SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're replacing hatches on our boat (no, not that boat). Looking at low profile size 60 Lewmar, and the corresponding hatch made by Vetus. We've had Lewmar hatches in the past, no problems... Vetus is a little cheaper, and looks good-- wondering if anyone has had experience with Vetus hatches? Thanks-

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're looking at self-supporting friction hinges only-- don't want the support rods. Vetus in that size has 4 hinges vs. only one on the Lemar-- if no one has bad things to say about Vetus we'll probably go with that....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To clarify, we're putting these on a trawler. Yes, a power boat. Don't kick me off the forum. We still own a sailboat, however damp she might be at the moment.

Four hinges-- interesting thought about alignment, we figure they've thought of that as well... but no, the hatch does not open in 2 directions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, just called Defender. Woman who answered said they've been selling both Vetus and Lewmar "forever." Different companies, different designs, but equal in quality and performance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have both, and I think the Vetus is a better quality hatch, but then it may be that the Lewmar that was on the boat is a low-end one. Unfortunately I don't know which model the LM is. The LM is painted; V is anodised. The V has sturdier hinges and dogs than the LM.
Thanks. For sure that's Lewmar? Painted sounds strange....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts