SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a continuing problem with deck shoes in that after about six months the soles glaze over and lose all traction. This has happened with Sperry Topsiders (with gum colored soles) and with Sebago (with white soles). Has anyone else had this problem and found a way to solve it?
John

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Are you using Cetol or something screwy on your decks? A touch-up with #100 sandpaper might do the trick.

·
Irrationally Exuberant
1,406 Posts
I've definitely had that happen with Sperry gum colored soles. I use New Balance training shoes (non-marking) these days.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a continuing problem with deck shoes in that after about six months the soles glaze over and lose all traction. This has happened with Sperry Topsiders (with gum colored soles) and with Sebago (with white soles). Has anyone else had this problem and found a way to solve it?
John
I know what you're talking about, but honestly have never done anything about it. Have you tried asking Sperry or Sebago?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Wear your shoes as you go walking on a sidewalk. the concrete will scuff the bottoms of your shoes for you and remove the glaze. Stay off the heavily waxed floors of the malls and mega stores also with those boat shoes.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I use to wear Teva with the spider soles. Excellent in all conditions, but unfortunately they put them on a sandal now that does not appeal to my eye. I bought some Sperry supertack, but they are like walking on ice with a wet deck......i2f

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
It's not just the surface getting slick, but over time, the bottom material hardens. For boat shoes with a smooth siped sole like the traditional Sperrys, they become REALLY slippery. That takes several years however. Taking a sander to the bottom of a pair that are still flexible isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you're talking about, but honestly have never done anything about it. Have you tried asking Sperry or Sebago?
Sebago replaced one pair after less than a year, and now six months later the replacements are doing the same thing. I like the comment about running shoes.
John

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think the trick might be to have a pair dedicated just for the boat. My Rugged Sharks are still sticky after five years but spend most of there time in the locker. 99% of the time I'm bare foot when on the boat.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I haven't had that problem, but then I bicycle to my boat and never wear my Top-siders anywhere but the boat. The exception to this is some leather Sperry sandals I wear everywhere in the summer, including cycling (not ideal, but they are very comfortable). They have been exceptionally hard-wearing, and, rare for me and my vast feet, are probably going to wear out through the sole before they wear out anywhere else. I got them for $40 at a boat show four or five years ago, and they are probably the best value I've ever had in shoes, apart from the New Balance brand (I have ridiculous wide feet).

My only complaint is that I need to put them through the washer a lot because they can get a little "strong" over time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
i2f...Teva is making a leather boat shoe now (Seasyde) with the Spider rubber non-marking sole.

Official Teva Site for Teva Sandals, Sport Sandals, Flip Flops, Water Shoes & Water Sandals - Free Shipping for a Limited Time I used to have a pair of Teva sandles with the Spider Rubber soles and know that it's sticky stuff. Saddly, they do not make that model any more...I'll try the Seasyde'rs.

I've had two pair of the Topsiders with the gum looking soles that you could walk up walls with...for a few months. To be fair, I did have a bad habit of kicking 'em off outside in the sunlight, could be the UV got to them. I think too that billangiep may have something in dedicating deck shoes to, well, the deck of a boat.

I also know that after this glazing occurs, Topsiders are useless, even if they are relegated to roof resealing work. After two coats of white sealer and 30 hours of slave labor on a 10/2 roof pitch, they killed two toenails (one on each foot next to the big toes). I don't know how but if I was into "GOTH" I couldn't have been more proud. Well, I though, socks look pretty silly with boat shoes... but maybe they'll help cushion my ailing pinkys. Blood seeping thru the white sock of my left foot wasn't the first indication that there was a flaw in my plan. The snagging and lifting of the nail, coupled with the passing out kind of seering pain was the first indicator....I surely miss my Tevas!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Wow. Okay, my solution is to not spend $80 on shoes. I got a pair of pool shoes with rubber bottoms; $8 at WalMart. If I have to replace them every season, well, that $80 gets me ten seasons. They're ugly but very grippy... and decent ventilation, too.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
In warm weather go bare foot... Just watch out for snubbed toes

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
I find the best traction is with my bare feet, though cleats and deck hardware can be awfully painful for the toes!

I also often wear Crocs and Keens. Both have decent traction for deck work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Caveat : I dont own a boat ! (yet!)

I have heard however that Squash shoes are very good on boats as they are gum soled and dry fast to remove sweat etc.

I play squash & they are about $60 Aust. for a decent pair (around 40 USD) and they are super strong double stiched etc. I can get about 10-20 games out of a pair of sneakers and squash shoes last 100+

better still, they are non marking. I dont know how they would hold up in Salt water but would imagine its relatively similar to ichy sweat :p

Dan

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I agree with those who say to keep the boat shoes on the boat and not to wear them around town on shore.
My latest pair of boat shoes are Converse All-Stars.
Great traction, but they are canvas and don't dry quickly after getting wet. That's ok onboard Julianna, but sucks on the Emily Marie. They are also very cheap compared to real deck shoes and my wife thinks they look a little gay, but I don't mind as long as they keep me on deck.

·
SailGunner
57 Posts
My "wash the deck" sandals glaze over so I thought it was the result of the Simple Green I use. I just take them home a couple of times a year and run them on the belt sander.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts