SailNet Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're replacing hatches on our boat (no, not that boat). Looking at low profile size 60 Lewmar, and the corresponding hatch made by Vetus. We've had Lewmar hatches in the past, no problems... Vetus is a little cheaper, and looks good-- wondering if anyone has had experience with Vetus hatches? Thanks-

·
19,485 Posts
The Lewmars are great, but at a price premium. The Vetus look good (nice finish, support struts etc) too.

Bomar is another hatch manufacturer still in business, you might check them out too.

Reactions: christian.hess

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're looking at self-supporting friction hinges only-- don't want the support rods. Vetus in that size has 4 hinges vs. only one on the Lemar-- if no one has bad things to say about Vetus we'll probably go with that....

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, I can just say that Lewmar has always lived up to high expectations. Customer service is excellent - they answer emails in a very constructive way, even in such a way that they do not get more things sold.

Vetus - no idea. 4 hinges is not necessaily better than one. 4 hinges ... have to be perfectly aligned.

/J

·
19,485 Posts
The 4 hinges may facilitate opening in two directions.....

·
Registered
7,864 Posts
We're replacing hatches on our boat (no, not that boat). Looking at low profile size 60 Lewmar, and the corresponding hatch made by Vetus. We've had Lewmar hatches in the past, no problems...
Lewmar low profile is, as Lewmar states, for powerboats and is not really an offshore hatch. The medium profile (which has 2 heavy duty hinges) or the Ocean series are better choices for a sailboat. Both are much stronger than the low profile series.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
go vetus!
Why?

We have an original Lewmar forward hatch on our 1981 boat. When our equally original Bomar cabintop hatch cracked after getting stepped on a few too many times, we replaced it with something we knew would last: Lewmar. Vetus hatches may be as good. We haven't had any experience with them. Perhaps you have. Please let us all know why QQ should "go Vetus".

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
why not?

please let us know why he shouldnt?

this is like what rigging is best question

unless qq gets an unbiased view from users and not just lewmar then he wont really know

I was on a boat with vetus hatches...and other vetus parts

didnt make a damn difference what I thought about a hatch

unless qq gets to test one and see one in persons and see how long it lasts it wont really matter I think

yes lewmar hatches are great...that doesnt mean there arent more options out there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To clarify, we're putting these on a trawler. Yes, a power boat. Don't kick me off the forum. We still own a sailboat, however damp she might be at the moment.

Four hinges-- interesting thought about alignment, we figure they've thought of that as well... but no, the hatch does not open in 2 directions.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have both, and I think the Vetus is a better quality hatch, but then it may be that the Lewmar that was on the boat is a low-end one. Unfortunately I don't know which model the LM is. The LM is painted; V is anodised. The V has sturdier hinges and dogs than the LM.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have both, and I think the Vetus is a better quality hatch, but then it may be that the Lewmar that was on the boat is a low-end one. Unfortunately I don't know which model the LM is. The LM is painted; V is anodised. The V has sturdier hinges and dogs than the LM.
Thanks. For sure that's Lewmar? Painted sounds strange....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts