SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
cruising all I can
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As anyone who visit's this forum may already know- I prefer to anchor my Vessel. I have done so , successfully for the years I have owned her and hope to continue to do so. As I enjoy anchoring as opposed to a dock and it is quite convenient for me.
I do not reside on my vessel as a liveaboard. I have a home and a legal address (although I wouldn't mind living on the boat, and may move aboard in the future) . As such I am not a liveaboard.
On the 6/18th I recieved a "courtesy Notice" from the city of Daytona Beach, Fl . Informing me that I was in Violation of City Ordinance 106-183 and that the notice "signifies the beginning of the removal process of the vessel by city ordinance 106-184 (impoundment of vessels) by the City of Daytona Beach Florida. here is a link to the City Ordinance;

http://library8.municode.com:80/def...68e495f376edb0c46c17ded5a809cb&infobase=10234

As I read through the ordinance I noticed that "Vessels engaged in Navigation " were exempted from this ordinance.
Also I must say that I believe I am engaged in Navigation and am exempt and further the State Statute 327.60 also backs up my right to anchor.
I contacted the Officer who issued the notice to inform him I intend to move, he said fine.
I then asked if the anchorage I had previously used for the previous year and a half (which is also in the city) was OK , to which he said yes, that was the area the city was "allowing" to be used as an anchorage.
I said OK and agreed to move in the next few days as weather would permit.
I think we've been down this road before and some folks are just not getting the message. As I understand the law, I have every right to anchor where I am for as long as I see fit to do so, as long as My "intent" is not to permenantly anchor their for perpetuity.
I am in contact w/ a Maritime law firm familiar with these issues and have forwarded the ordinance information and am in the process of forwarding the rest of the paperwork pertaining to the situation as well. and will anxiously await there take on it.
I thought it was a wives tale previoulsly when I heard of this thing happening here in Daytona and attributed it to just the law enforcements way of moving along the derelicts and the other unwashed !
So, I take my plight to the court of public opinion here on sailnet.
What say you fellow sailors?
Do I fight like a salmon or run like a scared cat?

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Fight it... :) IIRC, the state has recently passed some legislation clearly defining what constitutes a liveaboard boat... which you should probably check on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Fight it... :) IIRC, the state has recently passed some legislation clearly defining what constitutes a liveaboard boat... which you should probably check on.
That was the question that came up in my mind. If you're cruising, you will anchor somewhere for some period of time, whether you have a land-based address or not. Do municipalities have a limit on how long you can remain anchored in one place? Do you become a 'liveaboard' when your home address is a PO Box? What are the rules?:confused:

·
cruising all I can
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sailingdog-
Thank you for your response , I am aware of the recent revisions as well as the 1996 rulings and state statutes pertaining to anchoring (namely fl statute327.6) as well as there definition of a liveaboard.
However this goes beyond anchoring by liveaboards and addresses ALL vessels anchoring for any cumulative time exceeding 120 hours in any 30 day period !
As I said I thought this was already addressed apparently Daytona didn't get the memo ??

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
You can report illegal enforcement on this website.

·
cruising all I can
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sailingdog- Thanks I went to the site and filled out a complaint. I also called the gentleman listed and spoke w/ him directly.
I'm very tempted to stay anchored where I am and "be a Salmon" as my dad used to say. To "buck" the system a bit and see just how much of a stir I can create. As, I have a bit of time on my hands and jave finished all of the contract work (I do canvas and boat repair) that I have and was actually hoping to head out of town to haul for a bottom job and other scheduled maint. issues.
Maybe I'll stay and be a thorn ! I haven't decided yet. We'll see what all the lawers have to say. And if there letters (providing they wright any) have any force or influence. It is appearing that I may not be able to afford much justice.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Sailingdog- Thanks I went to the site and filled out a complaint. I also called the gentleman listed and spoke w/ him directly.
I'm very tempted to stay anchored where I am and "be a Salmon" as my dad used to say. To "buck" the system a bit and see just how much of a stir I can create. As, I have a bit of time on my hands and jave finished all of the contract work (I do canvas and boat repair) that I have and was actually hoping to head out of town to haul for a bottom job and other scheduled maint. issues.
Maybe I'll stay and be a thorn ! I haven't decided yet. We'll see what all the lawers have to say. And if there letters (providing they wright any) have any force or influence. It is appearing that I may not be able to afford much justice.
Uh - if you were conducting business from your boat, then *I BELIEVE* you dont qualify for the protections offered by the recent laws. Anchoring law only applies if you're truly in transit.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As anyone who visit's this forum may already know- I prefer to anchor my Vessel. I have done so , successfully for the years I have owned her and hope to continue to do so. As I enjoy anchoring as opposed to a dock and it is quite convenient for me.
I do not reside on my vessel as a liveaboard. I have a home and a legal address (although I wouldn't mind living on the boat, and may move aboard in the future) . As such I am not a liveaboard.
On the 6/18th I recieved a "courtesy Notice" from the city of Daytona Beach, Fl . Informing me that I was in Violation of City Ordinance 106-183 and that the notice "signifies the beginning of the removal process of the vessel by city ordinance 106-184 (impoundment of vessels) by the City of Daytona Beach Florida. here is a link to the City Ordinance;

