SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
wow, thanks for all of the responses and insight! I ended up driving about 5 hours away and buying that COM-PAC 23. I paid $1600 for it, but I think I got a really good deal.

the trailer is in good condition- the only thing wrong is it needed a couple of lights replaced and a bearing. I am going to rewire all of the lights and install LEDs, and probably just do all of the bearings at the same time.

it came with a 6HP Johnson, which I think might be a little small but it should work in the interim until I have a chance to upgrade. it works well but needs a tune up.

sails are in great condition, as is the hull, decking, and interior. I need to put new anchor plates on the sides, but luckily the guy I bought it from had 4/6 of them already fabricated so it should be a fairly easy fix. besides that the electrical could use some updating. all of the wires look good and everything, but they are very unorganized so ill be reding some of that as well.

i'll probably repaint the hull while I have it out of the water, since it could use a refreshening. Most importantly I have to name her!

I am probably missing a couple of things, but I am very happy with the purchase. now I can't wait to get it out on the water!

some of you guys brought up some good points about rigging the ship every time I go out. I have started to look at some slips in Petoskey, Charlevoix, and a couple of other places on lake Michigan because I would be more likely to go out if I didn't have to set up every time. but if I do that I will regret not getting something bigger, which seems to be the case anytime you buy a sailboat!

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
Good choice :)

I wouldn't rush into painting her. Even an old factory finish can be tough to improve on. Just give her a good cleaning :)

I suspect the 6hp Johnson is about the right motor for that boat. I wouldn't rush to replace it. The boat will likely only go 5 knots or so, no matter how big of an engine you put on her :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congratulation on the new boat!

Sometimes there is a third alternative to dragging the boat from home or keeping her in a slip.

Many years ago, I spent two years sailing a Sovereign 17 on Clear Lake (Galveston Bay). We kept the boat at the boatyard on the trailer. She was always fully rigged, it was just a matter of hitching the boat to the trailer and launching her at the ramp. At the time, it was a lot less money then getting a slip.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Jim,

That is a great idea! I hadn't thought about doing that. I will be looking for a boatyard where that's an option, seems like a good middle ground.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts