SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
504 Posts
Reaction score
Seriously, ZZ - forget doing it from the inside if it's that extensive. You can ruin the boat.

You'll never get a properly bonded core and deck. This can work for smaller areas, but if you're doing a majority of the boat...forget it.

You need to cut from the top - do it in sections - foredeck, each sidedeck, cabin top, etc.

· Registered
504 Posts
Reaction score
I'll say again that the scope of the area you're recoring is too big to do from the inside. I sincerely wish you good luck if you go that route, but I don't see a repair stretching from the companionway to the foredeck ending well.

Much of the repaired area will be under non-skid, right? Non-skid is very easy to paint with durable products like Interlux Interdeck.

· Registered
504 Posts
Reaction score
Simon - unless you're dealing with a very small area (less than 1 sq ft) then "drilling and filling" is completely inadequate. I tried it when I was intimidated by the prospect of cutting open the decks and doing a proper recore.

What I found is that a recore, in addition to being the right way of repairing it, is also far easier.

I would not use the drill and fill for a stop-gap; it makes the eventual recore much more difficult as you have to get all of that cured epoxy out of there. That's no fun and causes unnecessary damage to the remaining skin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.