http://library8.municode.com:80/def...68e495f376edb0c46c17ded5a809cb&infobase=10234

As I read through the ordinance I noticed that "Vessels engaged in Navigation " were exempted from this ordinance.
Also I must say that I believe I am engaged in Navigation and am exempt and further the State Statute 327.60 also backs up my right to anchor.
I contacted the Officer who issued the notice to inform him I intend to move, he said fine.
I then asked if the anchorage I had previously used for the previous year and a half (which is also in the city) was OK , to which he said yes, that was the area the city was "allowing" to be used as an anchorage.
I said OK and agreed to move in the next few days as weather would permit.
I think we've been down this road before and some folks are just not getting the message. As I understand the law, I have every right to anchor where I am for as long as I see fit to do so, as long as My "intent" is not to permenantly anchor their for perpetuity.
I am in contact w/ a Maritime law firm familiar with these issues and have forwarded the ordinance information and am in the process of forwarding the rest of the paperwork pertaining to the situation as well. and will anxiously await there take on it.
I thought it was a wives tale previoulsly when I heard of this thing happening here in Daytona and attributed it to just the law enforcements way of moving along the derelicts and the other unwashed !
So, I take my plight to the court of public opinion here on sailnet.
What say you fellow sailors?
Do I fight like a salmon or run like a scared cat?
So in other words you live in one place. Semi-permanently anchor your vessel so you can sail locally and don't consider that moored? I like your world.

A vessel in navigation [in my world not legally] is a vessel that is moving between locations and a cruiser in my world is someone who is cruising [actively moving between locations]. You are in my opinion, when we were cruising full time the boats we loved to hate, as you took the best anchoring spots [as a local even though they are not designated as mooring fields (which are limited by law)] and permanently claimed them thus severely limiting the choices cruisers actively moving had to choose from. The only reason you are not moored is that you don't have a mooring installed.

And for the guy who asked in Florida there was recent legislation that defined what a liveaboard is legally. And just to be clear I don't think 'joe' fits that definition as I read it. My gripe is something else.

Just for the record I don't care about where you are anchored as I could get not my boat into Daytona anyway due to bridge height restrictions.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Sounds like you already fought and won. You dealt with the issue, are you now going to stay to invoke a fight? For a moral victory? I think you've taken the necessary action and succeeded. Be content with success and move on.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I prefer to anchor my Vessel. I have done so , successfully for the years I have owned her and hope to continue to do so. As I enjoy anchoring as opposed to a dock and it is quite convenient for me.
So, in short, you're anchoring when another person might moor or slip?

I do not reside on my vessel as a liveaboard. I have a home and a legal address ...
Are you actually currently living in said home, at said address, or are you actually currently staying on your boat?

Also I must say that I believe I am engaged in Navigation and am exempt ...
I guess that would depend on how "engaged in Navigation" is defined. My guess would be that the definition would include verbiage to the effect that the vessel actively be "en route" from one place to another.

However [the Daytona ordinance] goes beyond anchoring by liveaboards and addresses ALL vessels anchoring for any cumulative time exceeding 120 hours in any 30 day period !
I guess they figure anybody truly "engaged in Navigation" (i.e.: "en route from one place to another") wouldn't be anchored in one spot for more than five days out of the month.

So are you actually "en route," or merely anchoring there as a more convenient and/or less expensive alternative to a mooring or a slip? (Somehow I suspect the latter.)

Jim

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Where were you anchored?

