SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sailor of Small Waters
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just bought my first boat - a Vagabond 14 day sailer -and I'm getting some repairs done to get her back on the water after many years sailing a trailer around someone's back yard.

One of my additions will be a trolling motor and battery because the lakes here in central Georgia are notoriously fickle for wind. The lakes are big enough that rowing is out of the question since I don't have oar locks currently (or space for 2 oars for that matter.) It will be nice for trailering and docking as well, at least until my skills improve. I'd love to pick up a portable outboard but so far watching craigslist hasn't turned up any in my price range.

So that brings me to questions about batteries for trolling motors. I'm figuring on a 30lb thrust Minn Kota to keep the amperage down. Given the possibility of capsizing in a small boat with an inexperienced helmsman, I think an AGM battery is a good idea, but I can't find a lot of reviews.

Does anyone have recommendations for or against particular brands of AGM Marine batteries?

·
Registered
490 Posts
A trolling motor will do you just fine. You can get a "good enough" deep cycle battery at Bass Pro Shop, Walmart just about anyplace. Get a big one. Also…AGM batteries need to be charged with a charger using the AGM setting. Don't use someones old "rabbit / turtle" settings charger. Get yourself a proper charger. They aren't real expensive. I got this one.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
A trolling motor will do you just fine. You can get a "good enough" deep cycle battery at Bass Pro Shop, Walmart just about anyplace. Get a big one. Also…AGM batteries need to be charged with a charger using the AGM setting. Don't use someones old "rabbit / turtle" settings charger. Get yourself a proper charger. They aren't real expensive. I got this one.
Yes, and auto chargers can be very dangerous on boats, so get a marine specific one. Or go solar.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Keep looking for a small gas outboard. You only need a small one (2-3 hp) and will be lighter than the an electric trolling motor plus battery.
Years ago I used an air cooled 1.5 HP outboard called a "Cruise and Carry" to move my little one-man bass boat. It was very light weight and worked great. You might want to check this out.
By the time you buy a trolling motor and battery you'll have almost as much as you could get an little outboard for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts