SailNet Community banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm going to be a bit contrary here. As a retired storage engineer, I have done my share of data recovery efforts. If you get an accidental deletion of data on an SSD, it is GONE in sub-seconds; not recoverable (at least for normal filesystems). The newer and faster the drive, the faster it happens. You better have a backup of anything you care about. Windows crashes (though less frequent than they used to be, and less frequently) can do accidental deletions. All of the data recoveries I can remember were from Windows related. HDDs, on the other hand, you can do data recovery relatively easily.

As long as you can recover the data easily if lost, SSDs have many advantages: lower power, faster access, no moving parts. But there is a trade off.
good point, I usually use the 3-2-1 backup logic on land ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
II am confused by the need for so much data storage. If you are taking lots of digital pix. save and copy them to multiple USB thumb drives.... If you have other formats... that can be viewed / used on a pc.... same thing... spread sheets, data bases, word files, emails... and then the cloud of Google seems to auto store "things" as well.

Be specific... what do you need to store?
it is not only storing what I need. Cataloging and post processing is important too! I have a perfectly working workflow on land, was just wondering about a different environment!

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
Without being disrespectful to the OP.. I am herein declaring this storage data concern.... rubbish.
The OP states he's only been i year into sailing... done a few courses, done a few sails... doesn't appear to own a boat.

WHAT DATA DOES HE NEED TO MANAGE?

I recommend that the mods delete this thread as SPAM.
The original poster posed a perfectly legitimate question.

It doesn't take a lot of 4k video footage to chew through a lot of storage space. My last one week vacation I shot about 100 gigs of video. A lot of it turned out to be unusable junk, but I got 3 short videos out of it.

I have been shooting video on boats for years and have already learned something from this thread.

What some one chooses to take pictures or videos of is entirely up to them. This was a technical question about storage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The original poster posed a perfectly legitimate question.

It doesn't take a lot of 4k video footage to chew through a lot of storage space. My last one week vacation I shot about 100 gigs of video. A lot of it turned out to be unusable junk, but I got 3 short videos out of it.

I have been shooting video on boats for years and have already learned something from this thread.

What some one chooses to take pictures or videos of is entirely up to them. This was a technical question about storage.
Thank you!

·
Administrator
8,330 Posts
Therad cleaned up.

To @Elcano we have removed several disrespectful replies.
As you are a new member may I assure you Sailnet does not accept those type of replies and I hope you have not been offended. If something like that happens again please click the "Report" button and a Moderator will assist.

One Member is banned from interacting in this thread.

Mark

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
That's great to know. I didn't realise thumb drives had gotten so big. That's a storage solution I might consider for myself.
They are slow and less robust than a SSD. Personally, I wouldn't rely on one for backup purposes. They would probably be good for use in the field as a temporary transfer mechanism.

Edit: I don't think they make flash drives at 2TB. The ones I just looked up are fake and only 16-64GB. I couldn't find a real 2TB one on a quick search. They do make them up to 1TB, but they cost almost as much as a SSD.

Mark

·
Administrator
5,924 Posts
I'm not having any Cloud have any personal info. No files, no photos... No back up Tax accounts... Nuffin.

😊

Mark
Sorry Mark. If you keep your money in a bank, you're already in the cloud. Probably have been since the mid-90s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Therad cleaned up.

To @Elcano we have removed several disrespectful replies.
As you are a new member may I assure you Sailnet does not accept those type of replies and I hope you have not been offended. If something like that happens again please click the "Report" button and a Moderator will assist.

One Member is banned from interacting in this thread.

Mark
Wow, respect. Clear rules here, love it! I still really enjoy the thread and learnt a lot regarding my question! Thanks guys

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a disk caddy, its is external and accepts 2 disk drives. SSD is a nogo for me (for backups). I get high speed drives and sealed drive storage containers from Amazon. A free program will allow for mirroring the internal drive. If my pc drive fails, I snag a fresh mirrored drive and mirror it to the new internal replacement ssd It already has the OS set up w all my programs, shortcuts, etc. Its a mirrored drive! As an IT Pro who has done tons of data recovery for folks...If you dont have two backups, your not backed up. (Any drive over two terrabytes is considered unstable in the IT Pro world. High failure rate.

·
Registered
Columbia 8,7
12 Posts
I have a disk caddy, its is external and accepts 2 disk drives. SSD is a nogo for me (for backups). I get high speed drives and sealed drive storage containers from Amazon. A free program will allow for mirroring the internal drive. If my pc drive fails, I snag a fresh mirrored drive and mirror it to the new internal replacement ssd It already has the OS set up w all my programs, shortcuts, etc. Its a mirrored drive! As an IT Pro who has done tons of data recovery for folks...If you dont have two backups, your not backed up. (Any drive over two terrabytes is considered unstable in the IT Pro world. High failure rate.
I run a network on my boat and have a couple of tricks that work well for me.

One of my RaspberryPi's (Chart-plotter # 2) has a 1/2 TB SSD so I have it setup to capture new data from my camera's and then compress that days input (for packaging), for every day there is new data. Each time it finds a Wifi it moves the data up to my home servers where it is backed up across two NAS's.

I use a long range wifi system that looks for any wifi and then opens a path to home base. It has worked quite well for over 5 years.

The drive also keeps a stack of movies, music and audio books with a 1/4 usb drive for backup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run a network on my boat and have a couple of tricks that work well for me.

One of my RaspberryPi's (Chart-plotter # 2) has a 1/2 TB SSD so I have it setup to capture new data from my camera's and then compress that days input (for packaging), for every day there is new data. Each time it finds a Wifi it moves the data up to my home servers where it is backed up across two NAS's.

I use a long range wifi system that looks for any wifi and then opens a path to home base. It has worked quite well for over 5 years.

The drive also keeps a stack of movies, music and audio books with a 1/4 usb drive for backup.
Nice. We have a long range wifi for cruising as well. The raspi, imo, is too much for the ordinary bear. Not really, but the unknown newness for allot of peeps makes it seem more diff than it is. More people should try it, they are inexpensive powerhouses. Good work !!

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
SSD is a nogo for me (for backups).
Why is that?

Large drives are always the most fragile, but 2TB isn't even large anymore. We have several of them churning away serving media for years now with no problems, and they are spinning disks lying on edge. The SSD's we have seem pretty bulletproof in comparison.

Mark

·
Registered
Hunter 386
652 Posts
I'm not having any Cloud have any personal info. No files, no photos... No back up Tax accounts... Nuffin.

😊

Mark
I've been experimenting with a Raspberry Pi and Nextcloud which is basically a "private" cloud server. So anything I put in Nextcloud from my phone or laptop is uploaded to the cloud that lives under my desk at home. Seems to work pretty good so far—so it seems some clouds do have a silver linings
:p

·
Registered
Columbia 8,7
12 Posts
I've been experimenting with a Raspberry Pi and Nextcloud which is basically a "private" cloud server. So anything I put in Nextcloud from my phone or laptop is uploaded to the cloud that lives under my desk at home. Seems to work pretty good so far—so it seems some clouds do have a silver linings
:p
I have been using Raspberry's for a long time and I teach classes in Data Intercept using them, in my home there are maybe 8 or more doing functions quietly on 5v usb chargers: weather systems, motion cameras, TV DVR,flight tracking, running my 3D printer, managing home security and automation etc.

On the boat there are 2, both have ksignal to pass data around, run OpenPloter, turn big plotter display into movie screen at night, grad AIS, talk to all the onboard instruments (Seatalk, MicroNet, GPS, Auto Helm). Plus my favorite fun toy: when I spot a Wifi I run a set of programs to gain access and then keep a database of each wifi and password I find so as I travel with 5 miles of land I always have Inet.

Biggest cost was a nice USB powered 16" monitor

21 - 38 of 38 Posts