SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,697 Posts
I had an ancient (circa 2005?) HP laptop with a SSD running WIndows XP that I used to do all my navigation. I swapped it out last year with this one; a Dell Inspiron 15 5570 with a 500GB SSD. All my files and photos related to the boat are in my DropBox account. One of the reasons that I ditched the XP machine is that DropBox no longer supports XP. Otherwise the XP laptop works fine. Because EVERYTHING is stored in DropBox, I never have to do backup, and everything is available from any of my devices (PC, tablet, smartphone, etc.)

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,697 Posts
This only works if one has continual good internet connection at reasonable cost. If one spends time at sea or moves through other countries paying by the GB, cloud computing gets pretty expensive, and unavailable when not connected.

Mark
DropBox caches data locally. I can use and make changes to the files in my DB folders without internet, and the files are automatically updated to the latest versions when I re-connect.

I agree that internet costs while travelling internationally could be an issue. Although, I did have internet access through my phone as a mobile hotspot (T-Mobile offers free international data and TXT on my plan) when I went to the DR, and St. Thomas two years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts