SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I pulled nearly all the wooden cabinet work out of my Etap 26, so I can repair a very bad keel support design. In the process I found lots of mold under the plywood that covers the large keel trunk and on the trunk itself. This area doesn't get any air, and the slot for the keel height indicator lets a little moisture in I think.

A second problem is mold growing between the double hulls in the voids inevitably left in the foaming process. It appears that any deck leaks go right into the space between the hulls. I have drilled 3/4" holes through the inner hull right down at the deck and all of them have drained out nasty black water. To add to the mess, when I replaced the head I found hose that had been leaking for a long time where it passed between the two hulls!

So what to do? I was thinking maybe painting the back of the plywood surround, and the keel trunk it self with a hard bottom paint. If it keeps stuff from growing on a wet hull, would it keep mold from growing in a damp space?

How to kill the mold in the double hull? I'm thinking of sealing all the gaps into it, to isolate the mold. I thought about using a biocide. Biocides (Chlorine, bromine) stop working after they have oxidized all the organics they can.

Suggestions?

Gary H. Lucas

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,367 Posts
Just an idea - but an untested suggestion: Calcium Hypochlorite - Powdered swimming pool shock...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I work in the waste water industry, so I am familiar with oxidzers like that. The problem is that once they oxidize all the organics they can, they become inert and no longer kill any more mold.

Gary H. Lucas

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Preventing water from getting in and good ventilation are the keys to preventing mold.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts