SailNet Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in the process of a repair after a demasting in my 12' O'day Widgeon. The mast step and deck were both badly damaged. I've gotten the mast step repaired and I feel pretty good about it, and now have ground away the bad fiberglass on the deck.

My general strategy is to fill in the long crack with slightly thickened epoxy and clamp, fillet everything else, then lay down several layers of new cloth and/or roving underneath. The problem with that is that access underneath the deck is tricky, and it may prove difficult to hold layers up long enough for them to dry and stick. I was toying with the idea of flipping the boat upside on blocks and crawling underneath to do it?

Is there anything I can or should try to do on the topside to try to add more strength to the deck, rather than just fill in the gaps? I was toying with the idea of filing down the wall in front of the long crack so I can lay some cloth down... and/or reinforcing the front 'shelf' area by covering it with a couple layers of mat.

I managed to repair a mast step, but I'm still a novice at this. Any experienced input would be appreciated.

Nessie deck set 1 - a set on Flickr

1 - 1 of 1 Posts