I would like to know where you were anchored. I have anchored at Daytona for the past many years and have never been bothered by the local authorities. The longest I've stayed there is about four days. I always anchor south and east of the Memorial Bridge. A beautiful spot.

·
cruising all I can
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will attempt to addrees all of your questions and clarify andy misunderstandings-

Nightowl- I do not conduct any bussiness from or upon my vessel I Have a land location for that or I work on the "sight" (marina,private dock,etc.)

Wandering Star- Best advice so far I thik your approach is a great one and I hope I can get more into that frame of thinking as it makes good sense. Thank you - not being sarcastic , I mean it.

Semijim- Is it me or do you have an axe to grink w/ alot of things?

you posted-"So, in short, you're anchoring when another person might moor or slip?"

response- Well, I guess wherever I am I'm potentially in a spot someone else "could" be? so yea. Actually I'm anchoring not mooring and as far as a slip? it would have to be quite the dock ! I'm usually a good distance from shore/other vessels.

you poste-"Are you actually currently living in said home, at said address, or are you actually currently staying on your boat?"

Response- Unfortunately I reside in my home about 3/4 of a mile from the halifax river in Daytona (I'm actually in Holly Hill, but many don't know where that is). As I said I don't yet liveaboard, but the idea sounds like it could be fun.

You posted-"I guess that would depend on how "engaged in Navigation" is defined. My guess would be that the definition would include verbiage to the effect that the vessel actively be "en route" from one place to another."

Response- Well, like most things, "I" don't get to decide what "engaged in Navigation " is defined as. So, as it appears to be a "legal" question I went to the authority of the State on these matters and that is the Florida Legislature. THEY have determined according to Title XXIV Statute 327.6 and 327.2 to define a vessel engaged in Navigation as any vessel not secured to a dock/pier or on a permanent morring Ball, Or hauled onto land or in a dry dock. And I can quote the Atty. General of the state of Florida has said as much as well. So, I guess If I'm anchored (according to the state of florida) I'm engaged in navigation (the anchoring part, to be precise)

You posted-"I guess they figure anybody truly "engaged in Navigation" (i.e.: "en route from one place to another") wouldn't be anchored in one spot for more than five days out of the month."

response- Well I guess "they" (meaning the city of Daytona I presume) are quite wrong in their "figurin' " as it falls outside of their authority to implement ANY restrictions upon federal waterways ( according to recent court proceedings and the State statutes I've already referred to)upon non-liveaboard vessels.
So, you "guessed" wrong.
Apparently you haven't taken the time to read the florida state statutes or have the same reading comprehension capabilities as the Local gov't and LEO's who are also in the wrong.
They just haven't been "taken to task" on this issue ,as I'm sure the majority of the constituants in the City couldn't care less and are oblivious to the laws,maritime traditions and probably most everything else around them ,except for the important stuff, like sports teams,what pop star passed and T.V. programming Schedules.

you posted-"So are you actually "en route," or merely anchoring there as a more convenient and/or less expensive alternative to a mooring or a slip? (Somehow I suspect the latter.)"

response- Well, you get one right (almost) I am always going somewhere on the sailboat. Sometimes I go to St. Augustine for a day or a week, sometimes I go south to Titusville and spend a month ! Sometimes I just go out to the boat and enjoy the day/afternoon/morning or a few days, schedule and workload permitting.
But you are 100% correct about some of my reasons for choosing to anchor, it started out as a financial decision (could see paying 300-500 a month to dock) . But over the last 3-4 years I have grown quite fond of not banging a dock when there is a wake or seas. No roaches aboard from a dock, and so forth . the merrits of anchoring are many !
as far as convenience, that is a matter of personal taste, some would say it's a pain. as I require a dinghy (with at least paddles, I have paddles,motor, and sails)as well as a trailer to put the dinghy upon (or dock it !) and a registered licensed insured vehicle to move it with. So , convenience? maybe/maybe not. (Wow, are you still angry?)

Vasco- I too anchored almost exclusively south of the Memorial bridge (orange ave,) for over a year and a half without a single encounter with the Marine patrol, or any other enforcement unless I summond them myself ! However a couple weeks ago I sailed to Oak Hill,Fl. to do some clamming for a couple days w/ a friend and upon my return decided to anchor the boat just south of the Seabreeze bridge as it is only 3/4 of a mile from my house and I likd the idea of walking or riding my bicycle to the river to check on the boat 1-2 times a day and close by to launch my dinghy as well! Also the anchorage south of memorial is the beginning and end of the no wake zone, very unpleasant on the weekends. And with a stiff southern wind I've seen 3-4 footers rolling . The Seabreeze bridge location is much more sheltered and in a no wake Zone.
Interestingly enough, the Officer (A.Cino Daytona PD) told me on the phone when we spoke that the Memorial bridge anchorage (the rough one) would be fine to use as long as I wanted. I asked "isn't that also in the City?" he said "yes, but we allow you to anchor there" I wonder if the fact that it is adjacent to the waste treatment plant(A beautiful spot ? and smell too during a westerly !) the other anchorage (seabreeze) is across the chanel from the private yacht club,carribean Jacks, and future Nascar docks (currently under construction) has any bearing on that? HMmmmmmm.
When I inquired "so, what's the rub w/ anchoring?" he replied " the land owners complain about having to look at boats at anchor"
Well I don't care for alot I see outside the property lines of my property either, but if the activity is within the written law , then I guess I cannot do alot about it. I don't get to supersede state law when it suits me. According to the ordinance it refers to ALL the city encompassed waters.

Fianlly SVsirious - I'm glad to hear about "your world" sounds like an interesting place. What color is the sky there?
Here on Earth, specifically Daytona Beach,Fl. we operate (mostly) on the rule of law and the issues you raise are and have been and continue to be adressed . As far as taking "the good spots" you remind me of watching a child playing w/ others who always wants whatever the other child wants. Get real there are hundreds of miles of shoreline and numerous anchorages.
if the specific location YOU want is taken, simply choose another ! you could anchor a couple hundred boats in this city area!
I am relieved that your mast height stops you from coming here as apparently we already have a number of people w/ your perception difficulties in good supply. PLEASE stay in Lauderdale.

Well, I hope I haven't missed anyone, I'm sure you'll inform me if I have.
I have to say, as usual here on sailnet I recieved the support of my "fellow sailors" in true sailnet fashion. It's always suprising to see the inuendo and such that different people get from the same scenario and to read the differing opinions. It helps me hone my communication skills a bit, for that I thank you and will continue to participate.It gives me a chance to be enlightened as well as prepares me for the raport of the misguided .

What say YOU.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Joe

So in other words you are moored full time on a river and claim to be in navigation. Get real, you can claim to be following the rule of law and if what you are doing is legal just keep on doing it, cause the law applies equally for all, but FWIW and IMHO what you are really doing is skirting the rules. In other words unlike the rest of us that are not cruising full time or really in navigation, you just are unwilling to pay for a fully legal space.

So in the typical sunny, stormy, weather that we all have now I just try to be equitable, and your probably right you don't want my type cause we are the type that actually goes cruising full time, and has a perspective that your kind does not. I could not really care at all about your creek on the ICW but I can show you pictures where the only anchorage in towns [in the US] in full of boats just like yours so that people on the move have to anchor outside the harbor, too close to the channels, or have to pay for mooring and or slips when not working and are on fixed or no income. My type is back at work cause I needed to make more money for the kitty leave and to go cruising again.

So Pay it forward and do the right thing but don't ***** on the net cause you don't like what you consider to be unfair treatment. If you are correct deal with it in court or through the system.

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
I don't anchor at the waste treatment plant, that's west of the bridge. I anchor just south of the Memorial Bridge. And east of it. It's quite sheltered. It's just east of the entrance to Halifax Harbour. I have anchored at the waste treatment plant (only once) the bottom is so crappy there it took me half an hour to wash down the anchor chain. Never been bothered in the Memorial Bridge anchorage.

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Joe...under federal law...you are a vessel in navigation even if you are tied to a pier or a mooring ball so you are "in navigation" in the federal sense. The feds have ceded control in inland waters to the states however and the states (Florida in this case) may allow municipalities to control the use of their "bottom land" as long as the municipal regulations don't conflict with the state regulations.
Most of the Florida battles have been fought around live-aboards vs. "full time cruisers" and that has worked out pretty well over the last few years for cruisers and less so for live-aboards moored in place whether by anchor or traditional moorings.
Your situation is quite a bit different in that you simply anchor your boat for rather extended periods without being aboard and the question is "Does a Florida resident have the right to anchor/moor his vessel for an unlimited time at a particular spot in Florida waters AND do municipalities in Florida have the right to regulate such anchoring mooring in their waters (and if so...to what extent?)

Personally, I don't think the present statutes address this situation with you and you are probably gonna win if you do go to court. Of course, you will spend a bunch defending your rights and this is what the municipalities count on...when the choice is $$$ or move on...most will move on.

Finally...with the economy and foreclosures and job losses etc. we might see a lot more folks deciding to forego marinas and do what you do. Of course...state law would get revised very quickly in that case!

I will be interested in seeing how this turns out for you.

·
cruising all I can
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
svsirius-writes
So in other words you are moored full time on a river and claim to be in navigation. Get real, you can claim to be following the rule of law and if what you are doing is legal just keep on doing it, cause the law applies equally for all, but FWIW and IMHO what you are really doing is skirting the rules. In other words unlike the rest of us that are not cruising full time or really in navigation, you just are unwilling to pay for a fully legal space.
Response - No what I am doing is abiding by the LAW as it is written in the Florida State Statutes and supported by centuries of precident in navigation. It has been common place to anchor for centuries and it is a right of navigation. As far as how "heap Big Cruiser" you are , each to their own definition of that, you have yours apparently , and are showing it as well.
There is no "skirting " the City is the one who is attempting to enforce an ordinance that is clearly beyond their authority. I too have encountered crowded anchorages. Of course not being from your world (?) you're probably not familiar w/ annapolis,MD. I was there fathers day 2007 and every mooring ball in the mooring area was occupied and the creek was packed as well. Of course I didn't worry as I simply found a spot I felt comfortable in and anchored, no problem. The following morning the Harbormaster came around introduced himself and handed me printed material about the area and we had a nice chat. THAT'S the way it should be, not -get out after 5 days! He even said if I needed to walk the dogs I could take them to the park , this guy was great.

Cam - thanks for chiming in.
Personally, I don't think the present statutes address this situation with you
Actually the present statutes DO address my specific situation and I'll post the section of fl statue here for you. It specifically addresses NON-liveaboard vessels at anchor and makes absolutely no reference or diferentiation between "extended Cruisers" and others. The term Extended Cruiser was in fact coined by people wishing to "skirt " the liveaboard label !

Florida State Statute 327.60 Local regulations;
limitations.—

No ordinance or local law may
apply to the Florida Intracoastal
Waterway
Ordinances and local laws are
enforceable only when they
are not in conflict with chapter
327 (including any amendments)
or the rules adopted under
chapter 327 (including 68D-23,
Florida Admin. Code)

327.60 Local regulations;
limitations.—

(2) Nothing contained in the
provisions of this section shall
be construed to prohibit local
governmental authorities from
the enactment or enforcement
of regulations which prohibit or
restrict the mooring or anchoring
of floating structures or
live-aboard vessels within
their jurisdictions. However, . . .

327.60 Local regulations;
limitations.—

local governmental authorities
are prohibited from regulating
the anchorage of non-live-aboard
vessels engaged in the exercise
of rights of navigation.

“Rights of Navigation”

"Public rights on navigable waters
are not restricted to navigation
in the strict sense, but include
such incidental rights as are
necessary to render the right
of navigation reasonably available."
65 C.J.S. Navigable Waters § 42.

“Rights of Navigation”

These incidental rights include
the right of the vessel to anchor
so long as it does not
unreasonably obstruct navigation.
The common-law includes rights
of anchorage as an element of
the exercise of rights of navigation.
Attorney General Opinion 85-45 (May 31, 1985)

So you see it DOES specifically address NON-liveaboard Vessels as well as the Local municipalities limitations.

Oddly Even the Daytona City Ordinance makes a distinction between the two , read part C ;

Sec. 106-183. Restrictions.
(a) No person shall moor any liveaboard vessel in the waters of the city for a cumulative period exceeding 120 hours in any 30-day period, except in a licensed marina.
(b) No person shall moor any nonliveaboard vessel in the waters of the city for a cumulative period exceeding 120 hours in any 30-day period, except in a licensed marina, at a dock or pier attached to land, or at a permitted floating mooring.
(c) This section shall not apply to the anchorage of nonliveaboard vessels engaged in the exercise of rights of navigation.
(Code 1970, § 10-159)

Bear in mind that in the cities limited vernacular they Use the term "moor" to encompass anything that is not docked (by their own definition)
where as the State makes a specific point of the differences of Mooring,docking taking a mooring ball and anchoring.

It is the interpretation of even the city ordinance that is in question. I'm a non-liveaboard vessel engaged in navigation.
As I see it and as admitted by the Daytona Police officer (A. Cino) in our phone conversation the issue is the land owners adjacent to the specific area I was anchored. And this is bolstered by the fact that I was told that if I anchored by the waste treatment facility (where Da Po-folk is be) that it was fine, well this certainly flies in the face of equal enforcement as that location is completeley and unquestionably within the city limits it's just not in sight of the MONEY locations. he even said it !!
If you fail to see this for what it is you must be blind AND deaf !
As it is the weekend I probably won't be hearing from the different Atty's I spoke w/ on friday until next week (at the earliest)
It's not a question of what is legal and equitable it is a question of "how much justice can you afford?" this is wrong,Wrong,WRONG and as a decorated US Army Combat Veteran and Conspicuous Service cross recipient I take great umbrage with that approach. I thought I was serving to uphold the constitution not make it available only to those of financial means.

In response to your correct assesment that many others will be re-assessing their docking contracts, I can tell you that when I first anchored by the waste treament facility 1 1/2 years ago there were 4-6 sailboats anchored. Today there are over 15 to include power and sail, as I have spoken to most of them on several occasions. Many indicated that they have opted to anchor to avoid the cost of a marina, A wise choice in my opinion.

as always I look forward to reading your opinions on this and other sailing related issues.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Joe, without trying to read all the FS....Are you aware that anchoring "for the purposes of navigation" has been long and uniformly defined to mean that anchoring which a vessel IN TRANSIT normally does when and as necessary?

That is, if my vessel or I am disabled and we need to stop to make repairs or take on spares, that anchoring is NECESSORY. However, if I anchor because there's a cute woman in town and I want to spend a long weekend with her--that's not necessary to navigation and I have no right to do that unless there's an anchorage provision for tourists.

If I need to drop anchor and wait for an inlet to be passable, or for a weather window to my next destination, that's NECESSARY and usual FOR NAVIGATION. Even if that takes some days. But again, if I just want to drop the hook and go to Disneyworld for the day--that's tourism, not navigation.

If you're just hanging out and being a tourist for a few days--you don't have the rights of a vessel anchoring as part of navigation. And you won't be given them. There's no room for discussion on that, the courts are clear all the way up. So, are you en route to someplace and engaged in navigation? Or are you just hanging out catching rays?

·
cruising all I can
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hellosailor-
without trying to read all the FS....Are you aware that anchoring "for the purposes of navigation" has been long and uniformly defined to mean that anchoring which a vessel IN TRANSIT normally does when and as necessary?

That is, if my vessel or I am disabled and we need to stop to make repairs or take on spares, that anchoring is NECESSORY. However, if I anchor because there's a cute woman in town and I want to spend a long weekend with her--that's not necessary to navigation and I have no right to do that unless there's an anchorage provision for tourists.

If I need to drop anchor and wait for an inlet to be passable, or for a weather window to my next destination, that's NECESSARY and usual FOR NAVIGATION. Even if that takes some days. But again, if I just want to drop the hook and go to Disneyworld for the day--that's tourism, not navigation.
Response - No I was not aware of this interpretaion of vessel in navigation. you make the claim but quote no authority law,statute,precedence or leagal defense for this claim other than an unsubstantiated statement;
There's no room for discussion on that, the courts are clear all the way up.
please enlighten me as I have found NO clear cut definition that make these claims. what is your source and reference? I am quoting the LAW as it stands and is stipulated time and time again, including the new law HB 1423. and you?

Fullkeel17-
I am eceedingly aware of HB 1423 and see no major changed from previous anchoring laws with the exception of the five (yet to be determined) test site that will require extensive and exhausting approval by the FWC. there has been no conceeding to local municipalities of a blanket type allowing or endorsing any right to regulate NON-liveaboard vessels at all !
quite the contrary it in fact stipulates that the right to anchor and engage in navigation stands with the exception of proximity of established mooring fields w/ upland facilities. and does NOT grant any other authority to municipalities not involved in the five test areas.
Interpretation and reading comprehension seem to be the shortcomingd here.
If anyone can show me precedence or law to the contrary relating to Florida I would be happy to review it. Making unsubstantiated statements about what is long established is just blowing smoke.
to quote Charmaine Smith Ladd "Don't snow me - show me "

1 - 20 of 71 Posts