SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just googled the subject of deck cleaning, and my impression is that there's not a lot of good information on the net.

I have a couple techniques that have made my deck cleaning easier, which I'll share, and I'd like to hear about any tricks you may have.

1. Ditch the bucket. I'd rather wear a bucket on my head than have it sliding around on my deck with cleaning solution in it. I get tired of having to tend it while I also have to tend my boat brush and the hose.

I saw a guy using a hose, a brush, and cleaning solution in a spray bottle and thought....genius! Now, I put Starbright non-skid cleaner full strength in a plastic spray bottle and tie it to my belt. Hose the deck / spray the long handled boat brush with the cleaner a couple times / start scrubbing / hose it off / repeat in next area. Super effective, and it eliminates one third of the items you have to manage (and probably the worst of the three...stupid bucket).

2. For the worst stains, I'll sometimes resort to using liquid Clorox bleach with about 3 parts water in a spray bottle. Spray it on a small area ( bird poop) and let it sit for about five minutes, then hose it off. I seldom do this, as I can find very little info as to whether it'll cause a problem. Yellowing? I've done considerable searching on this and have found MANY opinions...anybody know with certainty?

3. I use the cheaper nozzle sprayers on my hose. Either all plastic or plastic and rubber. No metal to fall and chip the gelcoat.

4. Knee pads...I keep a pair on board for when I really want to go nuts with a handheld brush. Mine are kinda crummy and I'd like to upgrade them. They allow you to work comfortably as you scrub the tricky areas around cleats, foredecks, travelers, etc.

You?

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
Hahaha.... I ma lazy. I just use Clorox CleanUp for almost everything on the deck and head.

I spray and wait a minute or two, hose off. I seldom need to use brush at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts