Danforth free and drop offthe stern. and cleat off.
The stern on my Coronado is getting crowded with a bbq, table, lifesling, and now an anchor. I plan on doing the pvc method too.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Looks like we were posting at the same time. Great minds think alike. ;)

MedSailor

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks. I actually walked the Isle at Lowes today pondering the potential use of pvc... The challenge will coming up with proper attachment... Hose clamps could work... But I am also pondering placing the eventual holder down in the basically empty stern laz to keep the exterior nice and clean looking... Keep the brilliant ideas coming... Nothing please more than saving some bucks for more critical boat purchases...

·
Sailor
934 Posts
If it's going in a lazarette, don't people simply lay it and the rode down on the bottom with other items placed around or on top?

Tod

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
Don't be Penny-Wise and Pound-Foolish. The first two entries on this page at Defender are each less than $50 and work. The SailNet store might also carry these items at competitive prices.

Reactions: newhaul

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah on second thought the pic sounds like something potentially ugly which if the boat was ugly would not be a problem. So I am between shelling for the store bought stanchion bracket or just piling it in rear laz and dumping stuff on top... Or rig up some sort of ugly hanger down in laz out of sight... Hmm... So many options ...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Here's an idea. I've got a small power boat with a Danforth in a small bow locker that uses something that looks like stainless broom handle clips that grab both ends of the rod that runs horizontal at the bottom of the flukes. You could mount a couple of these in a locker on the side, and hang the anchor upside down just like in my stinkpot. This would be ultra-cheap hardware store stuff, although the clips might not be stainless (so what, replace them after a few years for 2 bucks).

Did I just admit I have a stinkpot...woops;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
My HR28 has our oversized Danforth in chocks on the foredeck. Yes, it can be a toe stubber... but it is also at-the-ready. Last year we had a little engine emergency; it died in the mooring field. I was able to deploy the anchor in about 30 seconds to secure the boat while we dealt with the situation.

That gave me a new appreciation for an anchor as emergency equipment. If our anchor was sitting on a stern rail, we'd have been a full extra minute or more getting secured... with the tidal current we were in, that minute might have made for a very unhappy outcome.

·
Barquito
3,728 Posts
I have seen some secured to the rail with two loops of rope. If they are the right width, the bars on the anchor will slip into the loops, and secure the anchor. To remove, pull the loop off one side, then the other. Could have the rode in a locker with a snap shackle or 'beener for emergency use only.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's an idea. I've got a small power boat with a Danforth in a small bow locker that uses something that looks like stainless broom handle clips that grab both ends of the rod that runs horizontal at the bottom of the flukes. You could mount a couple of these in a locker on the side, and hang the anchor upside down just like in my stinkpot. This would be ultra-cheap hardware store stuff, although the clips might not be stainless (so what, replace them after a few years for 2 bucks).

Did I just admit I have a stinkpot...woops;)
Now this sounds creative, cheap, and out of sight from prying neighbor boat eyes... could be a winner here...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts