SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night the generator started as always. This morning, it wouldn't and the 4D was way DEAD.
After a whole day of solar charging the hydrometer says one cell is bad, very bad. I'm a month or two away from relatively cheap batteries in PR. Can anyone think of a way to bring this battery back for a short time or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and pay West Indian prices for a new one?

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,579 Posts
Eat everything in the freezer and turn all your power off and slowly charge up over a few days.

It may give you a little longer. Its been working for me, to a degree.

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark, but it's the engine/gene start battery, not house. Doesn't get much use.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,833 Posts
I have read that adding magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) CAN rejuvenate a dead battery in some circumstances. I don't understand the chemistry of why it works, but believe it does.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
One thought is that if it's just a start battery, why not take a cheap, non-deep cycle, car battery and use that until you get the right stuff. I'm thinking that CCA (minus the cold where you are Capta, and I'm jealous), is all that matters assuming the engine/gen start easily. My guess is given your operation you've got one on your dingy you can try.

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got the 1, 2, both switch, but I'm not real keen to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.
Anybody have an idea on a smaller battery for a 4-236? I've always used 4 or 8 D's.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If it's just for starting Capta, why wouldn't a car battery do it....all you need is a second or so of a pile of amps, don't need hours of power... assuming your engines start well. Even down there a gas station should have one, or maybe someone would sell you one out of a vehicle...

Try the dingy start battery if you've got one, or just get one for a car.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
I've got the 1, 2, both switch, but I'm not real keen to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.
Anybody have an idea on a smaller battery for a 4-236? I've always used 4 or 8 D's.
I've started my 4.108 with group 27 and group 29 starting batteries, and a group 29 deep cycle. Since it's warm where you are, I suspect anything will work. Now if it's cold... that's another issue.

MedSailor

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Just about any battery that will start a car will start a little Perkins by the manual I read it needs 400 CA minimum so any with over 600 CA should be just fine

·
Master Mariner
9,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are coming this way you can have mine. I'm changing both banks on Jan 15th.
Mark
Thanks Mark, but I'm still waiting for Budget to make good on the bad chain. We'll get out soon, I hope, but not that soon.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
First and foremost, you can start that little diesel with any junk car battery. Second, usually, when a single cell goes bad, it is shorted out at the base of the plates. Sometimes, just rocking the battery can solve the problem. Best bet is to visit the nearest junk yard, buy a $10 battery and you're good for another year.

Gary

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
I would get one of the cheap jump boxes. Even down there they should not be too expensive and they come in mighty handy at times.
Unfortunately, when you use a jump box you still need a working battery in order to keep things working. If you jump start the engine and still use a shorted battery, your alternator will overcharge it and belch out huge volumes of sulfuric acid gas, which is highly explosive. Not a good thing.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
541 Posts
My 0.02c is that if you buy a battery just to see you thru to PR, what are you doing to it once you buy the right battery? To me this is a bit of a wasted money and effort.
Make do with what you have - all eggs in one basket - you just need to keep an eye on that basket and make sure it does not go below 50% charge.

From Maine Sails excellent article:

"We use our switch as a "USE SWITCH" in a SIMPLE ON/OFF scenario. That's it, ON & OFF, or more accurately #1 & OFF. We do not use it as a charge directing switch, or a start on BOTH or #2 then remember to move to #1 switch. It is basically an ON/OFF switch the way we use it. Simple, effective and you likely already have one..

When we use our 1/BOTH/2/OFF switch position #2 (reserve bank) and BOTH are for an emergency only. I don't tend to think in terms of a start and house I think in terms of a reserve and house when using this switch in this configuration. This is but ONE WAY to do this as you'll see further on."

and

"It takes VERY LITTLE from your bank to start a small diesel. In fact I can not even measure 0.1 Ah of consumption from a 240 Ah bank, using a Xantrex Link Pro when starting a 44HP four cylinder diesel.

1/BOTH/2/OFF Switches Thoughts & Musings - SailboatOwners.com

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
x2

a good "reserve" battery you got for cheap or whatever and have as an emergency backup has alaways been a good practice...we used one to power our 12v electrical drills, bilge pumps and stuff in an emergency if needed...but if you have a solid house bank in good shape just use that untill you get your new good battery.

and contrary to many thoughts on the matter I have always had perfectly good results using truck batteries or non deep cycle batteries(if good brands) for routine boat work and or cruising...

as usual if the batteries are simply not taken down too much voltage wise on a regular basis then even cheap batteries can last a long time...

I have used plenty of the truck starting "sealed" or non maintenance batteries commonly found around the world on boats just fine really.

cheers

·
Old enough to know better
4,354 Posts
Unfortunately, when you use a jump box you still need a working battery in order to keep things working. If you jump start the engine and still use a shorted battery, your alternator will overcharge it and belch out huge volumes of sulfuric acid gas, which is highly explosive. Not a good thing.

Gary :cool:
Well I simply meant to supplement his house bank. The house bank should be able to start the battery till he can get someplace to reasonably replace the battery. In case it happens to draw too low you have the jump box to start the motor.

And they are handy to have on board anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.