SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
I've been trying to wrap my head around the issue of wet deck core for some time now. I've also inspected many boats over the last 1 year or so (most pre-1985) and the vast majority show strong evidence of wet decks. I realize older boats will almost all be susceptible to wet core at some point, particularly if an owner doesn't proactively take steps to prevent leaks (re-bedding deck hardware, etc. before there is a problem). However, I'm beginning to think that I won't be able to find a boat with dry decks in my budget.

Carry on.

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Many of the boats that I've seen, even those well above my budget, have been virtual sponges.
So my question is why haven't manufacturers figured out a way to make decks strong without using core...or why haven't they figured out a way to keep cored decks from getting very wet with age...or perhaps they have and I'm just shopping boats that are too old!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.