SailNet Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have, or has anyone seen, a locker suitable for the foredeck of a Pacific Seacraft 37?

I'd like to have a locker situated behind the aft headstay. It's wasted space now because I keep a dinghy on the coach roof, extending forward almost to the stay, propped up by a stool. I'll replace the stool with the locker. The locker will be used for different things, probably including stuff related to anchoring (like my snubbing lines) or, when cruising locally, a portable generator. Ideally this locker would have a flip up back rest so it can convert into a comfy(ish) seat.

I'd welcome pointers to lockers available to buy or dimensions of custom-built lockers.

It'll be a bit more windage, but hardly significant while the dinghy is lashed there.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would add weight forward too . . .
That won't be any problem at all. I think my 37 is typical in being tail heavy even with the forward tanks full of water and diesel (but of course they don't stay full for long). I've got the heavy ground tackle up there (two anchors and lots of chain), so this will be nothing compared to that.

I seem to recall seeing a photo of a PS37 (or maybe a 40) with a locker on the forward deck, but I don't know where...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with Dave, a locker would put too much weight on the foredeck. We use a canvas bag near the mast crutches to put snubbing lines in. Plus you would really hamper movement on the deck when anchoring and when coming into a dock. More is definitely less.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Dave, a locker would put too much weight on the foredeck. We use a canvas bag near the mast crutches to put snubbing lines in. Plus you would really hamper movement on the deck when anchoring and when coming into a dock. More is definitely less.
A locker would not impede movement at all because there's already the bow of an overturned dinghy there. The dinghy extends most of the way to the staysail stay, so the space under its bow is now completely wasted. If anything, having a locker there would make anchoring easier, because now I have to go to a cockpit to get the snubber and a winch handle for the windlass, etc. This is one reason I want the locker. (But, to be fair, I couldn't open the top of a locker without lifting the dingy a bit.) As for weight, anything I put in there won't be noticed by the boat. I already have a hundred pounds of anchors hanging off the bow, lots of stuff under the forward bunk (and bulky soft stuff on top of it when on passages), a forward water tank and a forward fuel tank. Even when loaded up, the boat is still a tiny bit aft heavy. A locker just wouldn't make any noticeable difference.

·
Crealock 37
676 Posts
When I was looking to buy my 37 I saw one online that had a locker either on the foredeck or coachroof just forward of the mast. Perhaps with some diligent googling you can find an image of that one.

I too stow my inflatable aft of the staysail stay but I wouldn't be able to raise it much, as if setting on a stool or locker, without being hard up against the stay. What size dinghy do you have? (just curious)

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was looking to buy my 37 I saw one online that had a locker either on the foredeck or coachroof just forward of the mast. Perhaps with some diligent googling you can find an image of that one.

I too stow my inflatable aft of the staysail stay but I wouldn't be able to raise it much, as if setting on a stool or locker, without being hard up against the stay. What size dinghy do you have? (just curious)
Indeed, I think I may have seen that picture on the internet in the past. Maybe it's my imagination.

I have an 8.5-foot hard-bottom RIB on the foredeck. I am thinking about replacing it with a soft-bottom type (any suggestions for one that rows OK?) so that I can stow it elsewhere, possibly in this deck box I'm looking for.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I have a teak box mounted just forward of the mast that is used to store a Bauer Junior Scuba Compressor. It has a platform that is bolted to the deck and then the box sits on the top to platform - think of sewing machine box.

I also have a lid for the platform that is a couple of inches high to provide a flat surface when the compressor is off the boat as the bolts to which the compressor mounts to extends thru the base of the platform.

The box certainly limits the visibility forward when sitting in the cockpit so is only used when the compressor is deemed desirable. The box is taller then needed to enclose the compressor as it also stores a 20 foot run of corrugated 1 inch plastic hose that is used for the compressor intake and is run up the mast on a halyard to keep it away for the exhaust of the gasoline motor which drives the compressor. I am looking to cut down the size of the box so may store the hose elsewhere or come up with another solution.

The teak box was built by a third party for around $1000 a number of years ago (pre 2000). It was nicely done but was not very stout so I applied a few layers of fiberglass cloth and resin to the inside and it has held up well.

Regards

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37 | SV Crazy Fish

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just to clarify my comment about weight forward: I am not talking about balance, I am talking about angular momentum. The more weight near the ends, the greater the propensity for hobby-horsing, especially in boats like ours with long overhangs and fine entries. If you are not using your boat for going to weather on the open ocean in big seas or going to weather in inland seas in steep, short period wind waves, it's not really a problem. Go ahead and pile it on. But if you do plan to sail in these conditions, it is a problem. Also, deck sweeping, boarding seas will quickly take care of anything you have on deck that's not very strongly secured to the boat, usually doing a lot of damage as it leaves.

Dave Mancini
PSC 34 #305 "Swan"

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just to clarify my comment about weight forward: I am not talking about balance, I am talking about angular momentum. The more weight near the ends, the greater the propensity for hobby-horsing, especially in boats like ours with long overhangs and fine entries. If you are not using your boat for going to weather on the open ocean in big seas or going to weather in inland seas in steep, short period wind waves, it's not really a problem. Go ahead and pile it on. But if you do plan to sail in these conditions, it is a problem. Also, deck sweeping, boarding seas will quickly take care of anything you have on deck that's not very strongly secured to the boat, usually doing a lot of damage as it leaves.

