SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this problem is unique to the Great Lakes, but Spider Season has hit, a little late this year but making it up in volume.

Every year at some point during the summer, the number of spiders on the boat shifts from a few webs in obvious places to "OMG! They're Everywhere!" And they're big, nasty, juicy suckers too.

They stay almost exclusively on the rigging and deck hardware (rather than the cabin), but it causes chaos in the cockpit when I, say, adjust the topping lift and half a dozen spiders drop into the cockpit. And we won't even get into the eight-legged rain from unfurling the jib if I don't get out for a week.

I've never been bitten, but I do get sick of the webs, the critters themselves, and the dirt/carcasses/bird crap that they attract to the boat.

I've tried cleaning them off, but twenty-four hours later, it looks just the same. I'm on a mooring so firing up the hose is not an option and going after it with a wet brush is of limited effectiveness as well.

Do others have similar problems? If so, how do you handle it?

·
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
4,526 Posts
Spider spray

My local boat store sells a spider spray that works well. A good approach is to spray your dock lines and fenders to make it tougher for new spiders to migrate onboard and then do everything possible to kill those already onboard ie spray in the enclosed areas they hide in like furlers and mainsheets. Not perfect, but will get rid of most of them.

·
Caribbean Surveyor
511 Posts
You forgot the BBQ....they love to hide in BBQ's. My wife won't open that lid until I do and there are always a half dozen that crawl out.

As far as the crap they leave behind, I use Spray Nine. I'm sure there are other strong solvents out there that will do the job. As for keeping them away, you can get a spary for that as well and from what I hear it works well.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
We were told that dryer sheets in the cabin, under cushions and in storage spaces helps keep them away. The Admiral thinks not, but it's true we don't see many in the cabin. The other thing she read works well is Ortho Home Defense. We spray it in the corners and so-on in the cabin, in the lazerettes, in corners, crevices, etc. up above, in the winch covers, tiller cover, sail cover, etc., and on the dock lines.

We get spiders, but not many and usually not very large.

JIm

·
Registered
113 Posts
Chemistry is your friend

I'm also in the Chicago area and have experienced the annual attack of the spiders. I fight back on three fronts. (1) Inside the boat I vacuum regularly and place a few Bounce fabric softener sheets around. At the end of the season when I close up the boat for the winter I use the anti-spider spray you can buy at Menards to spray inside storage areas where they might hide. (2) Outside I use a spray from Spectracide (connects to a water hose or you can mix in your own sprayer) once every week or two and spray the boat, dock lines, and along the edge of the dock. (3) I shake out the sail and wheel covers overboard each time I remove them and spray them once or twice during the height of the attacks with the same spray I use inside the boat. I would think they would be easier to control if you're on a can.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I use TEMPO inside and out on our boat.
Did you check the product labeling for that stuff? I just did. Contains verbiage such as "This pesticide is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates." "Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark." "Do not apply when weather conditions favor drift from treated areas. Drift and runoff from treated areas may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in neighboring areas."

:eek:

Doesn't sound like something you should be using on the outside of a boat that's in the water.

Jim

·
Tartan 28
103 Posts
We were told that dryer sheets in the cabin, under cushions and in storage spaces helps keep them away. The Admiral thinks not, but it's true we don't see many in the cabin. The other thing she read works well is Ortho Home Defense. We spray it in the corners and so-on in the cabin, in the lazerettes, in corners, crevices, etc. up above, in the winch covers, tiller cover, sail cover, etc., and on the dock lines.

We get spiders, but not many and usually not very large.

JIm
I have had very good success with Home Defense also and I spray all the exterior places on the boat mentioned by Jim when I leave the boat after a weekend. I'll still see spiders in the out of reach places and even had one that webbed up my windex until a good gust finally broke its hold... but overall, the number of spiders has been greatly reduced over last year.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm also in the Chicago area and have experienced the annual attack of the spiders. I fight back on three fronts. (1) Inside the boat I vacuum regularly and place a few Bounce fabric softener sheets around. At the end of the season when I close up the boat for the winter I use the anti-spider spray you can buy at Menards to spray inside storage areas where they might hide. (2) Outside I use a spray from Spectracide (connects to a water hose or you can mix in your own sprayer) once every week or two and spray the boat, dock lines, and along the edge of the dock. (3) I shake out the sail and wheel covers overboard each time I remove them and spray them once or twice during the height of the attacks with the same spray I use inside the boat. I would think they would be easier to control if you're on a can.
Yep, I shake all the covers into the water every time I go out, sweep off the webs, smash every spider I see, and yet this year they keep getting worse. I used to have a different boat closer to shore on a star dock before I bought this one and moved to the can, and it was even worse for density, just less rigging and canvas for the spiders to live in.

Sounds like some chemical warfare combined with a few days of shaking out the canvas every evening (really, honey! I'm just going sailing to get rid of the spiders! :rolleyes: ) is the best bet.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Did you check the product labeling for that stuff? I just did. Contains verbiage such as "This pesticide is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates." "Do not apply directly to water, to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark." "Do not apply when weather conditions favor drift from treated areas. Drift and runoff from treated areas may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in neighboring areas."

Doesn't sound like something you should be using on the outside of a boat that's in the water.

Jim
When given the choice of killing a few fish or a few million spiders, I go for the spiders. There is nothing that I know of that is better than Tempo to keep spiders away and we have LOTS of them at my marina. Just be careful when you apply it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The key to killing them is to go out the first night with a can of raid. Go around and spray all of them in their nests at night. Clean off the boat the next morning. That will kill most until the next weekend.

- CD

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm starting eco-friendly. I picked up some spider repellent (StarBrite Spider Away) at WM at lunch that seems to be basically peppermint oil. I'll try it tonight and will see if that, combined with sweeping & smashing, makes a difference. I figure that it'll at least smell good if the spiders don't leave.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On Lake Erie the Great Spider Plaque of 2009 is in full swing. They never go inside, for some reason, it might be the smell, but outside they are everywhere. They have a habit of climbing the mast and building webs on my wind indicator and anemometer, which is extremely annoying, since I have to wait for a good blow to break them free.

I have a spider stick in the cockpit for de-webbing and squashing purposes, I don't think insecticide is a good idea.

I tell you one thing - I don't have any problem with mosquitoes or flies, which is a bonus.

By the way - many of the spiders on the Great Lakes are balloon spiders; they spin big spinnakers and sail downwind to new homes. There will always be new spiders showing up - my advice is get a spider stick and enjoy the mosquito-free cockpit.

Best Regards,

e

.::.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just FYI: Spiders do what is called "ballooning". When the eggs hatch the little guys spew out a thread of silk and let the wind carry them to their next destination. Rigging and masts make for good catchers. I have looked up the edge of a stay and have seen hundreds of strands from the buggers that have landed on board.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In Milwaukee, I have a nice web on my windex that is impeding movement. I don't see the spiders as any worse than prior years, but they certainly are persistent and big. They tend to hide under the rubrail. Any marine friendly cures would be appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I covered things pretty well with SpiderAway tonight along with a non-trivial amount of spider smashing. I'll update with results tomorrow or Friday.

·
Sails Call
21 Posts

Jim
Since I am a trailer sailor, this application takes place in my driveway. Doesn't sound like you have much faith in your fellow sailors. Is your boat a smaller one??

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Take a spider and cut off all his little legs. Then take a length of spider silk and wrap it around his little neck and then hang the little bastard from the yardarm.

That will send a message to all the other spiders that you don't mess around. :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts