SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum here, I have a 1995 Pacific Seacraft Pilothouse 32 here in St Pete, FL, I live aboard in the cooler months. Recently I have noticed water coming in through the mast step bolts, and sinking of the deck around the mast step on the starboard side. I'm guessing water has gotten in from the pilothouse windows needing to be rebedded and rotted the core (the windows were rebedded a year ago when I bought the boat). Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm going to be in NC later this month and plan on visiting the factory and asking the guys there lots of questions.

Also, my boat has a Hood Stoway mast (in-mast mainsail furler), which I do not like. I don't think this was typical for Pacific Seacraft but was wondering if anyone else has this system and if so how well (or not) it works. I am strongly considering replacing with a conventional mast but that is big $$$...

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
1995 could be early furling technology, which wasn't as good as today's. I'm not a pro on Hood Stoway. However, furling problems are most often the sail itself being blown out or the rigging/pre-bend of the mast (too much or too little). Unless that's a known inferior furling system, I would not go to the expense of replacing it, unless I was religiously opposed to furlers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thumper at the factory is a wealth of knowledge. He was instrumental in my decision to buy a PSC 34 (89)....which my wife and I absolutely love. We have purchased hardware from the factory (Chain plates and rigging) and have been very satisfied with the quality and turn around time. They are a bit more expensive than you might find in your local wharf, but you cannot beat their expertise. Have fun there you will be impressed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Forgot to post about your mast question. Most of the PSC's are outfitted with Le Fiel masts. They are still in business in California. You may want to consider going with the traditional no n furling mast....we put a track from Tides Marine on Hush's mast and we love it.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Thumper at the factory is a wealth of knowledge. He was instrumental in my decision to buy a PSC 34 (89)....which my wife and I absolutely love. We have purchased hardware from the factory (Chain plates and rigging) and have been very satisfied with the quality and turn around time. They are a bit more expensive than you might find in your local wharf, but you cannot beat their expertise. Have fun there you will be impressed.
I just want to reaffirm what has been said. One BIG reason to buy a Pacific Seacraft is the fact that the company is so helpful. I suspect that there are other well-built boats out there, but I wonder how good those factories are, sometimes decades later, at helping second, third, fourth and later owners.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed Thumper today. Looking forward to visiting the factory in a couple of weeks. Build quality and factory support were a huge factor in buying this boat - I don't mind fixing stuff due to age or owner neglect, but I don't like fixing stuff because it wasn't built right the first time. I am a little surprised that the deck around the mast step has deteriorated as much as it has, it will be interesting to see what is going on in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.