Dave Mancini
PSC 34 #305 "Swan"
I think you are right about this Dave. My boat does hobby-horse compared to newer designs. I can see the difference at my mooring ground, which has a variety of sailboats and an incoming swell that provides a good comparison. Most of the time, ALL of the more traditional boats (including mine) move more than the new 'plastic fantastic' designs, for sure. But what's odd to me is that I don't FEEL the boat moving very much; it's quite gentle most of the time. Much of the time the newer-design boats appear to have much harsher motion. I would definitely not want to be in any of them in harsh weather.

I've got quite a lot of gear on my stern (stern arch with the usual stuff, including outboard), aft water tank of course; fridge and water heater (which I am tempted to remove) back there, etc. At the bow I've got the forward water tank, aux diesel tank under the berth and two big anchors with loads of chain. So, yes indeed, I've got heavy ends. But I was sailing single-handed in Force 7 not long ago without any problem (so nice to have the sea to myself, which I do in such weather!) and the bow always stays above waves of all kinds (including HUGE short-spaced waves coming off high-speed ferries here).

I think it's unavoidable to load up the ends on this boat if one plans to go very far, or stow lots of stuff even when not going very far. And an advantage of having stuff up front is that the boat sits flat rather than squatting at the stern.

Anything I would put in the deck box would come from the stern. Maybe it's six of one, half dozen the other (if that's the right analogy). It would amount to well under 50 pounds.

As for waves across the deck, the deck box would be no more vulnerable than the 10 jerry cans along the forward side decks or the dinghy, under which I want to position the box (behind the staysail stay, now occupied by a stool to prop up the forward half of the dinghy).

But you make good points that I must consider. I will do so more while sanding the cap rail today!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Please dont sand those caprails with any power tools!I hate to see all that beautiful teak disappearing in a brown cloud.Please use a heat gun and a scrapper they do a great job and your teak doesnt suffer.As to the deck box I've never seen or considered doing that ,my feeling is one more obstruction on the deck to be swept away by a boarding sea.My rule is never put anything on deck that you dont want to lose to a big wave.If you go to sea -it will happen.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please dont sand those caprails with any power tools!I hate to see all that beautiful teak disappearing in a brown cloud.Please use a heat gun and a scrapper they do a great job and your teak doesnt suffer.As to the deck box I've never seen or considered doing that ,my feeling is one more obstruction on the deck to be swept away by a boarding sea.My rule is never put anything on deck that you dont want to lose to a big wave.If you go to sea -it will happen.
Good luck,
Dianne and Chuck Burke S/V NiftyNickers C37 #139
Alas, sandpaper and a scraper are the only tools I can use on the cap rail. I don't have access to shore power, and haven't been able to find a heat gun that won't eat up the battery power super fast. One day I'll remove all the varnish with heat, but in the meantime I maintain it or, if it's lifting, scrape it off and apply new varnish to the wood. The varying layers of varnish don't look great, but it feels great knowing that the wood underneath is protected and can be stripped anytime (anytime I have access to shore power, that is).

All this discussion about a deck box now has me wanting to remove my dinghy from the forward deck. I guess this needs a new discussion (maybe it has been done before):

What's the best dinghy for a PS37, one that can be deflated and packed away down below?

·
Registered
186 Posts

What's the best dinghy for a PS37, one that can be deflated and packed away down below?
My current favorite is an Achilles inflatable with a Hypalon inflatable floor.
Durable, lightweight for their size.

In the past I have had Avons with interlocking roll-up floors which are heavier.
Floor is bit more durable and at times the floor would separate if rolled to tightly and was a bit of pain to put back together on the boat if this happened.

Started with an Avon RIB which was okay for trips back and forth between Long Beach and Catalina but wanted something that would stow in a smaller package and get it off the foredeck.

Sometimes store the deflated rolled up dinghy just in front of the mast between the mast pulpits. On longer trips the main salon berth is made up and inflatable sits under the extra cushion.

Another choice might be nesting dinghy mounted on the cabin top behind the mast. Something like the PT11 sold by PT Watercraft (www.ptwatercraft.com)

Marc

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My current favorite is an Achilles inflatable with a Hypalon inflatable floor.
Durable, lightweight for their size.

In the past I have had Avons with interlocking roll-up floors which are heavier.
Floor is bit more durable and at times the floor would separate if rolled to tightly and was a bit of pain to put back together on the boat if this happened.

Started with an Avon RIB which was okay for trips back and forth between Long Beach and Catalina but wanted something that would stow in a smaller package and get it off the foredeck.

Sometimes store the deflated rolled up dinghy just in front of the mast between the mast pulpits. On longer trips the main salon berth is made up and inflatable sits under the extra cushion.

Another choice might be nesting dinghy mounted on the cabin top behind the mast. Something like the PT11 sold by PT Watercraft (www.ptwatercraft.com)

Marc
Thanks for the great ideas. Is the "LSI Series" Achilles you are referring to?:

Achilles Inflatable Crafts

The PT Watercraft tender looks very nice. It seems appropriate for a Pacific Seacraft. I have wanted to use the cabin top for a dinghy, but I don't know if that one would fit on my boat. I have a rigid boom vang that might get in the way. A measurement is called for. There's also the question of ease of deployment. I don't mind spending time getting a tender into the water, but my first mate does. Whenever I want to sail someplace for lunch, which here always requires launching the tender, I get a bad look. (Then I suggest that the first mate get below and start cooking.)

To those who don't like us going off topic, apologies for discussing tenders (and lunch) in a thread about deck boxes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.