SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a Datamarine fluxgate compass for my old Datamarine Link 5000. I doubt I can find one. I need information about how to connect another fluxgate to the Link 5000. I have a Autohelm fluxgate with a five wire attachment to the Autohelm. I am sure two wires must be power. The Link 5000 has only two connections for a fluxgate. Does anyone have information about what the Link 5000 compass input requirement is, or what the Autohelm fluxgate output is?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got this response from DMI, which repairs datamarine instruments

The L500 compass is long gone. The LINK 5100 will not recognize a
NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 data sentence. The only compass output that will
work with your LINK 5000 must have a N+1 output. It is an old output
that is not used anymore. The only company that may still make one is
KVH.

Anybody have any ideas about a used KVH? Or what type KVH would have the N+1 output?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The AutoComp 1000 employs KVH's breakthrough digital fluxgate compass technology to provide precision heading data to an array of systems, including autopilots, GPS, video charts, radars, computers, and other electronic instruments. Designed as a remote sensor, the AutoComp 1000 can be mounted in a magnetically "clean" location (e.g., away from speakers, motors, wiring bundles, and other sources of changing magnetic fields), and its continuous automatic compensation feature ensures that the most precise heading data (within ±0.5°) is available at all times. The AutoComp 1000 is fully compatible with the NMEA 0183 output standard and a universal interface card is available for use with other interface standards. AutoComp 1000S is a ±45° gimballed, free-floating coil version for sailboats and AutoComp 1000P is a ±25° strap-down, free-floating coil version for power boats.

Highlights:

* Remote sensor with continuous autocompensation ensures reliable heading data at all times
* Accurate to within ±0.5°
* Fast 10 Hz NMEA 0183 standard output compatible with other ARPA radars, autopilots, and other electronic systems; optional interface card available for other outputs
* Options include mounting bracket and extension cables
* Variants for use aboard sailboats and power vessels as well as in OEM applications

I have one and getting any info out of them is a bit hard as there phone is allways busy becasue there TracVision systems are the big sellers now

·
Registered
987 Posts
/Dear Tommays:
I try to connect an AUTOCMP to a Raymarine E120, via NMEA. I also use a multiplexor because the SEATALK input of the E120 seem to be out. I receive everything OK from the RS125 GPS antenna. I can't get anything from the K1000. The great poeple ( really - no sarcasm here ) told me that I should have a voltage variation at the NMEA OUT of the K1000. This is a brand new unit as the previous one had given me the same problems. Can you give me any direction ? Thank you !

·
Registered
987 Posts
Autocomp K1000 to E120

Sorry: I needed two posts in the forum before being allowed to post an image.:laugher

This of course relates to my problems about connecting the K1000 to the E120.
Any help would be more than appreciated!
- robert -

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, the fluxgate compass that is required for the link 5100 is a specific type.

The LINK 5100 will not recognize aNMEA0183 or NMEA2000 data sentence. The only compass output that will work with your LINK 5000 must have a N+1 output. It is an old output that is not used anymore.

So if anyone has THAT type then I very much want one also!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
do you know if there is a replacement fluxgate compass (raymarine or simrad) that will work for the navico ph8000 autopilot. The output for the compass has four wires which I gather is what simrad has, but I can't find any reference for the sentence output from the navico unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know its been 4 years but thought I would let you know I just bought a Catalina 42 that has a link 5000. It also has a Alpha Marine Auto pilot that uses a fluxgate compass that uses the N+1 format. The good news is that they are still in business. website is alphamarinesystems.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts