SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
My wife is a photographer. She uses a couple of 2TB (maybe 4TB, I don't remember) SSD's - one is used as a mirrored backup. In 13yrs on board with countless hard drives, we have never had a SSD go bad, and have only lost one HD.

Mark

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
We've had no problem with consumer electronics on the boat. Never put them in cases or dry bags or use any type of care. The computer I'm typing on now was bought in 2012, and there is an even older one on board running fine. None of the phones, ipods, MIFI's, routers, stereos, label makers, TV and the like have ever had any problems - and many of those have been on the boat for 13yrs. My wife has tons of cameras, including underwater ones, and they are just fine after many years.

In contrast, we have had many marine electronics bite the dust early due to probable environmental issues.

Mark

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Because EVERYTHING is stored in DropBox, I never have to do backup, and everything is available from any of my devices (PC, tablet, smartphone, etc.)
This only works if one has continual good internet connection at reasonable cost. If one spends time at sea or moves through other countries paying by the GB, cloud computing gets pretty expensive, and unavailable when not connected.

Mark

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
We have T-Mobile. The international roaming is a great feature, but if you use it more than a few months continually outside the US, they drop you completely and don't let you return. It isn't a plan for outside the US.

Mark

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
That's great to know. I didn't realise thumb drives had gotten so big. That's a storage solution I might consider for myself.
They are slow and less robust than a SSD. Personally, I wouldn't rely on one for backup purposes. They would probably be good for use in the field as a temporary transfer mechanism.

Edit: I don't think they make flash drives at 2TB. The ones I just looked up are fake and only 16-64GB. I couldn't find a real 2TB one on a quick search. They do make them up to 1TB, but they cost almost as much as a SSD.

Mark

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
SSD is a nogo for me (for backups).
Why is that?

Large drives are always the most fragile, but 2TB isn't even large anymore. We have several of them churning away serving media for years now with no problems, and they are spinning disks lying on edge. The SSD's we have seem pretty bulletproof in comparison.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts