SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to start this task next month on my boat. I'll be using balsa core and wanted to get some opinions on bedding hardware and using a liner as outlined in another post here on sailnet. I just want to make sure that a skim layer of FG is not required on the inside for strength. I plan to do the re-core from the inside leaving the outter decks untouched. (I know, I know).

I'll keep updating this post with pictures and progress. Hopefully I can have the repair done with 100sq ft of balsa, and minimal down time.

Here are the steps I have outlined
1. drop the mast and remove hardware
2. strip insides of anything important, vests, gear, etc.
3. start from the companionway and cut sections of deck out working my up to the bow.
4. plug all hardware holes to keep out rainwater, and allow a week to dry.
5. begin cutting and expoxying new balsa in place, same order as it was removed.
6. epoxy over all exposed balsa to seal it. Let it cure.
7. drill new holes and install hardware.
8. cut and install liner.
9. put the stick up.

WAAAY easier said than done. I'm not looking forward to this.

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How large an area are you talking about? You mention in the post going from the companionway forward. I can't fathom doing that much core work from underneath.
All of it. :D

There is no paint on the deck now, just gelcoat and I'd like to keep it that way, the outter shell is in good condition and I really don't want to hack it up if I can avoid it. The inside liner is cracking severly and coming apart, mildewed and rotting.

I guess my other question (which I've asked on a Merit site) was the thickness of the core. It looks to me like 3/8" plywood, I'm assuming I could use 3/8" end grain balsa to replace this correct?

jbondy, I plan to use adjustable "hood props" that some mechanics use. Basically a telescoping pole that can be locked into place. If those don't turn out to be cost effective, then wooden dowels cut to length will have to do.

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I can see you getting the core in place somewhat BUT i am not seeing the glass work as being that easy :eek:
I also see that as being my biggest headache. I'm open to suggestions, I don't believe theres FG on the inside as it is. Looks more like a thick coating of something else. I don't see any fibers in it even where its broken apart.

Edit: I'm planning on using Contourkore as the core material.

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought you were planning to circumnavigate Delmarva this coming spring!? :D :D :D

More seriously, would it be at all possible to unbolt the deck and flip it over to do this work? It sounds daunting, but I think it would save you a ton of time in the long run and also yield much better results.
lol, exactly why I don't want a squishy deck between me and the atlantic. ;) And besides, I tight deadline is always good motivation. :laugher

From what I've read, you need to haul the boat for "deck removal", and also make a jig so the FG deck shell doesn't twist in odd directions while you're repairing it. It's also considered to be extremely hard to refit the deck to the hull. Most of the time one or the other has tweaked while they were apart, and now doesn't fit properly.

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have some pix already on film, I'll see if I can't dig em out tonight. I'll be sure to bring a digital cam with me to get some before pictures.

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes I've checked the price of those. Its more than a $1 per sq ft increase over balsa. Marine plywood is by far cheaper. Then balsa, then the foam as far as price goes.

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for all the offers of help, I'm reading over the requirements for the fillers and resins now. Trying to decide what's the best to use. I'll probably use the West systems, but not exactly sure of everything I'll need. I've been reading their website.

Trevor,
Like I told the guy in the other thread. I have over 15 year professional experience with these type of repairs. your boat is not very far from me. Give me a call at my shop:
Motovation Cycles & Accessories 301-472-1811. (Let them know when you call it is about my boat, They screen my calls from all of the telemarketers).I will be glad to have a look at it with you and get a game plan togther. I am sure we can swap some labor back and forth between our boats!
Thanks for the offer Dan, I'm actually going down to the boat this weekend. Helping a friend move on friday, and sailing on saturday. Do you work on saturday? BTW I'm more than happy to help out others on their boats, and have connections to a machine shop if you need some strange parts. I'm a certified automotive machinist.

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I plan to document this repair the best I can to help others considering it's a pretty common problem. I got my bags packed for the weekend, going sailing saturday, and dropping the mast when we get her back in the slip. Also going to clean her out, and ready for the start on Feb 8th.

Sailormann, thanks for the tips!

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
One last question on materials, I'm looking at picking up the following and wanted to know what else I was missing. Please feel free to chime in.

Epoxy Resin 105-B 10.3 Lbs. $68.99 $68.99
This item is on sale. - Our Regular Price: $74.99 - You are saving: $6.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast Hardener 205-B 2.3 Lbs. $30.99 $30.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colloidal Silica 406-7 0.8 Lbs. $17.99 $17.99

Episize 9oz. Glass Tape 733 4.4 Lbs. $90.99 $90.99

Subtotal: $208.96

2,557 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I have two peices in place now. I do have photos but won't be able to upload them until tomorrow. I'll be down this weekend to continue the work. I may only repair about a foot in front of the chain plates this season, and complete the work next winter. We'll see how this weekend goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.