SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember when you’re on the water safety is the number one priority. Last week two sailors were forced to shore by the Coast Guard. To see the whole story go to: Missing sailors found: 'We didn't know what we were getting into.For safety tips check out

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Is there a link or do we just google " Missing sailors found "

Whoa, just googled " missing sailor found ".........412,000 hits, maybe that is the OP's point....or not

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
They had thought about this for a year and this was the outcome. It seem that anyone who spent an hour or 2 on one of the sailing forums would know that you need basic safety items. A life jacket and a jar of peanut butter is a good start. I carry more safety gear on my belt than the had on their entire boat. Sounds like a good submission for the Darwin award.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
One danger of sailing: No wind and you are out of fuel... :laugher

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Yes, these two morons actually had video aboard showing one of them reading "Sailing for Dummies" while on the boat. Unfortunately, we need a bit more bleach in the shallow end of the gene pool.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Putting aside leaving Avalon being ill-equip'ed, they did pretty good for a couple of rookie kids. They hoped a train for a 8hr trip to So. Ca., picked up a boat for 2 grand on the Island, sailed the ill-equiped boat 200 plus nm through some nasty water, including a heavily traveled shipping lane, past Pt Conception to Pt San Luis.

Lets hope the adventure continues on as a safe one

And why the hell does anyone that starts off on the wrong foot gets labeled a moron or is nominated for the Darwins golden fickle of fate award

·
1977 Morgan OI 30
438 Posts
Peanut butter...

They had thought about this for a year... A life jacket and a jar of peanut butter is a good start. I carry more safety gear on my belt
Like that! Peanut butter in the dinghy kit box and in the cabin. Good stuff. I carry a knife and leatherman tool on the belt.

I hope the boys do some serious reading and take some lessons but continue the adventure.

'Pain is a great teacher'

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
The only reason they didn't end up dead is pure dumb luck. Not b/c they're doing a good job.

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Putting aside leaving Avalon being ill-equip'ed, they did pretty good for a couple of rookie kids. They hoped a train for a 8hr trip to So. Ca., picked up a boat for 2 grand on the Island, sailed the ill-equiped boat 200 plus nm through some nasty water, including a heavily traveled shipping lane, past Pt Conception to Pt San Luis.

Lets hope the adventure continues on as a safe one

And why the hell does anyone that starts off on the wrong foot gets labeled a moron or is nominated for the Darwins golden fickle of fate award
Because they did something stupid and dumb and endangered others.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm about in the middle on this one.
I think they were stupid for not having basic safety equipment, but for the rest, there is no indication in the story that they even had a problem,let alone actually engangered anyone else.

This line: 'When we came around the point we just headed in this direction and then that's when the C130 came flying over our heads.' would indicate all was well.

There are only two differences between their story and the way I learned to sail. one was that I had a life jacket and flare gun, My family lived across the country, plus I was on vacation and between girlfriends at the time so there was no-one to get worried and call the Coast Gaurd.

Semi-related, my son inlaw and I often go on a 115 mile (one way) bicycle trip, we average 6-1/2 hours each way. One year my 20 year old stepson decided he wanted to try it. He was not a distance rider, but was certain he could make the trip. He did make it, but it stretched out to nearly 12 hours, The last 4 of which we were stopped nearly every hour because his girlfriend was worried when we didn't make the trip in 6-1/2 hours and had called up the state police. He ended up catching a ride back, while we biked.

Ken.

·
SSQ74
41 Posts
Interesting, I am not a believer in "luck" either good or bad..

As with most undertakings, minimal skills are fine until major expertise is necessary...

I will say for "thinking" about this adventure for a year they are poor studies and exceptionally naive, but to hop a train, buy a boat, slip the lines and sail "over there" is what being 18 and 22 year old is about sometimes.

Thankfully, they are fine, the Search and Rescue teams are fine and all turned out well....

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Peanut butter is good for you. It puts hair on your chest and other things on girls' chests.:laugher

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
While they weren't yet in danger, given their lack of sailing skills, experience, equipment and knowledge, it surely wasn't far off. They really should have filed a float plan with their families as well. It is likely if they had filed a float plan, and continued on their trip, we wouldn't be hearing about them... but it is also very likely that they'd both be dead or missing.

·
Hunter 33.1
37 Posts
Just remember we payed to fill up the 130.

I am sure in my youth and even now I could earn a Darwin award nomination.

·
An Aussie Sailor
122 Posts
poopdeckpappy; And why the hell does anyone that starts off on the wrong foot gets labeled a moron or is nominated for the Darwins golden fickle of fate award[/QUOTE said:
Well sorry but I reckon they were stupid, no thought about the possible re-percussion's of their actions. No preparation and yet they claim to have researched a bit, they need more practice in their study skills.
They worried their families, cost organizations time and money searching for them and at the end say they will do it again..
No mention of learning a lesson or being more prepared.

Spare me the line of "they are only young" ppl younger then they are have sailed around the world, 17 yo olds can hold a pilots licence, that's preparation.

It's all about attitude, you simply need to start with the premise that you "don't know nuthin" and then study till you do.

Mychael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts