SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all!! Well, March is not far away and it is time to start thinking about getting the boat ready to splash. Yay!!

One thing we want to do is to add davits, buy a dinghy & add solar panels.

My question is....how do I know if our boat is heavy enough to carry the weight of davits and a Portland Pudgy...which is what I want. A Portland Pudgy weighs 128 lbs.

We have a Columbia 8.7, 28" 7" which has a Displacement of 8,500 lbs and a Ballast - 3,500 lbs.

I really have no question about solar panels...just threw that in because we will put those on top of the davits...so might have to add their weight in as well. Which, I think s/b negligible, right?

Thnx oodles!!

·
bell ringer
5,082 Posts
If your boat can carry a 128 lb person, why wouldn't you think it could carry a 128 lb dinghy?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don0190 - I guess because all of the weight of the davits & dingy would be hanging off the back of the boat? How much weight can I put back there? Or is this a non-issue?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
That 128 will be leveraged off the stern and cause some squatting. And glass solar panels are pretty heavy.

strap on a harness, clip on to your topping lift and stand off the stern of your boat to see how much you affect your waterline.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That 128 will be leveraged off the stern and cause some squatting. And glass solar panels are pretty heavy.
What is squatting?

And glass solar panels? Hmmm, thought they were all plastic & stuff?

Thnx!! :)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Sorry, but I can think of few worse choices of a tender for a 28' boat than a rigid dink that weighs as much as a Portland Pudgy...

And, few things that might degrade your boat's performance under sail to a greater extent, than dangling one off your stern on a pair of davits...

Accept the limitations of the size of your boat... If you go with a tender like that, you will be motoring EVERYWHERE, all the time...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, but I can think of few worse choices of a tender for a 28' boat than a rigid dink that weighs as much as a Portland Pudgy...

And, few things that might degrade your boat's performance under sail to a greater extent, than dangling one off your stern on a pair of davits...

Accept the limitations of the size of your boat... If you go with a tender like that, you will be motoring EVERYWHERE, all the time...
Thank you so much!! This is the info I needed. I do not want to jeopardize my boats performance under sail. That is why I asked the question, because 128 lbs seemed heavy to me.

What should I buy? Right now we'll mainly be on the Kentucky Lake (Tenn River). And, since we will be in a Marina 95% of the time...should we even bother with a dinghy? Maybe just get a kayak to go into the little bays and such?

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Jon is correct, and much more diplomatic than I. a portland pudgy is a bad fit for davits on a sub 30' boat.
It is a cramped boat. actual usable length is about 6', and unlike a short length inflatable, you don't have the option of sitting on the gunwales, everyone is inside, which makes it an okay fit for two, an uncomfortable fit for three, but impossible for any more. Loading into the pudgy from a swim ladder is a much more...delicate process than getting into an inflatable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thnx bljones....we'll look for those mentioned.

While river cruising....what about a kayak instead of an inflatable?

·
bell ringer
5,082 Posts
Thank you so much!! This is the info I needed. I do not want to jeopardize my boats performance under sail. That is why I asked the question, because 128 lbs seemed heavy to me.

What should I buy? Right now we'll mainly be on the Kentucky Lake (Tenn River). And, since we will be in a Marina 95% of the time...should we even bother with a dinghy? Maybe just get a kayak to go into the little bays and such?

In that case buy an inflatable soft floor that you can just roll up and stow in a bag.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don0190 - we'll start looking for one. Thnx!!

One thing I want is to have something to go fishing in. Like in the early mornings, I would like to leave our boat in our slip and just go out fishing a bit....so need a small boat, with a small motor, of some kind. I guess an inflatable is okay for this sort of application?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a similar size boat...28' 6", with similar displacement, and I would be hesitant to add davits to that size boat. To me, the boat is just to small...but that's just my opinon. I feel that a rollup inflatable would be the best way to go...one that can stow easily while underway and infated upon arrival. Engines have gotten pretty light...there are some under 30 lbs, that can be easily mounted once the dinghy is inflated. That is what we will likely end up doing at some point...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 30' Hunter with Kato davits, two 100watt solar panels and my dinghy weighs about 100lbs without the motor. Kato recommends no more than 300lbs on the davits I have. Even if I put the motor on, I think I'm only just over 200lbs for everything.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts